10mm DMX Testing

SlowerThanYou

Getting ready for our 2nd outing this coming weekend at the Kingman, AZ. Sand Drags.

Our new domes are installed. They are 33.2cc compared to the 36.2cc asphalt domes. I haven't had time to do the cranking compression check yet. The asphalt ones were 150 psi @ 2,300' ASL.

We fired the motor up on alky yesterday. Made a few adjustments & got a few things ready for tuning this weekend. I didn't realize, we haven't ran alky since 2007. Motor has a totally different sound. It's almost time to get my feet wet again.

Getting ready for our 2nd outing this coming weekend at the Kingman, AZ. Sand Drags.

Our new domes are installed. They are 33.2cc compared to the 36.2cc asphalt domes. I haven't had time to do the cranking compression check yet. The asphalt ones were 150 psi @ 2,300' ASL.

We fired the motor up on alky yesterday. Made a few adjustments & got a few things ready for tuning this weekend. I didn't realize, we haven't ran alky since 2007. Motor has a totally different sound. It's almost time to get my feet wet again.

Lectrons?

If you could get ahold of some 44mm Lectrons and set the needles so it idles high and even sounds lean when launching (without the launch limiter) I think that is key. I know You're comfortable with the pwks (and they will work good). I know you talked about possibly using Lectrons before.

If you could get ahold of some 44mm Lectrons and set the needles so it idles high and even sounds lean when launching (without the launch limiter) I think that is key. I know You're comfortable with the pwks (and they will work good). I know you talked about possibly using Lectrons before.

J-M, thanks for the help on this project. Yes we were hoping to get lectrons 44s or 46s. That's on hold for now & yes we are comfortable with the PWKs. Heck, Dan (A&S) goes fast with some pretty big motors on them.

As for the launch limiter, LOL! We have done some amazing 60's & times we shouldn't be able to do using it. With gas it's a little easier on the launch limiter. We know how to make it work with Alky also & it takes a little more effort/tuning. 

We have never been out to set records. We are after wins & we have certain numbers we are looking for. We have 3 rider's for our bike & we are all too heavy for records. While we want to do well with 300' our priority still rest with the asphalt.

In your testing and experience from going sand to asphalt have you taken note on the affects of torque on the two different surfaces?

We haven't found much difference in times between the 2 surfaces. The 60's are the same & the 300'/330' are pretty close. We chalk up part of the difference in times. Because of the 30' difference & the lack of 300' experience.

Now, the above information is from our stock frame cub. The DMX has only been to the 300' once & not to the 1/4, yet. We are planning on the asphalt, hopefully in Oct.

How did kingman go?

Funny you should ask, I was trying to avoid all the negatives of Kingman. The staff is great & trying really hard to make the deal work. They have a lot of work to do! IMO, we would have been better setting up timers on a dry river bed or tilled up dirt somewhere in a field. 

Kingman has a base elevation of 3,300' factor in the heat & other factors. The Density Altitude was 6,000' - 7,000'. The track was really dry & not maintained with the right equipment. That's just a few of the problems.

To give you an idea how it affected our set-up. Our best 60' at Bakersfield was 1.40. Kingman we started at 1.80 something & worked our butts off to get 1.55 60's. Did we improve ET wise from BAKO; no, we stayed the same as our best at BAKO.

Given the conditions at Kingman our changes helped the set-up. I'm sure they would have netted us a .10 - .15 reduction of ET at a proper track