need a better cooling system

lms1977

I want to do a fan system to help cool it I found one for sale has anyone used it? I will be getting a new radiator and a better impeller but that is not enough for these bikes once you make a good amount of power. we will climb 1-2 hills and it is hot!!! 3rd hill it will boil over we are screaming the things up hills but not flowing enough air for the rpm and load were putting on the engines.

I was riding with a few cheetha motors and they all were having the same problem has anyone found a fix?

I've never had a motor overheat. Every time I go to the sand there are guys hot lapping bikes for two hours. If that's not enough to overheat a motor I don't see why you should be. Generally overheating is caused by something else not being right. Are you sure your jetting is good? Being too rich can cause overheating issues as well as being lean.

It's not just me everyone there is overheating.

You haul ass up the hill beating the hell out of it then idle going back down and get turned around then back up there is no cool down time where the radiator gets airflow.

I would say on average you idle or almost idle for 1-3 minutes going down hill and turning around then shoot up the hill turn around and do it again. If we go driving around they do cool down but I don't want to have to leave the hill every time. If there were a fan or something they would cool idling down the hill and when were turning around.

When we trail rode for a while I was always around 180 deg. But were always moving.

If we were at the dunes we would not be going so slow down or up the hill for that matter.

a bigger radiator and billet impeller should help out a lot

i dont see how people have overheating issues.

my exhaust pipe was touching my coolant line and i never over heated my quad.

i even rode in muddy tight trails where it doesn't get good air flow.

Photo1692.jpg

here is what it looks like after most rides, this picture was taken after it sat in the rain for a few hours

Photo1519.jpg

I also never had overheating with the smaller motor we are 115 to 150cc bigger than the stock motor. dont you run plastics?

Frankie so have I and all the others up where I ride when the bikes made 50-60 hp they don't over heat we also did different hills then now we do hills that there is no runway no fast way down the hill to get air to the radiator.

Take a 10mill cub on the sand do some 300-700 ft drag up the steepest hill you can find stop the second your done and dont slow down, lock the brakes up so you dont get air flow idle for a minute do it again see how many times you do this before it gets hot. It also has to be over 85deg and humid as hell. This is how we ride. This is why I ask has anyone done a fan and if they worked? If we go ride when were done the hill they don't get hot. I would rather let it idle a minute that go ride around on the rocks with my paddles every hill.

Frankie so have I and all the others up where I ride when the bikes made 50-60 hp they don't over heat we also did different hills then now we do hills that there is no runway no fast way down the hill to get air to the radiator.

Take a 10mill cub on the sand do some 300-700 ft drag up the steepest hill you can find stop the second your done and dont slow down, lock the brakes up so you dont get air flow idle for a minute do it again see how many times you do this before it gets hot. It also has to be over 85deg and humid as hell. This is how we ride. This is why I ask has anyone done a fan and if they worked? If we go ride when were done the hill they don't get hot. I would rather let it idle a minute that go ride around on the rocks with my paddles every hill.

Are you running a stock radiator?

At first I was thinking it was a coolant flow or jetting issue also. But I can see how limited are flow could cause it to eventually get hot. Even quicker when being subjected to extreme loads. I would try a larger radiator, Make sure the front grill is as open as possible, billet impeller, and run engine ice or water wetter. I don't think it would be that difficult to run a fan. You could use the lighting circuit ut ir would have to be sized appropriately. You might need to go with a high output stator to generate the needed current depending on the fan. Oh, and you would lose your lights unless you put a 3 way switch in so that you could run the lights instead of the fan.

SP

spurdy I will be getting a rad and impeller the other guys that have them say they really did not do all that much. But every little bit helps right. Is there a stator other than the ricky stator alot of people have problems with them. I might just but a battery in it to just prove the Idea out. Thanks Mike

spurdy I will be getting a rad and impeller the other guys that have them say they really did not do all that much. But every little bit helps right. Is there a stator other than the ricky stator alot of people have problems with them. I might just but a battery in it to just prove the Idea out. Thanks Mike

I had a high output Moose stator for several years and had no issues. I never ran big lights and during a rebuild I put a stock stator back on and sold the Moose. I have heard others that have had good luck with Moose stators also.

I am still runing a stock impeller with a big radiator and engine ice. I ride/race in the sand and have never had a problem with overheating and I ride in some pretty warm temperatures. But I do get quite a bit of air flow also. Maybe think about switching to methanol, it runs a lot cooler than gas. Water temps will drop quite a bit.

SP

Not to jump in and hijack this thread, but I've battled high temp issues as well. Not to the point of boiling over, but checking with an IR temp gun, the head reads 220-235 and I shut it down. I've had the cover off and checked the impeller as well as the nylon drive gear. I'd like to take it a step further and SEE the flow for myself. If I remove the large hose from the radiator and cap off the radiator, would I be able to see the flow that way? The large hose to the head is very hot, and the lower hose from radiator to water pump is quite cool. I mean c'mon, the radiator can not be that efficient.