straight cut gears

nyb

i am putting  a new billet basket and straight cut gears in my  motor  and having trouble with the clutch basket gear. i drove the old one out with a socket(probably my mistake) and reinstalled in the new basket. the socket removal left a small lip which i sanded out.  the inner hub is tight ,very hard to push it flush by hand and it doesnt rotate in the basket when flush. is this ok or do i need a new one. thanks for any help

I recently had the same issue only mine was wore out on a hinson.  

If you install it bound up it will run yes but as soon as you go to put in gear clutch will fully engage with clutch pulled in. NO BUENO! I almost went through the pole-barn door before I found the brake to stall the bike!

For sure you don't want it to drag or be tight unless you're looking for a wild ride!

Most machine shops have reamers and can "fit" it to the sleeve ( Spacer 278-16181-01-00).

If it's distorted to bad you'll have to pickup a good used one or get new from Redline. Either way don't pound it in or out with a socket.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chukkinsod said:

Tedder or anyone....has anyplace or anyone made the bronze bushing for sale as a wear/replacement part separate from the gear? It seems that that bushing is always the culprit as it wears but the gear good. Redline has the unit for sale as one.

Years ago Two-Stroke Shop in Australia sold the bushings separate but they're no longer in business. Besides Redline I've never seen anyone else offer it.