2 stroke VS 4 stroke

camatv

jap bikes aint bad. atleast the honda and yamaha. cant say i would ever want a kawi or suzuki. still ill take a newer model ktm anyday over a jap machine but thats just me.

some have electirc start but i never had a desire for it. adds weight and the engine starts within a couple kicks so i never seen much point in it

if you want 6spd youll need to get a newer engine. cant recall exact year off top of my head. might of been '11+. theres 2 versions of the 6spd. a fairly close ratio with eqaully spaced gears and the other one has a bit wider gaps on some of the gears. and you have a close ratio 5spd also.

hottest setup is the 250sx with 300 cylinder. thats what i did and im happy with it. havent done any engine work yet and its got quit a bit of power. even without the 300 cylinder they run darn good with a hair less torq

I would never get a 4 stroke KTM. They are not reliable.(jmo). I have never owned one, but I know people who have had them. Nothing good to say about them.

But I have heard only good things about KTM 2 stroke engines. One 125cc KTM 2 stroke is made by Yamaha (..and share some waterpump parts with a Banshee) :)

some have electirc start but i never had a desire for it. adds weight and the engine starts within a couple kicks so i never seen much point in it

You've obviously not stalled in the middle of a long steep hill. Usually happens a few feet after a real bad section so rolling backwards is not a good option. Front brakes don't hold shit. You have to grab the fronts, apply rears with your right foot and kick start with your left. Hoping you don't slide back to much the whole time. I would sacrifice a little weight for push button starts any day.

this ktm talk is kinda funny to me...   considering

i have a spare yfz450 chassis and found a 99 ktm 380 mx bike in pieces.  after deciding it needed way to much to get back running i parted it out.  NOW i am highly considering using the exc 300 engine..  after looking and reading about all the differnt 2 stroke 250cc+ engines and considering the vibration issues or rubber mounting with a big bore..  i decided the 300-380 ktm is one of the best ways to go.  the powervalve setup in the 380 was really amazing.  it closed the triples AND lowerd the exhaust port height at low rpm's no wonder it has bad ass low end  and a screaming top end..  for those that dont understand what that means the engine has a higher compression ratio at lower rpms and then loosesn up and the triples add a ton of port area at higher rpm's.  the ktm 300 in stock form is around 52-55 hp..  

i wouldnt build a sphynx or really any 250r based lower end just because of the loss of available parts.  there is a nice aftermarket there for them but the KTM engines are really appealing to me.  they have BIG transmisison gears, nice big modern clutch basket, and even roller bearing transmission gears  thats fucking bad ass..   

i did consider big bore motors for a little while.  BUT kx500 would have been what i would use but i cannot find one thats in good enough shape to run  and i dont really want to have to buy a complete bike in really good shape to get the motor...   cr500  well i already have one of those  and to get it to run good wasnt that hard.  parts are pretty cheap overall BUT i want a revver like the old r's were without the clutch issues, transmisison, shift fork, and case expense 

the suzuki lt500's 250's bla bla bla  were ok BUT they did use really shitty alluminum and steel.  hell some of the dirt bikes were plagued with foot pegs breaking off etc.. 

speaking of the UTV area  imagine a artic cat or BPR 1200cc triple or 4 cyl 2 smoke turbo factory in a SXS.....  with BPR releasing the turbo maverick its just going to get more extreme..  utv's are fun  but its no atv..  

That KTM build does sound cool. I broke 2nd gear on a 443cc Puma and a 370 ProX both went straight through the left case. I been thinking of building another one now that Led makes good trans gears for them. Wish the Billet trans didn't just come in an override, and even that is hard to get now. I switched from the R to the Banshee because of getting hard to find parts and I'm tall and 40yrs old now and the Banshee is more comfortable for me. After riding the LTR Saturday I'm gonna get rid of that and keep the banshee. I always wanted to build a 370R Duner with all the 86 colors gold rims etc but setup with +6 swinger.