Went 4poke... I dunno about it

MarineNYC

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still want to try a can am 450. I think they look tight and are powered by Rotax Single bolt steel frame, No whimpy Aluminum, and they cut the weight down as much as they could.!!! Cant go wrong with that. I wonder if they are as powerfull or moreso than the YFZs? Any of you guys ever ride one?

i dont know where you are getting your info from but, the can-am ds450 has "whimpy aluminum" all over it.

i dont know where you are getting your info from but, the can-am ds450 has "whimpy aluminum" all over it.

I just looked and wow. I remember them when they just started comming out as a solid steel tubing locknut frame. I remember thinking to myself thats refreshing and not liking how Kawi was doing the alum sub frame and even talking about it with someone. Not good for GNCC Racing if you ask me. Mabey I was wrong even about that or they changed it. IDK. Either way have you, or anyone rode one? Im still curious How they stack up againts the YFZ?

I have been out of the loop all race season. Ive rode here and there with a few people this summer but I havent even been to my local shop all summer. I have plenty of premix and tranny oil and Im done buying parts for the time being. I have alot on my plate rite now.

I hope next season is better.

I sold my Banshee a couple years ago and bought the LTR450, which I have to say I am VERY impressed with. Granted it doesnt have the arm ripping powerband, but it is fun to have power whenever you need/want it. I also had a banshee that was not reliable, I think it spent more time being towed back to camp then it did running. So just based off reliability alone I am happy about my choice. I ride dunes 99% of the time and so I have matched up against many banshees. It takes a decent modded banshee to keep up with me and I have very limited mods.

As far as power goes, I would say the Honda is bottom of the pack in the 450 class. Like what has been stated, it takes a lot of mods to make the honda 450 compete with the others. With that said, I have seen some Hondas at the dunes that will smoke anything out there but they are high dollar machines.

I too was skeptical about 4-strokes but I must say that I am stoked on my LTR still.

I will build another banshee for a hill-shooter someday but as far as all-around fun at the dunes, track, or trails, I would pick my LTR.

ONE

i just picked up an 08 trx 450 electric start. the suspension is adjustable. i love these bikes. honda has won the baja 1000 with these bikes, the crf45o too. ive been told that all they do is pipe them, cam them and suspension. no other company has been able to beat honda on reliability for these distance races. all i did to mine was gut the stock exhaust plug, remove the airbox lid, raise the stock main jet from 122 to 172, lower the front sprocket one tooth, and cut the green wire on the wire harness which releases 1000 more rpm and adds alittle timing to the top end. these bikes are cool. they wheelie easily and are loads of fun. enjoy it. one tank will take you extremely far in the dunes. the trxs that i have seen with hi-comp, stroker cranks, full system exhausts, ported heads, blah, blah, blah are not reliable at all. drag a banshee if you pick up another one. enjoy the 91 octane slurping honda for what it is. keep it reliable and ride the shit out of it. hope this helps.

I sold my Banshee a couple years ago and bought the LTR450, which I have to say I am VERY impressed with. Granted it doesnt have the arm ripping powerband, but it is fun to have power whenever you need/want it. I also had a banshee that was not reliable, I think it spent more time being towed back to camp then it did running. So just based off reliability alone I am happy about my choice. I ride dunes 99% of the time and so I have matched up against many banshees. It takes a decent modded banshee to keep up with me and I have very limited mods.

As far as power goes, I would say the Honda is bottom of the pack in the 450 class. Like what has been stated, it takes a lot of mods to make the honda 450 compete with the others. With that said, I have seen some Hondas at the dunes that will smoke anything out there but they are high dollar machines.

I too was skeptical about 4-strokes but I must say that I am stoked on my LTR still.

I will build another banshee for a hill-shooter someday but as far as all-around fun at the dunes, track, or trails, I would pick my LTR.

