Why Does My Banshee Smoke More Out Of One Side?

nickxc

I had that problem and it drove me nuts, too. Then I changed the packing in my silencers and found that one silencer had different packing than the other, even though I bought them new. After I changed it, it smokes the same out of both sides and runs soooo much better. Prolly not what's making your's do that, but thought I'd mention it.

also, When I bought my banshee new, I found out that the carbs were way out of tune. The floats were at 2 different hieghts, 1 airscrew was at 2 turns, and the other was at 1 1/4, and they were out of synch.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya guys mine seems to run great but I just cant figure it out. the other pipe is blowing the same amount of air out but its clear and the left side is thick smoke. Ill let ya know what the head gasket does for me

My other banshee never did that???

thanks!!!!

Mine does the same thing. It pours smoke out of the right side (when cold) and a "normal" amount out of the other. Runs good and no problems. On mine, it CAN'T be the carbs bec. I have a Trinity CV setup with a 35mm PWK. So that rules out the carbs. By reading this I feel a lot better about it becuase it must be normal if that many people have that problem and it still runs good!!

• 10 years later...

Hey guys, got the same problem. It only smokes on the left side. When I put the choke completely out it smoke more on the right side and very very little smoke on the left side. But when I put the choke in the middle spot it is perfectly smoking out of both sides... don't know what's wrong really confused. I just rebuilt the engine yesterday (Top end) it was smoking fine on both sides. But today after the break in it stopped smoking... Any help is greatly appreciated. Have a trip tomorrow need to figure it out. Oops almost forgot the left side (that smoke more) has a little more heat on the pipe.

Holy fucking thread excavating! All the way back to 2004. As for the question, leak down. You said you just rebuilt the motor. Best bet is there is an air leak so do that leak down test, and btw you would get more attention if you didn't did up a thread from 2004.

Yes they are I got the sync tool also and triple checked. I never adjusted the floats or anything like that... Do you think that might be the promblem or something? Because when I turn the choke on more gas flows threw the tube that is connected to both the carbs in the middle and then the side that dose not smoke it smokes more then the other side that smoke more if choke is off. I have spare carbs that I'll change all my keys too then I'll check. Thanks I do have the manual but it does not say anything about the exhaust doing this... I don't think this matters but it's a 4 Mil.

Definitely look up the leak down tool or how to make one. Maybe some one on here close to you has one or a little knowledge to share.

You said you just did the top end and that one side quit smoking after break in? What was the cause of the last engine failure? There could be a direct correlation between the two.

I love that someone actually searched. It'll get plenty of attention (ffs^?). New replies go to the top.

Yes I has built a leak down tester a while ago there was a tutorial here. No there was no engine failure before I did the top end. It was that the engine had spacer plates and I didn't want to take a chance of it leaking and blowing the engine up. So I had my head cut by Mull Engineering (fucking great head!). Even when I got the banshee it was doing the same thing but I thought twins do that lol did the leak down test again and it held the psi for a long ass time. I checked the coolant and it's the same as before. Checked the carbs float and shit and they look good. Do you guys think if I possible mix up the bowls that it would do this? But I'm really confused because when the choke is half way on it smokes perfectly on both mufflers... what do you guys think the problem is? I have a feeling it has to be something with fuel and the carbs but I don't know how because it looks like everything is set up fine... I'm going to try to put the left side carb on the right and right on the left tomorrow. Thanks

4 mil long rod

Head cut by Mull Engineering (Pump gas)

Vforce 1 Reeds (yes I know there old)

That's basically it. Everything else on the engine is stock. Stock carbs have 320 mains and 30 pilots. 250 ft above sea level. Around 10-20 Celsius. It runs fine when you start riding it. I have a video of it idling if you guys want it.

Ok so this morning I took my carbs off to inspect them and I did not change anything in the carbs. So when I put them in and started her up they both smoke exactly the same... weird lol i wish it stays the same. Thanks for your help guys.