Anyone running a steel clutch basket?

Then maybe you should just buy a YFZ450R.  I'm looking but will never sell my Shee.  Seems they are always popping up for sale in southern Ohio and WV.  I'm talking with $10,000 in aftermarket parts for $3500-$5000 asking. Just something about showing up with a Banshee.. I get more thumbs up when I go by than all the pro riders put together.  I have a lot of pride racing a banshee and people respect seeing a quad that was never intended to be raced have a decent finish running with all 4 strokes and the occasional 250R  I'm 50 and on a good day I'll finish in the top 50% overall. and in the past 2 seasons have not had a DNF.  

It even comes with a slipper clutch so you won't ruin it with engine braking.  I do go threw a set of rear pads every other race and the fronts last half a season.

I'll give props for finishing like you do.

At 50 that's impressive. I'm 44 and I can run hard enough to wear out a 23 year old in our group. (Just don't ask me to do that 2 days in a row.) LOL

Getting Banshee set up perfect makes a world of difference. A +2+1 stem make a big improvement for me......and a STEERING STABILIZER is a MUST.

Wanna see people go ape shit? Run your next race on a Tri-Z.

I been waiting for someone to bring up the shitty machine work.

This so called great basket is nothing special. There is zero design work done to it. Someone just measured a stock basket and made it out of steel.

Couldn't even radius the cut outs. Talk about a great place for stress.

The steel basket Tim got was a mistake. It was the first basket Withrow machined and the bit was jumping. That basket was setting in his old display case. I guess it got put on the box with the others when he moved his shop to the new location. He told me he would send Tim another basket that was free of flaws at no cost.

My steel basket is a little different than the ones Withrow machined. Mine was machined from a block of 41/40 Tool Steel which is harder than the Chromoly. Both Steel Baskets were based off the Mattoon Heavy Duty 8-Plate Billet Aluminum Clutch Basket that I had. I also sent the Barnet Dirt Digger Hard Anodized Basket with it and had the guys at Qualex machine windows into the fingers of the new 41/40 Steel Basket, the windows in my basket are not as big as the windows in the Hinson but it does have them.

I ran the cushions that came with the Barnet Basket and the Barnet Clutch I bought it as a kit all at one time. It think it lasted about 15 months before the motor started creeping on me with the clutch pulled in. So I ordered a Mattoon Basket and it came with new Hinson Cushions, and a Mattoon backing plate. I installed it, a Driveline HD Clutch, and a Stealth Lock-Up about 6 months after I build the 392cc Serval. In 20hrs or less I broke a plate because it was notched so bad. That's when I had my buddy's at Qualex machine me the 41/40 Basket (free).

My Banshee has the following Clutch/Shift Upgrades:

- New 41/40 8-Plate Steel Clutch Basket

- Driveline Stealth Lock-Up (2-Ball-OEM Spring/1-Ball-15% HD Spring Alternating Lock-Up Tune)

- Streamline Hydraulic Clutch Lever (self adjusting)

- Tusk Break-Away Aluminum Toe Shifter

- Clutch Basket Bearing Upgrade w/ Forged Kicker Gear.

- Straight Cut Primary Drive Gears

- UPP Polyurethane Clutch Cushions

- Hinson Hard Anodized Backing Plate w/ Grade-8 Hardware

- Hinson 8-Plate Hard Anodized Billet Inner Hub

- Mull Shift Star & Roller Detent

- Cascade Pancake Bearing (Short Stud)

- (2) 6.35mm Ceramic Friction Balls

- New Driveline 8-Plate Trail/Track Clutch Kit

- (3) New OEM Springs and (3) New Driveline 15% Stiffer Springs

- FAST Modded Shift Shaft w/ "Easy" Spring

- Trinity Stage-IV DD Lock-Up Clutch Cover w/ Metal Clutch Cover Gasket (+ .5qt Oil Capacity w/ Stealth Lock-Up)

I'm also having the shop that's building the new motor install and do the following additional upgrades while its apart:

- Shift Drum Bearing Mod

- Billet 2nd Gear and Bearing

- Cut 3-6 Gears

- Install New Upgraded Heavy Duty Complete Bottom End Bearing/Bushing Kit (from The 2-Stroke Shop)

I'm also using a TZ Bearing on the PTO side of the crank, a Max-Load on the Stator side of the crank, and the Full Bearing C-Clips on the crank and transmission for added strength. I've gotten the best results running Full Synthetic TWO2COOL RTL-2 Transmission Oil with 4oz of ZMAX Synthetic Mico Lubricant Additive, so that's what I'm going to continue to run in the new motor. I haven't had any bearing or bushing failure with the Steel Basket and as far as I know all the transmission bearings and bushing were the stock bearings from 2004. The clutch basket bushing did fail when I was running the Barnet Basket and I bought a OE replacement and ran it until I bought the Bearing Upgrade.

I didn't have one single clutch or shifting issue in the years worth of riding and racing I did after adding the Steel Basket and all the Clutch/Shift Upgrades. It might have been over kill for my 392cc Trail Ported Serval but it gave me a big head start with this bigger motor.

Wow.  Good review of the Hinson STEEL clutch baskets.  This one is full of... "I said that"  and " Yea, that's what I said".  It's also has a few "That's what it did for me"  in there as well.  Before you all fire back a response  remember physics is physics.  Count to 3 and don't say something stupid about something  you have not tested because now there are 3 opinions (that I know of) on the subject. Me, Jim and oh yea, the product review department at Dirt Rider magazine.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/gear/141_0905_dr_tested_hinson_steel_clutch_basket/

That's a really unimpressive hot saw.  I've seen some that run in the stock appearing class that are faster than that.  It also has to be a backup/failed test saw because he's running it for so many cuts.  I've never seen a hot saw race that went for more than 3 cuts because most of the guys run billet heads that have no cooling capability and will absolutely fry an engine after 15 seconds of use. 

I get your point though.  Those saws are incredibly powerful when built properly.  I've witnessed a few of the 3ci (50cc) saws pick grown men's rear foot up off the ground when they cut top-down.  Imagine the 120cc limited hot saw class.