10mm DMX Testing

SlowerThanYou

Going to cover some problems we discovered on the 1st track outing & the changes we're making for the next track session.

I guess I should have said what we learned from or 1st track outing. The only problem we had was a broken water pump shaft.

Tires: We ran a variety of 84"-85" RO tires & one set of 80" RO. K&T's thoughts was, too much RO. We have 2 sets of 75" RO tires now, 22x11x8 14 paddle Rippers & 24x11x10 Extremes both on 10" wide rims.

Compression: We both knew we didn't have enough compression for sand. We are having new domes cut right now. I don't know where the compression is going to be set at yet.

Fuel: Going back to alky for sand, but staying on gas for asphalt. Primarily for the cooling for the hot lapping style of racing on sand. The carbs are basically set-up already, but going to add another power jet & get another set of needles for tuning. 

Clutch: This was probably the biggest learning experience, because the big change in primary ratio. We went from a 2.86 to a 2.54 ratio. According to most, this speeds up the basket speed & that affects the clutch application.  We are slowing down the clutch lock-up for the next outing. I will cover this a little more in the Lock-up/Lock-out Tuning thread.

I would stay with the 2.86 (or 2.82 or whatever Hinson is.) We ran a 3.67 @ 86 then 3.60 @ 88 outta the trailer on my 643cc. Way less tire than you've been using.

Thanks for the tips! We don't have much choice & have to run the 2.54 primaries for the 1/4 mile. I wish I would have kept the 2.86s for sand.

What tires are you referring to the 1st ones tried or the current ones not tried?

How's Gilbert going?

Hell I forgot about needing the higher ones for asphalt. We run 77 RO 14 stg extremes. Gilbert is good so far. I won't clutter your thread. I may start a new one for what's going on there. We are 0.006 or something off the record with that bike.

Hell I forgot about needing the higher ones for asphalt. We run 77 RO 14 stg extremes. Gilbert is good so far. I won't clutter your thread. I may start a new one for what's going on there. We are 0.006 or something off the record with that bike.

Thanks again for sharing the information. Clutter the thread I don't care & good luck with the bike.

Are gonna remote start or kick? That's gonna be a mfer to kick! Even though its not a huge motor we remote start. I broke the clutch cover and kicker gear on the basket trying to start it at the shop one day. I didn't want to have to wear boots to start it, and didn't want to risk breaking stuff again. If you are gonna kick it (and most people do) you can run a dyna and retard the timing for low (e.g. <1000, or whatever) rpms. You probably know all of that, just throwing that out there. Hate to see ya break an ankle!

Are gonna remote start or kick? That's gonna be a mfer to kick! Even though its not a huge motor we remote start. I broke the clutch cover and kicker gear on the basket trying to start it at the shop one day. I didn't want to have to wear boots to start it, and didn't want to risk breaking stuff again. If you are gonna kick it (and most people do) you can run a dyna and retard the timing for low (e.g. <1000, or whatever) rpms. You probably know all of that, just throwing that out there. Hate to see ya break an ankle!

Going to kick it. We have the reinforced clutch cover & we wear boots. We also have the programmable Dyna. We will see what happens.