Klotz Question

Beat taco

i guess ive never really thought of this because ive never had an assembled motor during the winter, but from basically november- march its freaking  cold here in MI and it will be sitting in the un heated garage,  the inside of the motor can rust??

Maybe, Probably not.  I'm no expert, but it's been my understanding that some synthetic oils are slightly hygroscopic (absorb moisture). Manufacturers use additives to counteract this.  Race oils I guess often contain lesser amounts and are not recommended for long term storage. I'm betting it is a bigger problem in humid climates and in watercraft. 

Honestly, I would probably run either oil.  Contacting Klotz would be the best way to get a definitive answer.

Geez, I don't know why I ever bother posting to help others. What I share is first hand factual information and not heresay BS like 80% of what get's posted.  

And yes - Super Techniplate is hygroscopic that will rust your crank in short order under the right conditions. It doesn't take a full winter of storage. Our race season runs from the end of April through November (usually less) depending on the weather here in Northeast Ohio. 

We used Klotz Uplon for purging to help with the rusting problem.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, Ayesully810 said:

i guess ive never really thought of this because ive never had an assembled motor during the winter, but from basically november- march its freaking  cold here in MI and it will be sitting in the un heated garage,  the inside of the motor can rust??

Yes. Especially when that shed gets some sun on a cold day. Everything starts to condensate. Inside the motor is no exception. 

On 11/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, Ayesully810 said:

Yes. Always best to start it up once a week or so just to make sure the insides have oil on them.

I oil top of pistons and never start it. I just move the pistons couples of times with kick starter.

I think that starting the engine make the problem worst, cause your doing a heat cycle...

I base my comment on 40 years of experience with the storage of snowmobiles.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk