Driveline Performance Cylinders

BANSHEE HP

Sorry for the delay:

The first testing is on my 7mil motor. I strictly drag race this bike so the port timing is 198/128. I wanted to do the testing in stages so on this set of cylinders all I did was port the exhaust and the triples. I did most of the work on the main exhaust port re-shaping it and raising it to the 198 duration. The triple ports were also raised and opened up slightly. The intakes are as casted and the only thing I did to the transfers is match the bottom of the cylinder sleeve at the transfer point to the same radius as the pistons have on the sides of the skirts ( If that makes any sense). I did use my new pistons with the raised intake windows which definitely helped the intake volume on these cylinders seeing as there are no boost ports.

The domes I used are not optimal at all but I was not able to cut a set the way I wanted in time so I used what I had. They are 19cc domes with a 9.5mm wide squish band and .053" squish clearance. ( When I re-cut a new set I'm looking for .040" - .042" clearance) The cranking compression came out to 175lbs so I used 110 octane Race gas.

The carbs are 38mm Keihins with v-force 2 reeds and UPP intakes (I hate billet intakes) 7 degree's advanced ignition timing. I tested it with 2 sets of pipes so far the first test was Shearer big bore inframes and it made 94H.P. with 50 lbs of torque with peak power at 9800 rpm's. The second set of pipes were Shearer small bore OOF's and it made 96.5H.P. and 51 lbs of torque with peak H.P. at 10,000 rpm's. The big bore inframes had a stronger front side on the curve but made a little less peak power. 

I want to test with a bigger set of carbs and fix the squish clearance in the near future and hopefully try to reach a 100H.P.  I do have graphs to post and will try to get them up as soon as possible. If you guys have any questions I will try to answer them as best I can.    

• Like 2

Friggin eh! Interesting results with the big bore vs. Small bore. Being a fella that hot laps, that is an important factor. Wondering how well something with say a 194ish exhaust and lots of transfer work and proper domes would run with some CPI's.

• Like 2

For sure. For me I would love the over rev on big 1/2 mile ovals, but my inframe shearers start to get heat soaked after about 5 laps on big tracks. I would love to try a big bore pipe to see if it would resist that a bit and if it was that close in performance I would totally settle for a little earlier curve and couple less peak. It's only a 4mm though so not quite apples to apples.

• Like 1

This was a stock stroke trail port we did on a bike a few months back. Stock head, 30oko, full air box, fmf fatty with spark arrestors. The green line was baseline, red and blue are after tuning.

20150727_175006.jpg

This is a stock 2006 yfz. Red is baseline Blue is air box lid removed, k&n filter with a pre-filter screen cover, the stock spark arrestor swapped for a vitos higher flow version.

20150727_173710.jpg

The dyno is a dyno jet 188. Basically the industry standard as far as chassis dynos go. WIth new a/f meter this year, new tower software the year before. It reads that same as many dynos around the country.