Porting for shearers

edj3663

Ive been looking around on here and the Sheaers look like the pipes I want, I love crazy top end. I dont 100% know what porting is right now, is it with the head or the cylinders? What porting should I have done with those pipes?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheetah Cubs are an aftermarket cast monoblock cylinder that with a few supporting mods bolt right on. They are good for around 80hp right out of the box with the right pipes/carbs/tune. Add some porting and some methanol and push it over 100hp.

As for your question on cooling. Good coolant, propper jetting, propper fuel for your compression ratio and a billet impellor should cool it off just fine.

hmmmm..

to just bolt on a cub is really impossible unless you have absolutely stock EVERYTHING else you will have issue's cubs take custom domes, and if your going to hit 80 HP + you better have the following.. billet basket with hardend rear plate OR springloaded straight cut basket, fully balanced /welded crank, tz drive bearing on at least the clutch side. case matched to the cub, proper reeds, good carbs, ( stock WILL work i dont care what these guys say) transmission mods if you dont want an override. and a REALLY really good clutch. replacement of some most likely worn out parts in your motor, clutch boss, pressure plate, shift shaft, alignment pin, return spring, etc etc etc...

When I say bolt on, I mean that someone with enough tools to disassemble/re-assemble their motor and the mechanical aptitude to do so can simply bolt on a cub set up up to a 421cc without any major machine work. I aggree that the cases should definately be port matched to the cylinder to get optimum results.

By supporting mods I mean, as cam mentioned...clutch/transmission upgrades, pipes, carbs, reeds, head/domes and some chassis components. Your supporting mods will depend on what size cub, fuel and specific application of the engine. Retail on the cubs is $875 for up to 61mm stroke and $975 for 64mm stroke up. That is for a plated cylinder un-ported. PM me if you'd like to know any more.

-Brandon

I'd recommend contacting a banshee specialized builder rather than your local machine shop. Yes the cubs can be spendy by the time you get them set up right, but so will a stock cylinder drag port....It will require the same supporting equipment. What mods do you currently have?

I'm not trying to talk you out of the shearers but if you already have a set of aftermarket pipes of any kind then as far as a good next step would be porting. DEFINATELY NOT from a machine shop, or your friends uncle, a guy who used to race cars..... They need to be ported by a two stroke specific builder. Even a play port for a few hundred dollars will wake it up a HUGE amount. A play/dune port and head milling of your stock head from Brandon/Wildcard would be a good step up from what you have.

Cubs are more for drag only which requires the right set up.I would have your cylinders ported see how you like it and go from there.Honestly if you just dune port or a lil more agressive I would go with toomey t5s or cpi inframes.The shearers are a killer on a short shifter and will bog your motor.cpis are a lil less forviging.

Right now the bikes just stock, im glad you told me about the disadvantages of shearers. I was looking at shearers because ive heard good stuff about there top end on here. Now which would have more top end, cpis or t5s? I based liking top end off of my friends yfz if that helps at all.

I really like the CPI's with a dune port, they do well for drag racing or recreational dune riding and as said above are a little more forgiving than the Shearers. The T-5's don't pull out quite as far as the CPI's but have a very nice power curve to them, they would be great pipes for the recreational dune/fast trail rider. I can get either of these pipes and like them both. What type/types of riding do you use the bike for?

I really like the CPI's with a dune port, they do well for drag racing or recreational dune riding and as said above are a little more forgiving than the Shearers. The T-5's don't pull out quite as far as the CPI's but have a very nice power curve to them, they would be great pipes for the recreational dune/fast trail rider. I can get either of these pipes and like them both. What type/types of riding do you use the bike for?

i have sheares and they blow for dunning...my carbs probably arent set up right as far as the jetting but i think i got it close. i kinda wish i got t-5s. my bikes is kinda boggy then its like a switch and takes off. i beat all the 450s unless they are stroked. but im going 4mil this summer so im just going to keep them. but if you plan on any kind of dunning go t-5s. if you want all out drag sheares. just my .02 cents.