whats the Best deisel truck?

captainhowdie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel tech huh, from where? What makes ford diesels junk? Not badmouthing you just wondering what you know that makes them junk..........

I'm from new jersey and of course ford finally has a ok engine.They have had many problems, o'rings on the oil coolers leaking, hard starting because they loosei their prme with the high pressure fuel inj. system,crank seals leaking,power steering pumps burning up,just to name a few..the powerstroke has come along way also but now they have to work on their tranny.also i mostly work on heavy duty trucks big rigs.straight jobs,box trucks but usually when we get a pick-up in the shop its a ford.sorry hope i didn't offend anybody .ford does have a nice gas powered truck.

If you buy a ford make sure you get the heated tailgate option because your going to be pushing it a lot.

They are a nice feature! :evil:

i have been loking into getting a diesel.. from what i have gathered.. a 12v cummins with a straight shift tranny whould be a dam good truck.. not looking to crank it up to the high heavens.. just something thats durable and strong..

Pretty much! If you don't want to crank it up that high you can tweak them good for fuel mileage :cheers: If you can, get the 6 speed. Then you don't have to worry about any tranny problems. 5 Speeds are good too, its just sometimes they loose 5th gear. No biggy to fix, just got to pull the tranny and replace a part. :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd love to have a diesel tacoma. Obviously it would be a pretty in depth custom job so I'd imagine you'd set everything up how you wanted making any comparison to a production vehicle irrelevant, unless you compare it's production model counter part. Even still it's apples to oranges considering the size differences.

I really do not understand why they don't sell the Hilux in the states.shrug03.gif

• 5 months later...

I'll throw out my 2 cents... I've had all three trucks in the past 10 years. The Dodge is nice and the motor will go the distance. But others are right, the rest of the truck doesn't hold up at least for me it didn't. I've owned a shop for the past 22 years and we happen to be next to a shop that does lifts, wheels, tires and etc. etc. and hands down the owner and employees all have the 7.3 Ford. The motor truely is a beast, but the drive train isn't. As for me I have now the Chevy, mainly beacuse of the tranny. Most of the deisels these days will go the distance, but very few have the tranny to go with it. Besides, go test drive a Ford 7.3 and a Chevy and see which one rides better. You'll understand why the Chevy was my choice.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Wow, old thread, here's my .02.

I have a 99 F-250, 2 door, longbed with the 7.3; it was originally owned by a large construction company here in town and was then purchased at auction by my father in law. My father in law drove all over the west coast buying and selling catalytic converters. I bought it from him and use it to tow my ~5000lb carpet cleaning trailer on a daily basis.

It has over 300,000 miles on it and still pulls like a beast. My father in law put a transmission cooler on it and I think that saved the tranny. No major issues, almost no issues at all. I wish they still made the 7.3.

I'd like to get a newer truck but this one is paid for and still going strong. It's a Superduty so it rides like a tank but it has all the torque in the world and stops great too. Even on the highway with my ten foot tall enclosed trailer it has no problem with passing or steep grades.