Motor mounts

Tedder

• 3 weeks later...

I've made two different styles and tested both. The first set I made I bought a set of OEM mounts off eBay that were chrome plated, had them cryroed, and ordered a set of polyurethane bushings from Helm. They worked very well but the Helm Bushing's didn't have the vibration dampening properties I was looking for for my particular setup because the compound harder than I would have liked.

So I gave that set to a buddy of mine on Facebook and I completely reengineered the entire mount from the ground up. I've actually got a extra set of the upgraded lower dog bone mounts that I built if your still looking for a set Tedder. The mounts I designed and built are made from hardened stainless and they use a self lubricating Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing's that have the correct compound shore rating for these applications. I put in the time when I engineered this set of upgraded mounts.

Let me know if your interested.

Thanks,

Jim

I've made two different styles and tested both. The first set I made I bought a set of OEM mounts off eBay that were chrome plated, had them cryroed, and ordered a set of polyurethane bushings from Helm. They worked very well but the Helm Bushing's didn't have the vibration dampening properties I was looking for for my particular setup because the compound harder than I would have liked.

So I gave that set to a buddy of mine on Facebook and I completely reengineered the entire mount from the ground up. I've actually got a extra set of the upgraded lower dog bone mounts that I built if your still looking for a set Tedder. The mounts I designed and built are made from hardened stainless and they use a self lubricating Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing's that have the correct compound shore rating for these applications. I put in the time when I engineered this set of upgraded mounts.

Let me know if your interested.

Thanks,

Jim

Yes Sir, Very interested

Could you PM me

Thanks,

Ted

Here a few pictures of the first set I built using a set of chrome plated stock motor mounts that I had cryro treated. The Helm Bushing's are not self lubricating so a synthetic grease and conditioner that's specificly formulated for polyurethane was required for optimum bushing life and performance that's why this set of lower mounts has stainless steel grease fittings. This set of mounts would have been great for high horsepower drag racing application they had a 90 shore rating but the bushing compound was to hard and didn't have the vibration dampening properties I was looking for because I was building a high horsepower trail motor (10 mil PV Cheetah) to ride and use for recreational applications where durability and vibration reduction would be a top priority. So I gave this set to a friend of mine William Wiant to use on a 421cc Cub that he was building to drag race and play on and I went back to the drawing board with armed with the information I had learned from this first set of prototype upgraded motor mounts.

image_zpsj9vp6pq2.jpeg

image_zpsxduznqpv.jpeg

image_zpswkjgyhi9.jpeg

image_zpsv3ftxlkb.jpeg

The upgraded lower mounts in the pictures bellow are the ones that I reengineered using what I had learned from the prototype set I built and gave away. These upgraded mounts are constructed from hardened stainless steel and I used bigger material to increase strength. I knew that Helm made great polyurethane bushings but they weren't the correct compound. So I started researching shore rating and how it effects the polyurethane compound and its ability to absorb vibration. The OEM stock rubber bushing's has a 30 shore rating which is soft and great when it comes to absorbing vibrations produced by the engine. So I called Energy Suspension and Prothane and spoke with their chief design engineers about the application I was needing bushings to see if they had a polyurethane bushing that had all the characteristics I was looking for in the correct size. Unfortunately they didn't make a bushing to fit the Banshee's Lower Motor Mount's that wouldn't allow the engine to flex and move, that wouldn't waller out with use, that also had good vibration absorption properlies. After some thought I came up with a solution. I could increase the diameter of the polyurethane bushing and by doing so increase the vibration dampening property of a harder stronger polyurethane bushing. So I did the math and called the engineer back at Energy Suspension and ran everything by him and gave him the dimensions/specs on the polyurethane bushings I needed and he was able to cross reference the numbers and get me the part number for the polyurethane bushings I needed. I chose Energy because they offered a self lubricating polyurethane bushing that didn't require the polyurethane grease/conditioner that's $55 per tube.

The pictures bellow are the end result.

image_zpsdsgdm7p3.png

image_zpsk9opj46x.jpegimage_zpscrgndcjt.png

image_zpsfrncgtes.jpeg

I just want to make it clear I in NO WAY designed and built these upgraded motor mounts to sell, I built them to solve a issue I was likely going to face sometime in the future if I didn't eliminate the weak link before installing a bigger motor.

1. I didn't design or build these upgraded motor mounts to use in place of the JDS Custom's (BHQ Sponsor) Billet Engine Support. This set of mounts was designed to use in conjunction with the JDS Billet Engine Support in high horsepower applications. In NO WAY am I trying to take business from a site sponsor or show the superiority of my upgraded motor mounts compared to other products available on the market to help solve similar issues and problems.

2. I didn't get on here for any other reason other than to help a fellow Banshee owner that was looking for and asking about something that I had done and have extensive knowledge on. So I would very much appreciate it if Zilla AKA Slob would set this one out and keep his mouth shut! I don't need his critiquing, I don't care what he thinks, ect. This set of mounts was not designed for a 349cc stock cylinder engine with a mono-pipe and mono-carb like he had.

3. Yes, these mounts are slightly heavier than the stock mounts I've got the exact amount value in CAD program I used but I don't have that value right in front of me. IMO it's not enough to make a significant difference or create a negative effect of any sort.

I hope this prevents the usual shit storm roast that surrounds everything I reply to or post on here. Maybe somebody will find the information I've provided in this reply post beneficial and useful for their own application. Thanks

Here we go! I knew you'd be on here running your mouth Slob that's why I ask you to set this one out keep your comments to yourself but you'd rather get on here and litter this thread with stupid comments, theory's, opinion's and make sure you make the useful information in this thread almost impossible to find. If I owned this site you'd be gone.

and don't even start acting like you don't drop my name, you bring me up in half the post you reply to and used in a derogatory way to run me down and I over look it and smile ang go on because I consider the source.

I did what I could to make the R3's happen. I still believe both those designs are close to if not the best pipe designs ever created. I designed all the hydro forming equipment and tooling required to build custom pipes and footed the bill for it and Tom broke in my shop and stole everything I had built along with two welders, my plasma cutter, and a bunch of other stuff.

Once again I was trying to contribute to the Banshee Comunity in the ways that I could. That's more than you can say.

I can post screen shots with examples of you running my me down and using my name but your not worth the effort. This is exactly what I was trying to prevent. I thought I'd try to contribute to this forum one more time and I was hoping you'd STFU just one time. Does this site have any moderators?

That's right, but the cup sits flush inside the mount that makes contact with motor, it acts as a shim and prevents the bushing from rubbing against a uneven serface. The Energy Bushing's don't require a steel sleeve the bolt fits right in the bushing and the material is strength exceeds what is actually needed.