BEWARE: Tom Borrink & The Rocket Pipes

Thack82

I think Roger was saying he spoke with him the other day too. I just didn't realize he was still building pipes after the whole Hooker/Stripper deal.

He is an imbelish everything kind of guy. If you are public about everything, then folks talk shit. So he just stays off the radar yet his phone keeps ringing. It baffles me.

Two thoughts.

No amount of engineering thought, theory, and Internet diagrams is gonna change the fact that LED's hand made stuff is capable of crushing an out of the box stamped options with smooth interiors. Look at the dynos.

Second being that LED = LRD. We both know they dug their trenches in the GNCC world and dominated.

To oversimplify: Sound waves travel at....the speed of sound (which varies according to the media in which it travels and is affected by temperature as well) Not the RPM of the engine. They don't care about shape or welds as far as the speed is concerned.

Stamped pipes are just easier to mass produce consistently.

Just my thoughts...

• Like 1

Thacker, I'm confused.... It seems some of the pictures you're posting aren't yours, actually one is from a for sale ad from someone elses motor

What?

I pulled all those pictures off my phone and uploaded them to photo bucket a while back. Which pictures do you think were stollen from a for sale thread?

To oversimplify: Sound waves travel at....the speed of sound (which varies according to the media in which it travels and is affected by temperature as well) Not the RPM of the engine. They don't care about shape or welds as far as the speed is concerned.

Stamped pipes are just easier to mass produce consistently.

Just my thoughts...

Your absolutely right the temperature of the gases inside the expansion chamber does effect the speed of the pulse waves traveling inside the pipe. With a tuned two stroke exhaust system the sound waves should match the engines RPM or be very close in order to achieve maximum efficiency and power gains.

IMG_0200_zpshfzvlxsv.png

IMG_0200_zpshfzvlxsv.png

My pipes were going to be hand built using a hydroforming method vs the conventional hand coned method that's used by most pipe builders. Ron Borrink developed and perfected a hydroforming method that was repeatable and very precise and he engineered the original equipment and tooling that was required to build one off custom pipes using this method. That's why Tom needed me. He had been around all the equipment and tooling that his brother designed and built and he knew how everything functioned but he didn't know how to go about recreating it and exactly what components would be required from other random pieces of machinery and function together. I basically designed and engineered the Tom's new pipe hydroforming pipe building equipment from what he remembered and was able to tell me about the equipment he used when he was working with Ron building custom pipes 12+ years ago. As you can see from the picture below I succeeded on recreating the equipment.

The method Ron developed and used is pretty damn impressive. Their pipes started out as two flat pieces of sheet metal that were welded together, then blown up like a water balloon. There's a lot more to it that but it's Ron's method and out of the respect I have for him I won't divulge the specifics of the process or the equipment they used in order to build pipes.

IMG_0567_zpsxhm41x5e.jpg

• Like 1

Two thoughts.

No amount of engineering thought, theory, and Internet diagrams is gonna change the fact that LED's hand made stuff is capable of crushing an out of the box stamped options with smooth interiors. Look at the dynos.

Second being that LED = LRD. We both know they dug their trenches in the GNCC world and dominated.

I never said Arlen didn't make awesome pipes. I've heard Tyler tell more than one person that the LED Custom Pipes are constructed from thin material and the finish or lack there of doesn't hold up very well in wet muddy conditions. I wasn't concerned about their performance abilities as much as their ability to hold up and endure the environments they will be exposed to in the terrain I ride in.

and I'm still not saying they won't be fine, I simply stated I had some concerns based of what I heard from the guys that run the LED pipes. The pipes I was involved with we're not out of the box stamped pipes that were produced in mass quantities for your run of the mill Banshee.

I never said Arlen didn't make awesome pipes. I've heard Tyler tell more than one person that the LED Custom Pipes are constructed from thin material and the finish or lack there of doesn't hold up very well in wet muddy conditions. I wasn't concerned about their performance abilities as much as their ability to hold up and endure the environments they will be exposed to in the terrain I ride in.

and I'm still not saying they won't be fine, I simply stated I had some concerns based of what I heard from the guys that run the LED pipes. The pipes I was involved with we're not out of the box stamped pipes that were produced in mass quantities for your run of the mill Banshee.

