Motor mounts

Tedder

Here a few pictures of the first set I built using a set of chrome plated stock motor mounts that I had cryro treated. The Helm Bushing's are not self lubricating so a synthetic grease and conditioner that's specificly formulated for polyurethane was required for optimum bushing life and performance that's why this set of lower mounts has stainless steel grease fittings. This set of mounts would have been great for high horsepower drag racing application they had a 90 shore rating but the bushing compound was to hard and didn't have the vibration dampening properties I was looking for because I was building a high horsepower trail motor (10 mil PV Cheetah) to ride and use for recreational applications where durability and vibration reduction would be a top priority. So I gave this set to a friend of mine William Wiant to use on a 421cc Cub that he was building to drag race and play on and I went back to the drawing board with armed with the information I had learned from this first set of prototype upgraded motor mounts.

image_zpsj9vp6pq2.jpeg

image_zpsxduznqpv.jpeg

image_zpswkjgyhi9.jpeg

image_zpsv3ftxlkb.jpeg

The upgraded lower mounts in the pictures bellow are the ones that I reengineered using what I had learned from the prototype set I built and gave away. These upgraded mounts are constructed from hardened stainless steel and I used bigger material to increase strength. I knew that Helm made great polyurethane bushings but they weren't the correct compound. So I started researching shore rating and how it effects the polyurethane compound and its ability to absorb vibration. The OEM stock rubber bushing's has a 30 shore rating which is soft and great when it comes to absorbing vibrations produced by the engine. So I called Energy Suspension and Prothane and spoke with their chief design engineers about the application I was needing bushings to see if they had a polyurethane bushing that had all the characteristics I was looking for in the correct size. Unfortunately they didn't make a bushing to fit the Banshee's Lower Motor Mount's that wouldn't allow the engine to flex and move, that wouldn't waller out with use, that also had good vibration absorption properlies. After some thought I came up with a solution. I could increase the diameter of the polyurethane bushing and by doing so increase the vibration dampening property of a harder stronger polyurethane bushing. So I did the math and called the engineer back at Energy Suspension and ran everything by him and gave him the dimensions/specs on the polyurethane bushings I needed and he was able to cross reference the numbers and get me the part number for the polyurethane bushings I needed. I chose Energy because they offered a self lubricating polyurethane bushing that didn't require the polyurethane grease/conditioner that's $55 per tube.

The pictures bellow are the end result.

image_zpsdsgdm7p3.png

image_zpsk9opj46x.jpegimage_zpscrgndcjt.png

image_zpsfrncgtes.jpeg

I just want to make it clear I in NO WAY designed and built these upgraded motor mounts to sell, I built them to solve a issue I was likely going to face sometime in the future if I didn't eliminate the weak link before installing a bigger motor.

1. I didn't design or build these upgraded motor mounts to use in place of the JDS Custom's (BHQ Sponsor) Billet Engine Support. This set of mounts was designed to use in conjunction with the JDS Billet Engine Support in high horsepower applications. In NO WAY am I trying to take business from a site sponsor or show the superiority of my upgraded motor mounts compared to other products available on the market to help solve similar issues and problems.

2. I didn't get on here for any other reason other than to help a fellow Banshee owner that was looking for and asking about something that I had done and have extensive knowledge on. So I would very much appreciate it if Zilla AKA Slob would set this one out and keep his mouth shut! I don't need his critiquing, I don't care what he thinks, ect. This set of mounts was not designed for a 349cc stock cylinder engine with a mono-pipe and mono-carb like he had.

3. Yes, these mounts are slightly heavier than the stock mounts I've got the exact amount value in CAD program I used but I don't have that value right in front of me. IMO it's not enough to make a significant difference or create a negative effect of any sort.

I hope this prevents the usual shit storm roast that surrounds everything I reply to or post on here. Maybe somebody will find the information I've provided in this reply post beneficial and useful for their own application. Thanks

Hey jim id be interested in a set of these at your leisure to make them if you wanted to make some or have a set around also

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The Energy Suspension Polyuathane Bushing Part Number for the bushings that I used in the lower dog bone motor mounts is:

PN: 98105R

The Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushing's that are needed for the lower mounts are cheap. A package of 10 is less than $15 if I'm remembering correctly. I built two sets when because I had enough bushings and material to make a additional set when I made mine and I still had a few bushings to keep on hand just encase I needed them. So I only have one spare set for sale and I probably won't make anymore do to the negative publicity and termoil that surrounds everything even remotely affiliated with me or my bike. I would have to pay people to buy them. Lol, but I'll help anybody in any way I can. These motor mounts really do make a big difference, I think everybody will like them and see benefits even on smaller power plants.

