421 serval pipes?

Yes that airbox kills power. Much the same as the aluminum box from PRM kills power in testing.

Stock airboxes (even with the lids off) are even worse.

Pods make the best power and with an entire riding career using pods.....I can say, that theory about motor failures being related to pod use is complete hogwash.

Dirty filters and filters that are not sealed to the carb or airbox correctly will "Dust" a motor easily and you can ride the rings/bearings out of a motor in a single ride.

Pods with Outerwear's are perfectly safe for use and are the least restrictive in terms of power.

The #1 cause of motor failure is stupidity.

Lean jetting, poor quality oils, running motors with piston slap, junk fuel, making mods and not adjusting jetting.....all = user error.

Motors are very reliable when not inbthe hands of dipshits.

I think the air box design itself is less restrictive then you might assume.  There is quite a bit more space around the filter itself compared to the other brand name aluminum units that you are referring to, also the inside of the air tract is very smooth with very few to no dead air space pockets in it.  Also the tubes are 2 1/2" OD versus 2 1/4", with the intent of allowing more air flow.  I am fairly certain the issue is with the length of the air tract itself causing flow issues.

Again, I was following my builders instructions.  After sitting on the sidelines reading and sifting through all of the info on here, both good and bad over the years, I finally decided to venture out and try things that my builder didn't endorse, but seemed to be consistent with quality results.

My understanding from the Duncan boys is that most pod failures that they were seeing that weren't directly related to neglectful installations were/are the result of torn intake boots from the weight of the pods and carbs with no support like what the stock air box provides when it is secured properly.

My visit to Cam's was the first time that I have had my bike on a dyno and the first time I have made big changes to my setup.

I will agree Duncan has a lot of records. But how many are they still setting with banshees?

Like you are pointing out, currently none.  Keep in mind that I built my bike in 2008, only a couple of years after the last PDV race that Duncan raced a Banshee on, a race, specifically a pretty torturous endurance race, which they dominated for many years.

I wanted to mimic what they were building and accomplishing.

• 3 weeks later...

Redline just finished my 421 race gas Serval with Shearer SBIF's and 28mm PWK's. Made 52tq with a great curve and pulled hard through the top with 97hp.  I don't think anyone would be too upset with those results.

I already had the carbs and pipes from the stock cylinder motor he built me.  Got ridiculously sick the day after I picked it up so all I got was some neighborhood rides on it so far.  Even with dirt tires on sand gearing it's a beast.  Hoping to get it out in the sand this Friday.

did you make that yourself

Yes and no.

I did all of the mock up, cutting, fitting, ect with the intake tracts / pipes.

Then I made a card board mockup of the air box and took it all, plus the bike, to a fab shop where the aluminum welder guy and I, broke and bent the box then welded it all up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes and no.

Then I made a card board mockup of the air box and took it all, plus the bike, to a fab shop where the aluminum welder guy and I, broke and bent the box then welded it all up.

i like effort put into that, well thought out and executed

i like effort put into that, well thought out and executed

Thank you.

That is the results after trying two previous ideas.

The first used an OEM box with pro design flange and a stainless intake tract. The box cracked and failed.

What you see here was built once then modified and improved to come up with the current results.

• Like 1

Yes and no.

There's pride in ownership when you're rockin shit that's homemade!

• Like 1