yfz 450 conversion

burhead

I am looking for info on upgrading my banshee's suspension. I have a 96 that I bought as a basket case and the a arms and shocks are toast. I was going to replace the a arms with some after market and then replace the shocks later. I started seeing that some have put a arms and shocks from a yfz 450 on their bikes. I tried doing a search but my searches returned nothing. Is this a pretty straightforward swap? I do mostly trail riding and my bike has very minor motor mods done to it. This bike tends to be a handful in its current state and a suspension/brake upgrade is definitely in order. Thanks for any info.

link 1

link 2

link 3

I am always changing crap around and trying new things. I am currently running this conversion. I have the yfz arms, spindles, hubs, banshee +2 tie-rods, and ltr 450 shocks to bring it back up to stock height. It works pretty good, a lot better than stock, and I haven't had any of the issues others have stated in other threads.

I would suggest keeping the yfz parts on yfz's and saving up a little more money to buy banshee specific parts. You will be better off in the long run. I have no regrets by any means, but when I go to give the banshee a new face lift this winter we will be swapping her back over.

If you do decide to move forward with this conversion make sure you have a great set of spindles. Any excessive play will be mutiplied 10x when installed on a banshee.

The 450 set up works fine if you use the entire 450 front end. Arms, shocks, spindles, and all. Probably not as good as a high end aftermarket set up but tons better than stock. I did the deed a couple years ago. My only complaint is that it is

W I D E.

LOOK HERE

I have all these parts in a box....

i have the same setup but i got all my stuff off of a raptor 700 including calipers and everything. with the raptor shocks it sits higher and the camber is alot better than yfz shocks. the brakes are a huge improvement over stock and i havent noticed any turning issues or anything, it rides smooth and handles the woops and tight trails great.

I did it with my latest build. Used the complete YFZ frontend. I like it and dont like it. Great for regular riding and duneing and performs great in rough and whooped up dunes, but i didnt like it in soft steep sand and treeshots. Seemed to push and was hard to turn. Also you lose even more turn radius. Looks badass though.

buildpics022.jpg

thanks for all the replies. I am currently in afghanistan so I won't get at this for a few months yet. I am trying to gather info and parts for now. So for the raptor guys, will any year raptor parts fit? What would be the best year for the yfz to get the parts from? I also found the thread below and it was very helpful but it is long and kind of bounces all over the place. Most of my riding with this bike is done in tight sandy wooded trails.

Also one other thing. I have been reading that the upper ball joints aren't serviceable. Does this mean they aren't replaceable without buy a new upper. Sorry but I come from a history of polaris 2 strokes and dual a arm setups are new to me. Part of my reason for looking at this mod in the first place is to get a arms that have removable ball joints. As I stated earlier mine are toast and while I didn't tear it down to look, I was told that stock banshee arms have non replaceable ball joints. Are the YFZ's the same way?

Yes, Steller can make you some arms to fit YFZ shocks. Another site sponser, Fireball Racing, has offered them for a few years now. It would be alot better to get banshee geometry arms made for YFZ shocks. YFZ shocks are pretty good shocks and they are cheap. As far as YFZ arms,,, they belong on a YFZ!