At Glamis, overheating like crazy

JasonB

First day out here riding this bike I just put together and it's overheating like crazy. I get 15 minutes in and it's seeing 230-240 degrees on my gauge so I have to shut it down to cool. Is my jetting too lean maybe?

2006 banshee fresh top end

+4 timing, 22cc domes

Clean new air intake

Tors delete

Rejetted carbs with 30 pilots and 310 mains

Slp pipes and a cool head

Upgraded water impeller and oversized radiator

8 paddle extremes

I'm 245 lbs and it's in the mid 80's here temp wise. Any ideas about why this thing is getting so hot? I thought it was going to run around the 220 range at its hottest.

Plugs looked light brown ( more so than I'm comfortable with) so I tossed in the 350 mains since they are the only ones I have bigger than the 310's in it. Just rode it a few short trips around the sand and it's still fucking heating up to 240+. I have a stock grill and everything so no blockages for the rad. It's dribbling little bits of coolant from the area where the radiator is which doesn't make sense since the overflow bottle is hooked up.

Going to see if I can't find a leak down tester out here but i think I'm SOL

It's dribbling little bits of coolant from the area where the radiator is which doesn't make sense since the overflow bottle is hooked up

Radiator leaking? System not holding pressure could cause it to overheat. Use an infrared temp gun to check actual temps on engine.

Edited by Time Machine
  • Like 2

Plugs looked light brown ( more so than I'm comfortable with) so I tossed in the 350 mains since they are the only ones I have bigger than the 310's in it. Just rode it a few short trips around the sand and it's still fucking heating up to 240+. I have a stock grill and everything so no blockages for the rad. It's dribbling little bits of coolant from the area where the radiator is which doesn't make sense since the overflow bottle is hooked up.

Going to see if I can't find a leak down tester out here but i think I'm SOL

Go to vendors and buy a few more jets. Last stock bike I rode in glamis with your similar mods ended up with 320 main and 30 pilots on fmf pipes. Also if you want to be safe back off the timing to 0 till you figure out the jetting.

Post pics of your plugs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

once it cools down;  pop the radiator cap and start it;  see if the water is circulating.  It could have melted or broke the water pump gear or impeller.

If it has sat a long time, the radiator could be clogged.  When you pop the radiator cap off, look in the radiator and see if the passages are blocked at all.

Head gasket or oring could be bad which would cause a problem too.

Good luck,

Let us know what you find out.

Found an infrared gun and went for a rip. Bike was reading 180 on the gauge but when I pointed the gun at the gauge the highest reading I could get on any part of the gauge housing was still 30 degrees less than the dial was reading. The cool head was reading close to the same temp as the gauge though but I don't know it that's normal or tells you anything. Should I be trying to read any certain parts on the motor with this gun to get an accurate reading?

Should I be trying to read any certain parts on the motor with this gun to get an accurate reading?

The hottest water should be at the front of the head where the hose comes out and goes up to the top of the radiator. Check where that hose connects to the head.