Power Valves

Handyman

I have all the stock RZ components if any body wants to see pics of what all is required for the swap

Cylinders

PV's

Head

Stator

CDI

PV control box

PV servo motor

The only thing I don't have yet, I still need to make is the exhaust flanges.

I also have all the wiring diagrams too if anybody wants to see them. As for anybody wanting to track down any RZ parts I can point you in a good direction....

Clicky here

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually audi has a diesel race car its pretty fucken sick btw. look it up its call the r10. Honestly if automakers took the time im sure diesels would be far more economical than gas engines.

Lets make a list of the race cars that don't use a diesel engine.

Wait a minute..... The list would be a forum in and of itself.

There are too many ethanol plants springing up, here around the midwest, for car manufactures to switch too diesel as the primary source of fuel.

I will give you this though, Diesels shine when it comes to making torque. Gas engines shine when it comes to making HP. Personally I enjoy being able to turn more then 3k rpm.

there are alot of diesel Lemans Race cars that do very well, and put out a huge amount of horse power. Tourqe wins races not horse power. :wink:

as far as economical diesel engines are get alot better miles to the gallon vs gasoline cars. That is the main reason Audi does so well in races because they can go alot further inbetween pit stops. I can understand wanting to be able to rev an engine. But personaly i would rather have a tourque engine than a 9k redlining 4 cyclender. I know many people that would rather have it the other way around though. To each his own. :shrug:

Edited by PhantomMs1

I think pictures of all of that stuff would be great. Pictures are always a good thing! If some one was looking to do this swap how much do you think it could be done for. I understand that there is a big difference in the price of jugs sometimes but a ball park figure.

Here is what I "had".

ebay858.jpg

i have a 02 shee with a fresh top end PT's and just finished up the RZshee with a fresh top end PT's and all i have to say is i no longer think stock to stock a shee could hang. it feels like the shee is just a toy now after i get on it from the RZshee. only diff between as far as mods are the front sprocket where the shee is at a 13 and the RZshee is on a 12 and cant realy tell the diff in the lower end but the RZshee pulls away in the top side of things. im 245lbs and the RZshee pulls me up in 4th where the shee just makes me hold on.

the PT pipes are a real draw back for that motor and would highly advise on going with a better exhaust if your going to do this conversion, they just cant flow with the motor in the top end, i went with spek2 flanges and everything lined rite up.

the wireing wasnt so bad, i ended up starting from scratch with it and had it rite the first go around, thanks to the guys on the forum that helped me threw this, i just have to go bck threw it and figure out a way to get the shee kill switch running rite but the key does the trick for now.

i have a 02 shee with a fresh top end PT's and just finished up the RZshee with a fresh top end PT's and all i have to say is i no longer think stock to stock a shee could hang. it feels like the shee is just a toy now after i get on it from the RZshee. only diff between as far as mods are the front sprocket where the shee is at a 13 and the RZshee is on a 12 and cant realy tell the diff in the lower end but the RZshee pulls away in the top side of things. im 245lbs and the RZshee pulls me up in 4th where the shee just makes me hold on.

the PT pipes are a real draw back for that motor and would highly advise on going with a better exhaust if your going to do this conversion, they just cant flow with the motor in the top end, i went with spek2 flanges and everything lined rite up.

the wireing wasnt so bad, i ended up starting from scratch with it and had it rite the first go around, thanks to the guys on the forum that helped me threw this, i just have to go bck threw it and figure out a way to get the shee kill switch running rite but the key does the trick for now.

If you have any pictures/information of the swap post it up I am sure we are all very interested (at least I know I am).

Yeah, the sad thing is that the RZ swap can be kind of expensive and definately doesn't get enough credit. There are lots of people that think they are gonna get a awesome torque motor out of a stock cylinder motor by putting that 2:1 pipe and carb shit on there and then doing whatever porting they do to it, which maybe they will be torquey but not without sacrificing all the top end.

The Banshee / RZ motors were designed to be high RPM screamers, the only reason I could see Yamaha taking those goodies off from the RZ to make the Shee would be to keep things simple, lessen the maintenence, maybe lessen the cost.

As I have said before, a 4 mil RZ motor (with proper 4 mil porting) would be a killer trail, woods, mx motor that will more than out perform the choked up stockers with the 2:1 shit and still go out and be a real hot duner / recreational dragger.

