Don't take your 2-strokes to Yamaha.

~O)u(K~

Sorry if this wasn't the correct place to post this topic.

My old blaster finally blew up 2 weeks ago when my girlfriend was driving it. We were just playing on the trail and she was following me on my banshee.

All it needed was a new Piston, rings, seals, and a little honing. No damage was conflicted upon the crank.

I wasn't in the mood to rebuild the Blaster myself and i had some money on my hands so i just said, "Hell ill take it to Yamaha, how much could they possibly charge to rebuild a little 198cc 2-stroke" I took it in 2-weeks ago.

Just got a call today and they told me my engine was ready to be picked up. I asked what the pricing of it was and it seemed as if the guy was avoiding my question. So i asked again and i was shocked to hear 890 bucks! I was like, "No god damn way" I am actually pretty pissed off about it. That is ridiculous, so he says it is including shop time. They must of taken 5 hours to rebuild the damn thing.

I know it is a professional rebuild and all, but 890 bucks.. that is over half the damn quad right there. I know i will never get it back. I am in Wasilla, Alaska and there are no other builders around.

Anyways, i am just letting you all know. Please.. if you have a 2-stroke, Don't be lazy and try rebuilding it yourself or try to find another builder besides Yamaha. I definitely just ruined my month.. I am going to discuss the pricing further as soon as i get there but i don't think it is even going to do much.

God damn it. banghead I should just take the engine and run lol :bolt:

Edited by ~O)u(K~

My old blaster finally blew up 2 weeks ago when my girlfriend was driving it. We were just playing on the trail and she was following me on my banshee.

All it needed was a new Piston, rings, seals, and a little honing. No damage was conflicted upon the crank.

I wasn't in the mood to rebuild the Blaster myself and i had some money on my hands so i just said, "Hell ill take it to Yamaha, how much could they possibly charge to rebuild a little 198cc 2-stroke" I took it in 2-weeks ago.

Just got a call today and they told me my engine was ready to be picked up. I asked what the pricing of it was and it seemed as if the guy was avoiding my question. So i asked again and i was shocked to hear 890 bucks! I was like, "No god damn way" I am actually pretty pissed off about it. That is ridiculous, so he says it is including shop time. They must of taken 5 hours to rebuild the damn thing.

I know it is a professional rebuild and all, but 890 bucks.. that is over half the damn quad right there. I know i will never get it back. I am in Wasilla, Alaska and there are no other builders around.

Anyways, i am just letting you all know. Please.. if you have a 2-stroke, Don't be lazy and try rebuilding it yourself or try to find another builder besides Yamaha. I definitely just ruined my month.. I am going to discuss the pricing further as soon as i get there but i don't think it is even going to do much.

they go off of what the "book" says.they whill charge you 2 hours of labor to take out the motor when it really takes 20 minutes

tell them to keep the motor, im sure you can find a used one for less then that

x2 in CT you can get a blaster with a rebuilt top end ready to ride for that. Imagine if it was a yfz350 motor, he would charge the price of a cheetah cub! Haha

ya i think i could rebuild a banshee top end for like $400 in parts and bore job.

youre kidding right? I spent 200 on the pistons and gasket kit, then 150 for bore and hone(350). I meant the price the shop would charge for the banshee top end you can just get a cheetah cub top end for it. a joke implying its a rediculous fee, maybe I didnt convey my joke properly :confused:

• 3 months later...

The tri z motor has to be taller from my memory plus its liquid cooled and not everyone can make radiator brackets etc. Cool idea though.

i thought it was funny, but yeah i would tell them to keep it and find a triZ 250 motor to drop in it, the triZ motor should bolt right in plus then it a 250.

Did you think they were gonna do it for free?? haha...Just like takin your car or truck to the dealership to get it worked on..Shop rate is through the roof. That's how they make their money. Shoulda know that before you dropped it off or atleast got a estimate or asked what there hourly rate was. I know around me it's like 80 bucks an hr at a Yamaha dealership.. lol...You got royally fucked man!yelrotflmao.gif

Didn't realized BEN Dover worked in AK. :rotflmao::jesterlaugh: Maybe shoulda gotten writen estimate to start. I'd want complete breakdown on parts and labor including looking in flat rate book. Plus they might be double dipping, just for numbers , let's say it pays two hrs. to tear engine down, including everything. But the book also says 1/2 hr to remove carb, so they really charge twice for same job. Here in Detroit area I've seen nice Blasers for like 1200 w/fresh top end. Might try striking deal with them, offer like 600. Cause no complete engine even with rebuild is worth 800+ , so it's not like they could sell it for that

so i just said, "Hell ill take it to Yamaha,

I had DS650 I took to the dealership once, never again. $450.00 to replace a cooling fan banghead

The only time my 02 Banshee saw a dealership was the day I bought it.

Edited by brugal

• 2 months later...

My friend blew his banshee when he hit the nos for the first time, brought it to Roger the ripoff's yamaha dealership, charged him $2400 for rebuild. My friend didn't pay a cent he just let him keep the 4-wheeler. Buddy bought a 440ex from the same place last year, and blew it within a month, cost him $1300 for motor job and a new swing arm because all the bearings were completely shot.

• 2 months later...