whats the Best deisel truck?

captainhowdie

Im looking to get into a 1 ton deisel truck, I have about 20k to spend so i wont be buying new. Just want some opinions on the Dodge w/ the cummins, the Ford with the powerstroke and chevy duramax? This is my first deisel and i want to make sure i dont buy a pile of shit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has something they like ALOT so your going to get a few diff answers. Theres no 1 truck that does it all in every department from looks, power, mileage, drive train, interior comfort and so on.

But cant go wrong with a 5.9 common rail with a NV5600 trans. :cheers:

get the dodge.

while ford in my opinion has the better truck, the dodge has a far better engine. we have both at work and pull huge shit with them both all the time and the dodge really shines. we use one to pull a 50ft 26000lb camper.

i wish they would put the 8.3 in a pickup. i would be in heaven.

For a work truck i would consider a dodge, but that would be only after i extinguished all possibilities of finding a duramax. 06 and later have the 6 speed allison, which they needed. The only thing i dont like about them is the small fuel tank size. My has a 26 compared to fords 38 and dodges 34 for the same model.

All 3 manufacturers have been close to each other for a while, one will always be better in one aspect and lack in an other. At the end of the day your the one making the payment, hopefully its to gmac :D

Good luck, be sure to update us on what ya get.

I would have to say first off dodge all the way. But to be fair, if you are looking for comfort but still want a truck for some work go with the chevy. Hands down best ride, chevys always have a good ride and nice interiors. Ford only if you want shit tons of interior space, but that's about all they have going for them. And last but certainly not least, if you want a truck to be a truck and actually handle ANYTHING you throw at it, get the dodge. You can not beat the cummins motor PERIOD. MY .02 Let us know what you end up with. :cheers:

What are your plans for the truck? Are you wanting to get single rear wheel or dually 1 tonne? Either way I would suggest looking into the Duramax or the Cummins. If you do go Ford, as stated above go with the 7.3. Sure the are dogs stock, but they will go forever compared to the 6.0 and 6.4. Another good old engine would be the 12 Valve Cummins, I know a couple in Canada that went 1.5 million trouble free km's. If you aren't too concerned with engine, Ford does have a pretty snazzy ass interior.

That not a truck though, and damn its freaking ugly.

I mean, how would i pull my 5th wheel or put a cord of firewood in the back?

cummins is the best motor but dodge chassis and interior is crappy

ford are roomy but the 6.0 are riddled with problems

chevy duramax has a good motor and interior the allison is a good tranny.

i would get a chevy oh wait i got one already.

I wanted a duramax when I bought mine, but just didn't have the coin to get one with lower miles on it, so I got a 7.3 powerstroke. The fords are so damn nice with how much room in your cab you have, and the 7.3's are very good motors. Might not have the power of a cummins, but all things considered, it's probably the best compromise between power/reliability/comfort/value.

Cummins is the best MOTOR by far, but why put a motor that will go over 300K miles in a truck that is wore out at 100K miles? Everybody I know that has a Duramax is having all kinds of injector and head gasket problems. They Ford 6.0s are not a very good engine and the 6.4s get shitty fuel mileage. The 7.3 Powerstrokes are awesome engines and I think the Fords are the best all around package, but to get a 7.3 you are going to have to buy a truck that is 7+ years old. My buddy has an 06 Dodge SLT and it feels cheap inside, it has most of the bells and whistles inside, but the look and feel is cheesy. GM does have the best interiorand ride. Figure out what is the most important thing in a truck to you and buy accordingly.

Like everyone else said the 5.9l Cummins is a great motor. Your going to have to rebuild the front end on all the top three before you would like to. I'm not a fan of the automatic Dodges and I have a couple buddies whose Chevys are falling apart and are not very old plus IFS doesn't belong on a work truck. The 7.3l is the only Ford motor worth having in a truck and it will be slow without a chip and even then it will still be slow compared to the chevy or dodge with a chip. My .2 cents