Runs Like Crap In The Cold

p8121

ok heres the deal

1st off I did some mods to my 02 banshee last summer...

I put on a boost bottle

Jetted one size up

K&N filter and prefilter

removed shorkel

last summer this thing was very fast, these mods really opened it up.

over the weekend I went to ride it (first time in cold weather, less then 40*F, with the mods)

First off when I started it black water looking stuff was comming from the tail pipe, looked like oil.

Also it wouldn't idle so I had to adjust the idle up on the carbs

then it kept smokeing, like it does when you first start it, only it never stopped after it warmed up, the whole ride it was smoking like crazy

after about 1.5-2 hours of riding I ran out of gas, normally (even after the mads last summer) I can go at least 3 hours or so

also I kept fouling out plugs.

I'm not sure if the oil:gas mix is right, last summer I ran 28:1 and it ran good, and hardly ever fouled out plugs.

some background on my mix. my bike is from canada and the owners manual says to run 24:1 but everyone I talk to in MI says to run 32:1 so I met in the middle. in the past this has worked fine for me.

also to make things wose it was backfireing and about 1 out of 5 throttle pushes it was real easy to push and the engine would rev real high. this makes no since to me. also the throttle cable recentaly broke and it has a new yamaha throttle cable on it.

well thats all I can think of, any info would be greatly aprecieated. I have no clue what to do from here, I'm thinking about putting it back to stock, but I really liked how fast it was last summer.

thanks in advance

oh yeah I forgot to mention, I topped off my coolant before riding, I filled the overflow jug compleatly. I dont think this would make a diff, but thought I'd mention it.

ok I can change the jets, but how do you dial in the needle?

also I read on another post that the idle jet can get varnished of ot sits for a long time. but its only been sitting for about 2 months.

also I forgot to mention that I replaced the throttle cable over the weeked too, so I had the top halves of the carbs off, I'm thinkin now that I may have created a vacuume leak. does this seem right? is there a common aera that is overlooked in doing work such as this?

Thank you

Some more info on your jetting would be good, ie what pilot,main size is in it and the needle setting,you say it ran fine in the summer ,well it's winter know and for every drop of 20 degrees you should be going up on your mains one size,a good indication of being lean is back firing.

Just a helpfull hint here,when you change your jetting make sure the choke tube goes back in place and the carb slides are in the correct way(cut out of slide facing towards the airbox)

Your lean don't run it until it's jetted correct.

DON'T PUT SMALLER JETS IN HER :angry:

Mine did the exact same thing. I got the same mods as you except the pre-filter. I also might have boyesen reeds (dunno but the sticker says it does hehe). Mine would fire right up and run great the first few days i had it (when it was warmer out) but now (a few weeks later) it would foul plugs constantly, like i would have to clean and/or switch plugs 5-6 times to get it running. I heard that in the winter the air is thinner so it gets more air then when it is warm. Instead of doing the smart thing and rejetting like everyone else, I covered part of each side of the airbox hood thing with, you guessed it, duct tape! That restricted the air just enough (in theory) that now it idles fine, and dosent backfire hardly at all. I dunno if thats what fixed it for sure but iam just telling you my experience. I did this because my clymer manual isent here yet and i dont have jets.

Can you say, redneck? B)

EDIT-now that i re-read your post, mine would cut down on the smoking once it was warm and my gas millage wasent affected that I have noticed.

Edited by CoolRaptor2001

I have recently had the similar problem but after mine warmed up it ran like a champ. Mine is jetted for out in SD. and i brought it to snow covered ohio, mine runs fine after first inital warm up. Takes forever to get started. But after warm up it runs and idles fine.

my shee is doing some weird stuff like that. I bought just some FMF silencers and a boost bottle and i put it on and it ran like a champ....although it did backfire and make some weird niose out of the tail pipe. I went out today to ride and it was about 30 degrees and it ran like shit...no power or anything! It was backfiring like a bitch and the weird thing is that it was blowing real hard out of the right silencer and hardly nothing out of the left side??? what is going on with it......

only mods....FMF silencers and a boost bottle

it was blowing real hard out of the right silencer and hardly nothing out of the left side???

Mine does that sometimes too Promo. Does your left pipe also shake around when its coming down from high rpm? Like the left cylinder is backfiring or something? Once mine is warm it usually runs fine. Iam paranoid so I constantly check the pipes to see if both sides are firing right and all that, got the oil stains on my hands to prove it :rolleyes: