Porting for shearers

edj3663

If you got the cash then have your stock cylinders Dune Ported and get a set of CPI's. You could run the cpi's on a stock ported cylinders and be ok if you plan on porting them. If you dont port the cylinders then the T5's would be a better pipe.

Pipes and a Port job are the 2 biggest HP gains for the cheapest $$$ per hp gain.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a stock bike then definately do not get shearers. It would actually run better with some regular pipes like FMF, Pro circuits etc if its a stock motor and it will be very fast compared to what you have now. Pod filters, jetted,pipes, advanced timing plate,stock head milled and it will outrun most of the 450s except the real heavily modded ones.

It sounds like cpis and a dune port sounds like the way to go, im gonna dune with it, fast trail ride, and just playin around in mud. How much would strokin it take away on top end?

None. A 4mill stroker is a nice machine. They have more grunt in the midrange. I have a dune ported 4 mill running cpi's and keihin pwk33 carbs. It is a really fun ride.

The only other thing you have to have is a cool head with stroker domes.

You don't have to have a longer swing arm, or larger carbs. Besides once the engine is built the rest bolts on.

Once you port your cylinders for the stock stroke they cannot be reported for a 4mill.

That was a very handy tid bit of information, do you have to custom make the domes or can you buy them?

Pipes $390-490 depending on finish.

http://www.cpiracing.com/Products/Yamaha%20ATV/Default.aspx

Any builder will be able to get you the domes you need. They are already machined.

Stock stroke Build

Porting Around $400

Pistons $165

Bore and Hone If needed. $90

Stock stroke build cost. $655 or so.

4mill build.

All the above plus

Hot Rods 4mill Long Rod stroker crank. $435-450

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=78

Noss Cool head $195 (you can also get one from FAST, HJR, Wild Card or maybe others) It is the same Noss Head just engraved with their logo's.

http://www.nossmachine.com/banshee_heads.htm

Coold Head Stroker Domes $80

4mill build $710-760

So the 4 mill will cost you $710-760 dollars more if you do it right now. If you deside to buil a stock stroke now and build a 4 mill later, then you will have paid for both builds, and have to buy an extra pair of cylinders to have ported for the 4 mill. Once you port your stock cylinders for a stock crank and up grade to a 4 mill you usually cant report the cylinders.

A stock stroke dune port with cpi's will be a fun ride. I would highly recomend it over a stock port, but if your not going to be satisfied then I would do this.

Buy the pipes, and Cool head with stock stroke domes now. Run that and be happy. Then start saving $$$, and buy the parts as you can afford them. Dont buy the pistons. Then when you have the money saved up for Port work, pistons, and stroker domes, send you juggs off. Let the person you have port the cylinders measure the cylinders and determine what size pistons you need, (if you need to bore or not). Thay way you get the right ones. Be aware that the big name people are going to take a 2 months or so to get the work done because they are buisy. Brandon at wild card will probably have a quick turn around time, HJR advertises a 2 week trun around, so if he can get your jugs in.

I run a FAST Dune Ported 4 mill and am super happy with it. He ports it for rider weight. A bigger guy will like a little more grunt and give up a few horses on the top end, vs what a light weight guy will like.

If you dont see your self building a 4 mill then dont be afraid to port for the stock crank. I wouldnt hold out years saving to build a 4 mill.

Talk to the site sponcers get some priecs, see what their turn around time is. Dont turn to ebay because ebay isnt there helping you if you run in to problems. Yea we can help you but it is nice to have a PRO you can call on the phone for help if you need it.

josh

That was extremely helpful thank you, the cpis with stock porting with a cool head then strokin it when i get more power hungry sounds like the way to go. I only way 140 so I would be able to get a good of mid and top with a dune port right?

That was extremely helpful thank you, the cpis with stock porting with a cool head then strokin it when i get more power hungry sounds like the way to go. I only way 140 so I would be able to get a good of mid and top with a dune port right?

Yea you will be able to get a good mid to top end. That is what a dune port is. CPI's work really well with a dune port. They should work good (much better than stock pipes) on a stock port. I wouldnt suggest running cpi's with a stock port IF you PLAN on NOT PORTING. If your dead set on at least a dune port down the road then I would get the cpi's now instead of get an all around pipe (toomey, fmf, pro circuit, paul turner) then later trying to sell that and buying cpi's.

cool heads are nice, but i can tell you right now that the shee your uncle rode did not overheat because it didnt have a cool head, as far as i heard cool heads hardly aid in the cooling of a banshee, the main reason people get them is for the removable domes!

Cody

I hate to go back over this and confuse you but in my opinion for trails and play riding with an occasional dune trip my choice would not be CPI pipes either. Many other pipes make quite a bit more power in the midrange and a good increase up top and they will like porting too. You said mud riding etc so I rpobably wouldn't run CPIs. Something like FMFs or Toomey T5s are killer all around pipes and even run a bit better everywhere over the CPIs except maybe right at 9000- 10,000rpms on a ported motor. Just trying to help make your bike more fun to ride and fast too.

I hate to go back over this and confuse you but in my opinion for trails and play riding with an occasional dune trip my choice would not be CPI pipes either. Many other pipes make quite a bit more power in the midrange and a good increase up top and they will like porting too. You said mud riding etc so I rpobably wouldn't run CPIs. Something like FMFs or Toomey T5s are killer all around pipes and even run a bit better everywhere over the CPIs except maybe right at 9000- 10,000rpms on a ported motor. Just trying to help make your bike more fun to ride and fast too.

i will agree with this on a stock ported bike you will lose a ton of lowend with the shearers or cpis, i really like the shearers though and would give up the tiny bit of midrange that they offer over the shearers just for how easy it is to get to the sparkys on the shearers! But if you wanna run the airbox then go with the cpis all the way because there is no way your running the airbox with the shearers!