Those are the ones I care about.

I'd like info on those

I've got the packages and part numbers in a binder that I keep notes, diagrams, instructions, and receipts in down at my shop. I'll get those next time I'm down there. With that being said, getting the OEM Rubber Bushing's out of the center cases is a bitch! It's by no means a easy task. I think you'll have to have the cases split and empty so you can get them in a upright hydraulic press and press them out. I don't think there is any way to safely remove the factory center case motor mount bushing's with the engine assembled and do it without risking doing damage to the cases. That's just my opinion, mine were a nightmare to get out, and Energy sells small packages of synthetic lubricant that's formulated with a polyurethane conditioner, you'll need that grease to press the new bushings in without damaging them.

If you look at the picture I attached you'll notice the Energy Suspension Polyuathane Bushing's for the cases use a zinc plated hardened steel sleeve like the OEM Rubber Bushing's come with from the factory. The new replacment sleeves that come with the polyurethane bushings float unlike the OEM bushing sleeves. They work great, just apply a thin coat of the Energy Polyurethane Grease and Conditioner slide them in place and wipe away the excess and your good to go.

I went ahead and but the bullet and bought new titanium motor mount hardware and titanium nylon lock nuts and had my buddies at the machine shop that sponsor my Banshee machine me a new set of billet aluminum side mounts. The new upgraded motor mounts, polyuathane bushings, JDS Billet Engine Support/Chariot Billet Stator Cover, and ti motor mount hardware really came together and made for a nice setup. I'm surprised JDS Custom's or one of the other site sponsors doesn't offer a complete upgraded combo similar to the one that I put together for my bike. Maybe if you guys show enough interest JDS will put a complete kit together.

image_zpsa40wwnt6.jpeg

image_zpstkc2dkru.jpeg

See, this is useful info and nice shit.

But if you go back to talking about hitting bowling ball size rocks with your front tires we will make fun of you.

Carry on.

That was a analogy, so was the rides like a trophy truck comment I made. I was trying to explain the substantial difference I saw between the old standard travel 2007 YFZ-450SE Hybrid Suspension Component's w/ FullFlight A-Arm's and the new long travel 2011 YFZ-450X Hybrid Suspension Component's with Metal Tech A-Arm's. I'm sorry I didn't mean for that to taken literally, I know my bike doesn't have 50" of front suspension travel like a trophy truck. I guess it's hard to differentiate or tell the difference when something is being typed and the person reading it isn't there to hear the statement being said.

I've changed quite a few of those mounts. I actually did a quick write up in the tech section.

Only one set gave me a hard time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'll have to check that out. I swear I thought I was going to bust the cases getting the old set out when I did mine.

I'm still working on my new chromoly long travel frame. I'm in between jobs at the moment and funds dryed up on me pretty quick, I left Purnell after 11 years of employment as their primary environmental engineer and the environmental manager, as soon as I get back to work and everything levels back out I'll be back on that chassis. I really think you guys will be impressed with what I've created when it's finished. I plan on running Walsh Racecraft YFZ-450R A-Arm's, a +2 Heavy Duty Stellar Arched Ladder Swingarm, YFZR Fox Float-3 Front Shock's, and a Long Travel Dual Rate Fox Podium Rear Shock w/ Remote Resi. It should be a really nice bike when it's finished.

I'll be leaving it together this time and riding it with my existing suspension and the factory frame. The 17 months my bike was down while I had my new 10 mil built was rough and all the riding I missed out on almost killed me. When I have the new powder coated, gusseted long travel chromoly frame and all the aftermarket upgraded suspension components laying in my shop and ready to go I'll take a weekend and start transplanting the engine and other components over onto the new chassis. After I've got that done I'm done.

I've been adding a few upgrades and making a few improvements to the rear of my bike this week. I've about got everything ready to go back together now but everything has giving me fits that possibly could. I'm the worst about stripping shit out or breaking it off when I take it apart. Being dyslexic is a bitch. Lol

image_zpspal10irg.jpeg

image_zpsovrksqzz.jpeg

I'm running a plus 2 heavy duty heat treated axle in the rear and a negitive offset dish on my front wheels. My total with matches YFZ-450X front and rear right now. I'm just a recreational trail rider that occasionally races. Thanks for the input though. I know the YFZ spindles and hubs made a big difference up front.

imagejpg1_zps01e9cb14.jpg

Whatever you say Leadger, if I wrote less and left out the details and specifics you'd smart off about lack of detailed information. The average person reads roughly 1,000 words per minute with 85% comprehension, evidently your bellow average.... Why is that my fault? I don't remember asking you to read anything I posted, but I appreciate your valuable input anyway.