yfz 450 conversion

burhead

thanks for all the replies. I am currently in afghanistan so I won't get at this for a few months yet. I am trying to gather info and parts for now. So for the raptor guys, will any year raptor parts fit? What would be the best year for the yfz to get the parts from? I also found the thread below and it was very helpful but it is long and kind of bounces all over the place. Most of my riding with this bike is done in tight sandy wooded trails.

the parts from any year raptor 700 (so 06 to current) are the same as yfz450, except for the shocks ( the raptors are taller and 06 had non reservoir shocks). i have the raptor shocks on mine and it seems to have a great turning radius and does awsome through the trees and tight stuff at the dunes (better than my raptor) so i think it might have to do with the camber from the height difference between the yfz and raptor shocks. as for the yfz and raptor shocks you can have them rebuilt to be damn near as good as aftermarket shocks, josh at wiigstyle racing is one of the best for raptor and yfz shocks, he can do everything to them, shorten/lengthen, dual rate springs, revalve and so on.

i have the parts to do this conversion at my house, im just wondering, how much do you have to cut off, where do you cut it (i think on the out side of the mounts on the lower a-arms, right) i think one of my a arms was already modded for this, but the other isnt, any info would really help, thanks.

the yfz and raptor 700 use the same exact suspension except for shocks, so you can get the a arms off either one (i also recomend getting the spindles, hubs and brakes if possible, if not try to atleast get the spindles cause it will give you a little more travel). you will need new tie rods (i bought lone star 13.5" raptor 700 tie rods) cause stocks (12 3/8" i believe) are too short. then you swap the top arms (left goes on right side and right on left side) and you cut the bottoms so they are 1 7/8" from outside of one bushing to outside of other. i will try to get some close up pictures tonight. heres the thread i used to do my conversion http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69059&hl=yfz+450

I hated this conversion and loved the day i went back to stock.

You ran the banshee spindles with it though, of course it would really suck.

Cant go wrong with arms that are made for the bike and not a take off of another. I really dont see why people are going through all this trouble for a front end. All it takes is a little bit of time to find some A arms for the bike. I got mine brand new for under $200 shipped to my house that are made for the banshee. Seems to me like a better deal then having to deal with someone else take off that might have been tweaked front end off of another quad that was made 20 years later down the road.<_< Just sayn. Two totally different bikes. You might as well just move the banshee motor into the yfz frame.

Cant go wrong with arms that are made for the bike and not a take off of another. I really dont see why people are going through all this trouble for a front end. All it takes is a little bit of time to find some A arms for the bike. I got mine brand new for under $200 shipped to my house that are made for the banshee. Seems to me like a better deal then having to deal with someone else take off that might have been tweaked front end off of another quad that was made 20 years later down the road.<_< Just sayn. Two totally different bikes. You might as well just move the banshee motor into the yfz frame.

all the parts that i used i already had, so my swap was free. i now have aluminum spindles, dual piston calipers and it rides smoother and more stable. i agree arms made for it are probably better and if i didnt have the parts already i would have looked at aftermarket arms/shocks for it, but imo this setup is better than stock shocks w/ aftermarket arms.

post-36455-12857016336588_thumb.jpg

Edited by rideSAND

• 7 months later...

i agree nothing like doing things yourself>Im sure this is fine for general play riding,most of us arent running nationals anyway.The kids on here will find out later on how tough it is to drop a grand on suspension for their "toy" when they have mouths to feed and mortage etc.. Sure we would all like the good shit designed for our bikes but it doesnt always work that way in life.You do what you can at times.

i did the conversion because the a arms and shocks were given to me for free, but i want to get yfz spindles too, do i have to run yfz hubs with the new spindles? i want to use the 450 spindles because with the stock spindles you risk blowing apart a ball joint and killing yourself. :unsure: