4mil Build Pricing

So I'm getting parts ready to build a 4mil motor. I've dealt with Jeff at FAST a little bit so far and liked the service so I'll be sending it there. The reason I'm trying to get as much info on here first is because I know he's busy as hell and I don't want to bother him until I'm ready to send him my motor.

I will be doing mostly trail riding but maybe play on the ice some in the winter. Since I'm doing my first build, I want to do it right so I'm not wanting more in the future. I bought a used case and jugs so I can still have a motor while my work is being done (and my motor had some ugly chain whack). I'm more concerned about doing this the right way than I am about how much I spend. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have:

-VF2 Reeds

-Stock case and jugs.

-Stock Trans

So I know I'm going to need alot of parts. I also want all bearings and seals replaced so I essentially have a completely new motor. I just need a rough idea of the budget so I know how much $ I need to save before calling Jeff.

- 4mil Crank ($435)

-Pistons ($175)

-Gaskets($35)

-Seals($45)

-Timing Plate ($45)

-Head ($235)

-Trail Porting ($250)

-Case Porting ($100)

-Build($250)

Total ($1570)

So what all did I miss? I'll be watching the for sale thread on here for carbs and pipe. I currently have a 2-1 w/ PWK 38 and FMF Fatties (neither of which will be used on the new build)

id say you pretty much have everything.. just figure another 2-3 hundred to be safe.. a complete new build really never goes as planned..at least not for me haha! i just got my 4mil back from Jeff as well.. they do amazing work! your best bet imo is to call jeff up and spend some time with him.. tell him exectly want your after and he'll hook you up for sure! good luck with the build..your gonna love it when its done!

id say you pretty much have everything.. just figure another 2-3 hundred to be safe.. a complete new build really never goes as planned..at least not for me haha! i just got my 4mil back from Jeff as well.. they do amazing work! your best bet imo is to call jeff up and spend some time with him.. tell him exectly want your after and he'll hook you up for sure! good luck with the build..your gonna love it when its done!

I called and talked to him once a few weeks ago when I was trying to decide between serval or stock cyls. I jsut dont want to waste his time until I'm rdy to send it out to him because I know he's swamped right now.

Just a couple of suggestions I would have that would be nice and shouldn't hurt your budget much

- Heavier Clutch springs (to hold all that extra power)

- Shift star mod (Helps with shifting)

- Shift pro or the equivelent from Mull engineering (helps with shifting)

You may want see if there is an added cost for 4mil cut domes for your new cool head.

Should be a rippin machine when your done!! Good luck on the build

So I'm getting parts ready to build a 4mil motor. I've dealt with Jeff at FAST a little bit so far and liked the service so I'll be sending it there. The reason I'm trying to get as much info on here first is because I know he's busy as hell and I don't want to bother him until I'm ready to send him my motor.

I will be doing mostly trail riding but maybe play on the ice some in the winter. Since I'm doing my first build, I want to do it right so I'm not wanting more in the future. I bought a used case and jugs so I can still have a motor while my work is being done (and my motor had some ugly chain whack). I'm more concerned about doing this the right way than I am about how much I spend. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have:

-VF2 Reeds

-Stock case and jugs.

-Stock Trans

So I know I'm going to need alot of parts. I also want all bearings and seals replaced so I essentially have a completely new motor. I just need a rough idea of the budget so I know how much $ I need to save before calling Jeff.

- 4mil Crank ($435)

-Pistons ($175)

-Gaskets($35)

-Seals($45)

-Timing Plate ($45)

-Head ($235)

-Trail Porting ($250)

-Case Porting ($100)

-Build($250)

Total ($1570)

So what all did I miss? I'll be watching the for sale thread on here for carbs and pipe. I currently have a 2-1 w/ PWK 38 and FMF Fatties (neither of which will be used on the new build)

Two things I've learned with Banshee's:

1) Always expect shit to go wrong

2) Always expect to pay more than your planned budget

That being said, add another 500-600 to your build, and that will be the true cost lol.

I called and talked to him once a few weeks ago when I was trying to decide between serval or stock cyls. I jsut dont want to waste his time until I'm rdy to send it out to him because I know he's swamped right now.

i call him all the time.. im a pain in the ass!lol.. if your serious about this built call him up and he'll set you staight! he is a super dude.. just remember, figuring out exectly what you want is part of the "build" and there is no one better to ask questions then the builder!! i have a 4 mil dune/play port with boost ports..and all the other little goodies.. i dont have the pwk35s tuned perfect yet but over all its a super fun/fast bike..power across the whole curve! serval cylinders are also nice though.. call him up and he'll tell you exectly everything you want to know!

You should look into getting a pancake bearing as well. I had Jeff port my cylinders last year, basically the exact same setup. Currently I have 34 PJs and just got my R2's in yesterday! But it's a sweet setup and makes real good power, you won't be disappointed!

Does a 4mil set up require a different piston from stock? Taller? Shorter? Reason I ask is I'm also considering this but also have a fresh Weisco piston stock stroke motor and would hate to spend money again on pistons. Thanks

Yes and no. You can get the 110 rod, normal pistons that you have now or the 115 rod. You need the blaster pistons. I think 795. They say the short rods have a lot more side load and wear faster. I got it anyway, I'll let people know how it ends up. If I do see a major wear pattern I'm gonna get the 115.

I am also pondering doing the 4 mil to my motor also. All i have on it now is FMF fatties with turbinecore 2's and K&N filter. The compression is kinda low (115 on both) so i have to do a top end anyway. I just bought my banshee 2 weeks ago, and i am still learning this machine (mostly by reading all the articles on this site, but i am confused as to what is the best setup for me). I mostly ride trails and don't want to have issues with overheating or ridablility in the woods. I would like to have as much power as possible without worry about stringing the motor out to the point where it could blow up. Do you think the motor work shown in the first post is the route i should go?

I am also pondering doing the 4 mil to my motor also. All i have on it now is FMF fatties with turbinecore 2's and K&N filter. The compression is kinda low (115 on both) so i have to do a top end anyway. I just bought my banshee 2 weeks ago, and i am still learning this machine (mostly by reading all the articles on this site, but i am confused as to what is the best setup for me). I mostly ride trails and don't want to have issues with overheating or ridablility in the woods. I would like to have as much power as possible without worry about stringing the motor out to the point where it could blow up. Do you think the motor work shown in the first post is the route i should go?

You should build a 421 serval. That's what I did and love it... Makes great power in the trails and it's not much more expensive than building a good stock 4mil

Ponder no more. You should leave it stock stroke/port. If you don't wanna over heat.. My stock cyl 4mil overheats in the dead of winter when it's 10segrees out, and that just off idle... Goin to a 4 mill ruined my bike and took the joy out of life. I'm now a miserable person who lives in my moms basement and has no contact with the outside world, other then the Internet... And girls. Well let's say palma-la and her 5 friends are all I had in years

You should build a 421 serval. That's what I did and love it... Makes great power in the trails and it's not much more expensive than building a good stock 4mil

I am just looking to add some more power to the bike. I already need to rebuild the top end so i was checking around to see what i could upgrade to get some more power. $1500 is already a little more than i was planning on spending on the motor. any ideas?