Sucked Sand - Need suggestions

Titaniu

Yo all! I have 96er that has been a great bike over the last decade, but i went out this last weekend (COOS BAY, OR) and my filter pod fell off and i sucked sand into my carb, reed cage, and i have traces of sand in intake port!!!!!!!!!! Not good at all.

Comment: It was so nice having the whole dunes to ourselves. "In places, the dunes extend 2.5 miles inland, and some are as high as 500 feet. In 1972, 32,186 acres of dunes, forest, streams, and lakes were set aside as the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area."

What i am looking for is suggestions on how deep should i tare into it.

Sould i crack the cases open and just clean and inspect everything?

Or am I fudged up?

I already plan on doing pistons, rings, putting on my extra head that has been milled after pulling the jugs off and really seeing how far the sand is in the motor.

Do i need to worry about crank or bottom end having sand in it?

To fill ya all in, my buddy went back out and did find the filter pod about 1000 yards from campground. And i wasnt on to too hard at that point from what i remember, since we were headed in for the night. HEHE. It was late in the night, so who know what kind of attitude adjustment i had on. HEHE.

if the sand has managed to get all the way into the intak port im srry to say but i would recommend a complete tear down and clean the entire engine... :confused: as long as u did not run it for to long with out the pod it shouls not have done to much to the compression. if you can get a compression tester, i would definatly test the compression in the cylinders, even if you still have good compression just to be safe do a complete tear down and cleaning... this would also be a good time to do some power adding while its apart :evil:

first place it will go is the crank, then the juggs, so i wouldn't even do a comp test or turn it over. pull the crank, spend a good half an hour or so thouroughly cleaning and inspecting the bearings on the crank alone. just make sure you get it all out

me personaly ( since i work on all my shit) run a compression test and if it looked good i'd do a leak down test. if everything looked good i'd take the intake side apart and clean the hell out of it then run it.

if you realy want to get technical you can pull the top end (make sure to do a leak down first to make sure all your seals are good) then use something to flush the cases (fill the crank area up with whatever you choose, i use diesel. roll the crank a bunch then dump it. repeat untill your satisfied..) then put the top end back together. i'd do a compression check first to see if you can salvage the rings and pistons if you choose to go this far.

if you think about it by taking everyones advice and tearing it all the way down to inspect the crank do you realy think you will be able to tell if the crank bearings are bad after such a short occurance?

imo, if your going to go as far as breaking the cases then have the outer crank bearings replaced. it's money well spent if your going that far. otherwise flush the cases and go with it.

as i said, i'd clean up the intake and run that thing till it starts making funny noises...

worst case scenario you have to tear it back down and do everything you are thinking about doing for the most part...

Edited by swrbansheeboy

if you think about it by taking everyones advice and tearing it all the way down to inspect the crank do you realy think you will be able to tell if the crank bearings are bad after such a short occurance?

No but you can feel the grit in the bearings, and you can use solvent and an air compressor to blow directly through the bearings to get the grit out. That way you dont destroy the bearings that still could be good.

No but you can feel the grit in the bearings, and you can use solvent and an air compressor to blow directly through the bearings to get the grit out. That way you dont destroy the bearings that still could be good.

if i were to tear it down that far i would just clean the hell out of the inners and replace the outers. why take a chance on questionable bearings when you can drop $50 or so on new ones and feel better about it...

i'd at least swap out the drive side bearing since it's the one that has the most load on it...

• 1 month later...
me personaly ( since i work on all my shit) run a compression test and if it looked good i'd do a leak down test. if everything looked good i'd take the intake side apart and clean the hell out of it then run it.

if you realy want to get technical you can pull the top end (make sure to do a leak down first to make sure all your seals are good) then use something to flush the cases (fill the crank area up with whatever you choose, i use diesel. roll the crank a bunch then dump it. repeat untill your satisfied..) then put the top end back together. i'd do a compression check first to see if you can salvage the rings and pistons if you choose to go this far.

imo, if your going to go as far as breaking the cases then have the outer crank bearings replaced. it's money well spent if your going that far. otherwise flush the cases and go with it.

as i said, i'd clean up the intake and run that thing till it starts making funny noises...

worst case scenario you have to tear it back down and do everything you are thinking about doing for the most part...

sand is the WORST thing for ANY engine. the LAST thing you want to do is turn it in any way shape and form without cleaning the living shit out of it. it doesnt take much at all to ruin a bearing and running with no filter at all surely sucked in alot more than you can belive. i would change it all if it was me. but good luck with which ever route you take.

id tear it doun and replace any bearings thet the sand could have gotten to ,,i dont really care if i can clean em i wouldnt want that shit going bad later for no reason

i.e wrist pin bearing, crank bearings, and if i knew for sure that sand got to the crank id also have the crank pressed apard to do the center bearing and the bottom rod bearings

im paranoid of sand, i always run a good filter and an airbox with a filter lid any time im around sand,,shits like cancer to an engine :sick:

i might sound stupid but thats my .02 :shrug:

+1 for the teardown...if it got in your intake then it is definately in your motor, I wouldn't even do a compression test...what's the point really? If you were lucky enough to not damage the cylinders yet then you have to assume there is sand in the motor somewhere and continuosly turning it over will eventually move that sand around to places where it will trully damage things if they aren't already. A compression test is for people that can't get their engine to fire or if the bike is not running properly. And don't bother with a leakdown test either until after you put the motor back together. A leakdown won't tell you if there is sand in your motor...it will only tell you if you have a leak from gaskets or your intake boots, etc. which isn't your concern yet.

I too wrench on my on stuff and think you would be best off by tearing everything down including splitting the cases and getting everything spot clean. Make sure to be overly thourough! Inspect the cylinders for scores and if they aren't bad, then reassemble and do a compression test. If results are good then away you go!

If not, then you know that all it really cost you is at the very least a re-hone and rings which would run you about $40 bucks or at the most...a re-bore and new rings/pistons for $300 bucks.

Just my .02