Anyone running a steel clutch basket?

I've got a picture of my Banshee setting beside a 2010 YFZ450X that I ride with. Send me your email Dave and I'll send you that one too Dave so you can post it up.

Tyler I'm not saying my suspension is the best by any means, but it does good in the woods.

I've got a picture of my Banshee setting beside a 2010 YFZ450X that I ride with. Send me your email Dave and I'll send you that one too Dave so you can post it up.

Tyler I'm not saying my suspension is the best by any means, but it does good in the woods.

Looks clean for a woods bike.

Are you building something for the sand? Or just running this setup?

Sent from a van down by the river

I'm building a play bike for recreational trail riding and to race in the KOI 200-300ft Dirt Drags. The motor in the pictures is the Trail Ported 392cc Serval I had. I sold it, now I'm building a big dual purpose motor. I trail ride the shit out of this bike, I just take really good care of it. I have a electric power washer that's hooked to a hot water heater in my shop that I clean it up with when I'm done riding and I wipe the motor off with eagle one aluminum wheel cleaner. I'm a little OCD about my banshee.

if you spent 1000 dollars for a arms and only 400 something for the shocks....you might be a dumbass.

$1,000 was total cost shipped on the a-arm kit and the +3 XC swingarm and twin row bearing carrier. $425 was the total for all three shocks tuned and set up for me and the bike.

425 for all 3????   so you didnt re spring the shocks? just a re valve... shocks would need to be built around the frame geo and a arm style and thats with the original shock valving....

highly doubt 425 bucks got you a full set of shocks set up for your weight and bike.....   springs alone are 30-80 each!

ontop of the cost you paid for the shocks alone.... really makes no sense.

only exception I see at best is the rear shock with the LT linkage.

I'm good friends with Kevin Groff and he buys, rebuilds, modifies, and sells ATV Shocks. He specializes in Hybrid ATV Suspensions and he helped Tyler at MTF with the a-arms and Swingarm. He's the one that told me about Metal Tech and he sold me my shock setup for the amount he had in them and didn't charge me any labor. As you can see in the pictures I posted the shocks were originally silver before he started on them.

Got any pictures? Who was the professional? Who made the springs? What are the rates on them? If you look at my avatar that was the front end I ran. I still have the rolling chassis in my garage. 21.5" elka quads built for a banshee & my weight.

If that was possible, you could charge admission.  :rotflmao:

And I'm not really keeping track of who's who in this back and forth very well.…..and I'm not sure how we got from Steel clutch baskets to YFZ based front ends…..But I'll say this - The NEW YFZ450R (09 and newer) has a wicked sweet front suspension.

My buddy did the YFZ450R conversion on his 07 Raptor.

He used JD Performance Long Travel aftermarket A-arms MADE to use the long 450R shocks while widening his Raptor to 49.5 inches and now that bike feels 90% as good as an actual YFZ450R.

(He and I both also own 09 YFZ450's, so I'm speaking from experience)

YFZ450 shocks = Junk  :sick:

YFZ450R shocks = Sweetness  :wub:  :clap:  :notworthy:

Steel Clutch baskets = I don't really care. I have full Hinson units in both my Banshees for years and they are still fine. 

Banshee motors are like butt holes…….feel free to stick anything you want in yours  :unsure: ….just don't try talking me or anyone else into doing the same thing with theirs.  :down:

Forgive us for not feeling adventurous.  :shrugani:  :jesterlaugh:

Does it look okay to you guys? I'm happy with the MTF/YFZ-450X suspension and it does real good in the woods. Ride.race.live obviously thinks that I've got to much invested in the suspension. I remembered after he made that comment that I also traded in my old 2007 YFZ-450SE Shocks on the 2011 YFZ-450X Front Shocks, I think he gave me $225 trade in on them. When I made the "trophy truck" analogy in that old thread I was referring to the huge difference I noticed between the 07 YFZ-SE Shocks, Fullflight +3 A-Arms, and stock 04 Banshee Rear Swingarm/Shock in comparison to the 2011 YFZ-450X Shocks, Metal Tech A-Arms/+3 Swingarm, and new Rear Shock that matched the front.

The bike rode and handled so much better and I was impressed with upgrades. I didn't literally mean my Banshee rode like a trophy truck that has 50" of suspension travel. I was referring to huge difference between those two suspensions. I'm not saying that the YFZX/R Hybrid Shocks and components is the best out there or good for every Banshee, the same thing goes for the steel clutch basket but both are good upgrades for a play trail bike for the money. That being said I'm not pushing anybody to try either mod, I'm simply sharing my ideas and findings with you guys.

The idea behind the Hybrid X Suspension was I could upgrade to the Fox Float Evol-X Front Shocks for the Stock YFZ450X A-Arms and a Fox Podium Rear w/ Elka's LT Rear Link later on and have a Suspension as good as any Trail Banshee out there, but the Stock X Shocks did so good that I decided that I'd hold off on the Fox Setup until I built a strong, lightweight, long travel frame. I liked the way my buddy's YFZ-450X's and R's so well that I decided that I wanted the frame my custom frame to have the 2009+ YFZ -450R/X Frame Geometry as well as enough room between the steering stem and oversize radiator to mount a 7" 12V electric fan. I wanted to keep the Banshee style rear because Arched Latter Banshee Swingarms are a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than a YFZR/X Arched Latter Swingarms. The same amount of rear travel can be gained on the Banshee Rear with a Elka Rear Link and the right rear shock. The shorter shock setup also allows the room needed for dual pods or a air box.

I hope to have that frame built soon to house the new motor I'm building.