Rebuild wont start help

well i have owned a banshee for the greater portion this year and loved every second of it. Recently a bad throttle cable (aftermarket tors removed) caused some dirt entry into my motor and killed my pistons. The banshee has had much work b4 and after this rebuild. b4 includes

shaved head

fmf gnarleys

K&N with lid removed

trail port

FMF jet kit

hot rods stock stroke crank

bored .80 over

2 degree advance timing key

needless to say the head was damaged enough to have to have it milled to the point of losing some compression. The stock cylinder walls i didnt want to take a chance on damaging them either. And the reeds were cracked and badly needed to be replaced. so here is the list of other mods in addition to i have added.

Prodesign cool head

Vforce3 reed intake system

LA sleeve big bore sleeves and pistons 68mm

new tors eliminator kit with carb caps

So i slapped it together and i cant get it to start for the life of me. Today i disassembled the top end and re assembled it to make sure torque specs of 20 lbs were god and there was a lot of compression in the new top end evan kicking it over ( I ripped a hole in my shoes from backkicks). The motor itself doesnt start unless i give it some gas and evan then it backfires and seems starved of fuel. It would not run for more than 30 seconds and evan then it sounded horrible and bogged way out evan with throttle wide open. I thought the fmf jet kit would suffise enough to get it running b4 i had to jet it but im pretty sure thats why i cant get it started w/o giving it fuel. During the rebuild i cleaned the carbs several times. The float bowls needed to be replaced when i got the bike but i dont see how that would make it not start since its just dumping some extra fuel onto the ground. Personally I am not a carb man and havent done much jetting but im pretty sure this is the direction i need to go but am open to any suggestions. my height elevation is at sea level and i run 93 octane with supatechnaplate oil from klotz at 40:1. This banshee has always run 40:1. This year when i tried to run 32:1 in it it would not evan start. But that was b4 the rebuild.

OMG its almost november and I need to 2 stroke it bad :down:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure on the jet size but it was fmf jet kit for the gnarleys so i assume its pro like 270 or close. as for the crossover tube it is installed and replaced with this build. As for needle settings its on the 2cd from the top so its set lean but this bike ran perrrrrrrrrfect b4 this all happened i mean no backfires/kicks over 1st start every time/ timing was great (2 degrees advanced). Now that i can't get it to start i cant really check the timing ya know...

check to see if the choke {cross-over hose} is there in place...... i just had a banshee of my buddys kick my ass for 4 hours till i saw the rubber tube that runs between the two carbs and connects them was removed.... i had the same sympoms as you are desribing.... good luck

you may have or may have not been talking about this tube in your last reply......... i gota make sure.... some say crossover tube and mean the one on the intakes..... good luck once again

Edited by r_flagel222

check the flywheel timing gap. .018-.020 anything more then that and you get weak spark or no spark,

the 4 things you need to run good.

air - check to see nothing obstructing airways into the motor

fuel - check carbs to see if they have fuel by draining some out the bottom

psi - do a compression check to see if you have a minimum of 100 psi

spark - have a buddy kick it over and see if your getting spark.

if you got those 4 things it should be running, check timing gap if no spark or make sure all your wires are connected right and not all rusted up.

use fresh spark plugs.

Check your flywheel to see if its spun on the shaft.

Im with this guy, check that timing key. And not to sound like a smartass, but are the pistons in correctly? LOL I have had 4 bikes brought to me this summer for no-starts, only to find their "do it yourself" top end job was done wrong.......

Check your flywheel to see if its spun on the shaft.

Im with this guy, check that timing key. And not to sound like a smartass, but are the pistons in correctly? LOL I have had 4 bikes brought to me this summer for no-starts, only to find their "do it yourself" top end job was done wrong.......

ha!, when i got my juggs back from passions he said he'd see that all the time people putting the pistons on backwards...

the crossover tube is in place yes. To those of you who think im a nub and cant put the arrows on the pistons facing the correct way you make me a sad panda. I havent checked the flywheel at all i was hoping to not get into the left side of the motor :geek:. Pretty much thinking i have some week spark so flywheel is probably going to get looked at. but from the information i have supplied could someone say that the jets should make the banshee run ? I was thinking that it should run and i would just re-jet it after i got it running. As for the TORS removel it was done b4 the rebuild but the throttle cable let dirt into the motor so it had to be replaced so i purchased the kit with new carb tops.