Sorry but I despise the 2:1 carb / pipe setups, to me in comparison, that would be like taking a Chevy DZ 302 motor (some will know what I'm talking about) putting 2bbl 350 heads on it, a 2bbl carb, a low RPM econimizer cam in it, slapping it in a big ole dually one ton and saying it's your car hauler.

I will take some close up pics of all the parts later and post them up or even E-Mail them to you "Phantom" along with wiring diagrams.

Thanks to all you that have in depth experience with these motors and this swap for chiming in !!!

Mike

there are alot of diesel Lemans Race cars that do very well, and put out a huge amount of horse power. Tourqe wins races not horse power. :wink:

as far as economical diesel engines are get alot better miles to the gallon vs gasoline cars. That is the main reason Audi does so well in races because they can go alot further inbetween pit stops. I can understand wanting to be able to rev an engine. But personaly i would rather have a tourque engine than a 9k redlining 4 cyclender. I know many people that would rather have it the other way around though. To each his own. :shrug:

Common myth.

For example: Take 2 identical cars, both weighing 3000#. In the first car we are going to put a Formula 1 engine, makes about 800HP and about 380ish ft/lbs of torque.

In the second car we will put Diesel engine, 300Hp and like 500 ft/lbs of torque. The car with the formula 1 engine will win races all day long over the diesel powered car. I agree that there are plenty diesel powered cars out there that perform pretty well. But they are not superior to gas burners. All these 4 strokes you ride with, have more torque then your banshee. Do they usually beat you?

Fire head, have you put much thought into alternative fuels or even electric? Our biggest obstacle with electric is batteries and aerodynamic coefficients for the average truck or SUV. The old design is to make a rolling barn door to bring in good air to the radiator. Obviously making a truck slippery will be a feat in itself.

Every time I see fuel go up, I am getting closer to having an engineering pow wow to come up with something else. In electric, The cost effective choice is lead acid but I am just not sold on 100yo technology. I am waiting to see slow discharge capacitors or something. Any thoughts?

Brandon

Fire head, have you put much thought into alternative fuels or even electric? Our biggest obstacle with electric is batteries and aerodynamic coefficients for the average truck or SUV. The old design is to make a rolling barn door to bring in good air to the radiator. Obviously making a truck slippery will be a feat in itself.

Brandon

I just do the engines not the vehicles. However, some folks that use are engines are doing pretty well with their new aero-style cab.

http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/trucks/f...model/cascadia/

ummmm actuallyy i have had the devine experience of dooing one of these swaps about 15 years ago. at taht time there was very little "internet" and i had no idea you could get all new electronics. but even with that i will take my 485cc cheeta pv motor over any pos rz engine also i would NEVER use a 2-1 intake and that POS 2-1 pipe thats available for any reason at all at the time of the one i dealt with i trashed the motor and built one of my own mx engines there was an rz equiped banshee on the mx circuit at the time and the one i did smoked the shizzle out of it. and even ended up winning a state champinship. i am not saying in anyway that it was a bad idea i love the powervalve motors. and the idea of having a port that opens when i want it too and if available under certain loads to the motor compared to throttle position would be sweet. i would love to do a 192d closed to 201 open controlable port would be sweet.. those were just my experiences from way back then i dont have any plans to do any sort of rz build at anytime .. the rz drum and forks used bearing on the pins in the drums they shifted nicely because of this in a way most "banshee's with shifting problems now are due to shitty maintenance and worn out parts.. i do a trans mod that is not an override but will shift beautiffly under a full load ... but now witht he invention of the "duneable override" i dotn think i will be dooing much of those.. i am talking about alky motors that produce over 100 hp and are in the 60-80ft lbs of tq range... thse types of motors wold smash the normal person into tree's from uncontrolable wheelies int he woods.. i believe i could do a 409cc cheeta that would perform better than the rz's and have much less electronics and look cleaner and use all normally avaialble parts..

but thats just mee..

You can say whatever you want "camatv" about the RZ motor being a piece of shit.....Just remember you are calling the the Banshee motor a piece of shit also. The good ole Yammi twin has been around since the 70's, the best thing Yamaha ever did was liquid cool it and add the Power Valves, then they detuned the shit out of it and stuff it in the worlds greatest quad.

The RZ swap might not be for everyone and or not everybodies first choice, but it is by far no means a piece of shit, it actually a really awesome upgrade over Banshee cylinders !!