ONE

i was always under the impression that the ltr's were closere then trx 450's to the bottom of the totem pole when it came to power. :unsure:

and when all i had on my bike was gnarleys, k&n's & +4 timing i wasnt having any problems taking care of ltr's. idk, maybe it was just rider ability that was lacking, but of all the 450's that ive raced the ltr seemed to be one of the easier to keep up with. (note that any racing i do is in sand dunes and isnt just straight line drag racing)

and MARINE, i still cant believe you parted such a sick bike out but, once you get that 450 modded with full exhaust, cam, filter and a rev box it should be able to hold its own against anything you put it up against. also, if you decide to get it ported then as okbeast suggested i would hit up racers edge.

You cant go from an HJR ported motor and think your going to be happy with that thing. You have been spoiled and you will go broke before your happy with that thing. So get rid of it now or give it to the wife.

You cant go from an HJR ported motor and think your going to be happy with that thing. You have been spoiled and you will go broke before your happy with that thing. So get rid of it now or give it to the wife.

thats a pretty damn good point! :clap::notworthy:

i was always under the impression that the ltr's were closere then trx 450's to the bottom of the totem pole when it came to power. :unsure:

and when all i had on my bike was gnarleys, k&n's & +4 timing i wasnt having any problems taking care of ltr's. idk, maybe it was just rider ability that was lacking, but of all the 450's that ive raced the ltr seemed to be one of the easier to keep up with. (note that any racing i do is in sand dunes and isnt just straight line drag racing)

and MARINE, i still cant believe you parted such a sick bike out but, once you get that 450 modded with full exhaust, cam, filter and a rev box it should be able to hold its own against anything you put it up against. also, if you decide to get it ported then as okbeast suggested i would hit up racers edge.

Well I can tell you that you are wrong. I have NEVER lost to a kawi and i ride with a couple of Honda's and NONE of them keep up with me, the honda's seem to have lower torque, but nothing on the top end like the LTR. The KTM's are faster, but they are $$$$. I would say that the YFZ has the slight power edge in the lower, but my LTR seems to have a better top end it seems to pull longer.

I do agree with what you said on riders ability, thats where 90% of races are won or lost, but I rarely lose to a similar or slightly more modded 450 compared to mine. But, I have no problem taking on mild banshees. I drag a lot at the dunes so I do consider my-self to be a good rider, I win most of races off the launch. I am also fairly light at 155lbs, so that also helps.

But let me put this out there. I AM NOT FLAMING banshees, I agree 100% banshees are the KING, thats why i am still here and still have wet dreams of building a hill-shooter and pop a boner when a drag banshee pulls up to the drag hill. I was just saying that the 450's are plenty capable of producing good power and they can compete with the banshee. It just takes a little work.

ONE

ONE

I can't imagine going to the dunes without a two stroke to ride it would get boring riding a four poke. But this Trx450r bashing is crazy from what I have seen. My wife has a 05 450r with a 02 crf cam, esr intake, and exhaust. My brother in law has a Ktm 525xc with Ct exhaust and air box mods. In a drag race he cant get in front of the Trx. My buddy has a Yfz450 with the big three mods plus high comp piston and head work. The Trx can't beat him in a long race but in a short race I can. Maybe this Trx is just a freak.

i have a slightly different opinion on 4strokes then most.

IF you think you have to have one, get a used raptor 700, find it cheap.

Take the fucker apart, get the head ported, 5mil stroker, bore it to a 770,

get a dyna ignition, dual exhaust, bolt it back together and take off. They run very fast, reliable, and all that work is pretty inexpensive. In my opinion you got the 2nd worst 4 stroke sport bike made.

I agree. Find a big bore and start from that. I have a 720cc raptor. (660 raptor with 102mm piston and a +4mill crank) Hot Cam Stage 2, Kibble White valves, Kenz Cycle Tech ported head. It reves out rather nicely and has way more torque than any of the 450's could dream of. If you run a stage 3 cam it will rev out like the 450's.

I wouldnt trade my banshee for a raptor or my raptor for a banshee. You got to have both. It is fun having complete opposite

josh