Lockout Clutch Needed?

mailman

I was wondering if anyone had any success running a 95+ hp banshee without a lockout clutch for duning and hill shooting? Obviously you would need hd springs (Barnetts or Toomeys) and better fibers and steels.

Also, if a lockout is needed, then can it be run competitively without an overide trans?

Mailman

I run a lockup with no over ride. I have a drag ported 4 mill. I just do all kinds of riding with it so I didnt want a dunable override. I know they are supose to be able to be back loaded.

I also like the fact that I can run 6 oem clutch springs for a soft lever and it slips a little out of the hole to keep the R's up.

I put a 421 cub on a stock clutch and tranny. Clutch wouldn't hold and it wouldn't shift reliably. I now have slingshot and a 1-5, neutral down override. that combo took me from high to mid 5s to a consistent mid 4 et. I was crossing the finish line tapped out in 3rd gear, now I shift into 5th just before I cross.

I also chase my grandkids around the dunes on this bike. The duneable override works very well for that as well. Of course, I no longer do the slammin downshifts into corners, but it does a very good job overall and, so far, has been very reliable.

Rick

Ditto...

Had a 4 mil cub on gas, made the mistake of putting it back together with a FAST clutch, HD springs and no override...

Clutch held...but it wouldn't shift for crap under full load. No point of having 90 to 95 HP if you can't shift it.

When you're ready for a dunable override and lockup & Lockup cover, PM me...I'll get you hooked up.

im gonna let you guys on a little secret :thumbsup: lol if you want to run a non-lockup use these springs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle...p4506.m20.l1116

they are off of an older yamaha street bike xs1100?? they test at around 90lbs, and there cheap as hell!! :biggrin: the highest spring that i have found for the banshee is 80lbs-85lbs (i think rdz maybe??) standard HD springs are around 60lbs and the stockers around 30lbs. you will need longer bolts and something to shim the spring out with, i used a couple of regular lock washers that were small enough to fit into the spring to extend the stand, otherwise the spring will be into coil bind and will not work at all. hope this helps!!!!

p.s. you better have a EZ pull or equivalent perch cause that SOB is hard to pull (never bothered me much but everyone that rode my bike complained)

let me in on this thread! i have 60+HP bike and just trail ride and run a higher gearing go fast down back roads. i have a barnett w/ HD springs. should i go to a lockout? and also i plan on making my a bike a 70-80 HP bike. will the stock tranny be all right for that or is 60-65 about the most i wanna have? it seems to crank through the gears no problem and i have well over 20 hrs of riding on it. but i want to throw some cubs on it. or will it be to much u think?

Ditto...

Had a 4 mil cub on gas, made the mistake of putting it back together with a FAST clutch, HD springs and no override...

Clutch held...but it wouldn't shift for crap under full load. No point of having 90 to 95 HP if you can't shift it.

When you're ready for a dunable override and lockup & Lockup cover, PM me...I'll get you hooked up.

I second that, Dave is the only person i deal with when i need parts. Great guy to deal with!

I was wondering if anyone had any success running a 95+ hp banshee without a lockout clutch for duning and hill shooting? Obviously you would need hd springs (Barnetts or Toomeys) and better fibers and steels.

Also, if a lockout is needed, then can it be run competitively without an overide trans?

Mailman

I ran a 392 Cub with no lockout or override for a good while with no issues. It as not a 95 hp motor, though...maybe 80 hp. I later put in on alky and got an override (still no lock-up) and didn't realize that the clutch was slipping until it was on the dyno. It made about 83 hp before the hp curve showed the clutch slipping (keep in mind that this clutch was 2 years old). We're guessing it is 90+ hp. It now has a lockup.

I ran a 421 Cub on alky and lockup without an override and didn't have terrible shifting problems. I could run 4.60s in 300ft on a bad track. Now on the same track with an override it runs 4.30s (4.10s all day long on a good track)

If I had it to do over again, I would have went with a lockup and override in the beginning, but it is not an absolute necessity, imo.