My $2 Mod!

SAVAGE420

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as we all know any vibrations to the hands sucks big time when riding a long time.

So i was out in the shop thinking about ideas to do the other day. Decided to try some silicone in my bars. WAY less vibes to your hand, No joke ether. 100% silicone with a caulking gun. Stand the bars up straight and fill em up. You have to go slow and do some from each side to ensure that you get it as evenly dispersed as possible.

I use the Pro Taper Contours (1-1/8) bars. Think about this for a second, take your bars off and hit them on the ground holding the end and see how it feels. Now fill them up with 100% silicone and let set for the day, now bang them on the ground the same way, you will say wow and scratch your head with a lil grin.

Im always thinking of cheap ways to make things better or smoother. With that being said, having an Anti Vibe Stem, Precision's Shock & Vibe Handlebar Clamp, the new ATV Four Play’s Soft Bars or Fasst Flexx Bars will be alot better BUT, how can you go wrong for 2 bux and a few minutes of time right? Even better if you have them all installed also.

Ive only tried aluminum bars, so don't know if it would make as big of difference using steel bars. Maybe someone can try them as ive never had steel bars.

This is a very simple and affordable mod to make to your bars. If you use 100% silicone, it is Much lighter than siding door caulk etc. Just grab a seat and go slow. It should take you 5-10 minutes. Put it in each side and then let your bars set for a day and mount them up.

I've ridden twice since and I swear to you guys/gals, I feel a very noticable difference in fatigue. Best $2 I've spent on the banshee yet. Im going to do My RM later also.

From track, trail, drag and play bikes, i think everyone can benefit from less vibrations being transfered to the body.

Less vibes to the hands on long rides is a MAJOR + in my book.

To anyone that try's it let me know what you think.

All i gotta say is don't knock it before you try it.

are stock bars aluminum or are they steel

How bout this....

Instead of trying to fill the bars up like a bucket, try filling the bucket up from the bottom. That way you wont have to wait (or hope) for the silicone to settle down into the bars.

Stand the bars up on end, stick the end of the caulking gun in the bottom, and slowly pump it into the bars until it comes out the top. That way it will push the air up and out as you fill them.

If you wanted to get real fancy you could make some kind of nipple to seal the end(tip) of the caulking gun to the bar.

so what if you stand the bars on end, fill it up an inch or so at a time and let it dry (each inch+) and repeat untill you have completely filled the bars?

thats kinda what i intended to do, but i cant stand my shee sitting there ripped apart, so i hurried the process a bit, I also thought maybe if i let it dry, they might not fill in all the way if any was stuck in the tube so thats why i just sad screw it and let them settle, shook and tapped them to ty and get them as solid as possible and just let it be, dry in the middle or not... i dont think you need it dry really, jelly absorbs vibes too :headbang:

and thats a good idea vintage !!!, its really not that hard to fill them up though, im confident mine ar like 95% full and silicone doesnt shrink, so it will be fine until i break my bars and it oozes theough and clogs my radiator, lol...i think fat renthalls are kinda hard to break with a stock stem though, so i'll prob be alright..

thats kinda what i intended to do, but i cant stand my shee sitting there ripped apart, so i hurried the process a bit, I also thought maybe if i let it dry, they might not fill in all the way if any was stuck in the tube so thats why i just sad screw it and let them settle, shook and tapped them to ty and get them as solid as possible and just let it be, dry in the middle or not... i dont think you need it dry really, jelly absorbs vibes too :headbang:

and thats a good idea vintage !!!, its really not that hard to fill them up though, im confident mine ar like 95% full and silicone doesnt shrink, so it will be fine until i break my bars and it oozes theough and clogs my radiator, lol...i think fat renthalls are kinda hard to break with a stock stem though, so i'll prob be alright..

Don't forget while your at it, to stick a nickle over each end of your bars and let it stick to your silicone. That little old school BMX trick will only add 10 cents to the $2 mod and then you won't tear up the end of your grips from ride abuse.

• 7 months later...

So did anyone else try it and ride like that for a while or what?

Post up.

I still like it. cheeky4.gif

So did anyone else try it and ride like that for a while or what?

Post up.

I still like it. cheeky4.gif

This will be the next thing I do. Great idea!

i did it on my 250r when you posted it. my experience was that silicone is NOT $2 more like $3.50. and I found the best way to do it after screwing up several times was to stick the gun in one end as hard as you can and then pump until the other end shows silicone hold it shut and keep pumping until its full to the max.

I found that it made a big difference with vibration and the bike felt smoother because of it.

my wifes raptor vibrates like crazy,im doing it to hers tonight.

Sorry, missed the RAPTOR in there.

Sounds like a great mod for under $5, I'm gonna check my bars and fill em if they are aluminum.

this is a popular mod,they used to sell a "bar snake" in ther early 80s which was basically weighted rubber to hep dampen vibration.unless one is nit pickin bout ounces its really a win win situation