Wait, what?

You never heard me say that shit.

Arlan's pipes are pretty beefy.

They get beat on in the dunes when it's rough as fuck.

All pipes break at some point, end of story.

I've been pretty neutral up to this point, but don't start talking about shit I never said.

Thack, sorry for the mean things I said. I can be impatient at times. I love the idea of the big PV motors.

No problem man, I was beginning to think I was the only one that liked the PV Cheetah. Lol

The Cheetah is a very capable power plant if they are ported and built properly and the correct component combination is used. If you decide to build one someday hit me up and do what I can to help you.

I don't recall ANYONE saying that the LEDs won't/don't hold up. It's INCREDIBLY hard to make a set of out of frames live, particularly on a hill bike, which is where most of those pipes are at! I have held, tinked, knocked, squished, etc. a few sets of LEDs and they are built much more stout than a couple others I have fucked with. I would think that with in frames they would be as good, or better than nearly any pipe on the market. I'd like to see where someone has indicated they are not well built.

No problem man, I was beginning to think I was the only one that liked the PV Cheetah. Lol

The Cheetah is a very capable power plant if they are ported and built properly and the correct component combination is used. If you decide to build one someday hit me up and do what I can to help you.

When did you start gathering parts for this motor? Has it ever ran? It's a 10mil?

Wait, what?

You never heard me say that shit.

Arlan's pipes are pretty beefy.

They get beat on in the dunes when it's rough as fuck.

All pipes break at some point, end of story.

I've been pretty neutral up to this point, but don't start talking about shit I never said.

I know you have been Tyler and I appreciate it. Back when you went from Shearer's to LED a guy ask you about putting a set of LED Custom Pipes on a trail bike that was rode in mud and water on a regular basis. He was pretty much asking if they would flash rust and discolor, and you told him you sprayed and wiped yours down with WD40 to prevent this from occurring but the raw finish probably wouldn't hold up very well in those environments..... are you sure you didn't say something along those lines? It wasn't anything you meant in a derogatory way.

Maybe I dreamed that, but I thought for sure I saw you tell somebody that. Maybe you were messing with them and I took you literally. If I misspoke I apologize.

When did you start gathering parts for this motor? Has it ever ran? It's a 10mil?

I guess you could say I accumulated the parts and components over a two year period. It took reputable builder just over 16 months to build, granted a lot of the wait can be attributed to $1,850 Crank Work's 10 mil Billet Short Rod Crank that has 115mm Pro-Rod's that I went with and had to wait on. Last time I added everything up I had over $13,800 in the 10 mil motor on modified stock cases and the related components (exhaust, carburetors, clutch, transmission, etc) labor included. I can say with 100% certainty that I did everything possible to insure maximum reliability, performance, and efficiency from start to finish with this 10 mil Cheetah.

and it's hard to say how much all the machine shop labor and materials that were sponsored would have cost that was done for free. I can assure you it's built as good as it it possibly could be.

I guess you could say I accumulated the parts and components over a two year period. It took reputable builder just over 16 months to build, granted a lot of the wait can be attributed to $1,850 Crank Work's 10 mil Billet Short Rod Crank that has 115mm Pro-Rod's that I went with and had to wait on. Last time I added everything up I had over $13,800 in the 10 mil motor on modified stock cases and the related components (exhaust, carburetors, clutch, transmission, etc) labor included. I can say with 100% certainty that I did everything possible to insure maximum reliability, performance, and efficiency from start to finish with this 10 mil Cheetah.

and it's hard to say how much all the machine shop labor and materials that were sponsored would have cost that was done for free. I can assure you it's built as good as it it possibly could be.

So much money into a Cheetah. I think u win for most expensive two cyl Cheetah

I wanted to build a recreational rider and trail bike that made huge tq numbers and a usable power curve that was capable of withstanding the abuse of being rode in the woods, but also produced enough raw power to smoke any non-drag oriented quad that wanted to line up against it. I also wanted a strong lightweight chassis that handled good without causing the rider to be fatigued so bad that they could barely get off their bike at the end of the day. That's were the long travel chromoly frame that I designed comes in. It should be a really nice Banshee when I'm done with it.