Power Valves

Handyman

Powervalves can't be put in cyclinders not made for them(as far as I know)...Looking at my stock cyclinders and my powervalve cylinders they are made different....as far the castings and internal aspects...You will have to buy the cylinders that are made specifically for the powervalves. The area that the PV's are installed in have to have a flat surface to set onto create a good seat.. and the fact that seat area is also thicker in that area...which the sotck cylinders are not..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I figured. You have a Cheetah pv motor? How does it run? is it a wild drag bike or can you ride it anywhere? is the power-valve worth the effort? also I know that most pipes will not fit on a pv motor. can you just make custom piece to fit any exhaust on? i've heard that PT pipes might fit on a PV motor but I have no experience here.

This generally correct, however if you had the fabrication and machine resoursces, anything is possible. :geek:

What would need to be done to the stock banshee jug to allow power valves? I personaly do not have any fabricatating skills but one of my friends has the capability and access to make just about anything.

I know the cheetah engines make lots of power, but is that power manageble? or could you still take a cheetah power valve engine and use it in the trails or for mx?

you dont wanna try to rig up any powervalves. if you really want a good strong woods motor then just contact a builder about doing a woods port on your stock cylinders for you. my brother had one a few years back and it was awesome in the woods. tons of low end grunt.

What would need to be done to the stock banshee jug to allow power valves? I personaly do not have any fabricatating skills but one of my friends has the capability and access to make just about anything.

I know the cheetah engines make lots of power, but is that power manageble? or could you still take a cheetah power valve engine and use it in the trails or for mx?

If you said duning and some drag racing, I'd say yes. For trails and MX, however, you'd be better off as said with a good woods/MX port for a reputable builder (please do a search on builders, it's been covered a gazillion times)

RZ would be the next best setup if you have the patience to work through the wiring issues/electrical system to operate the power valves...

you dont wanna try to rig up any powervalves. if you really want a good strong woods motor then just contact a builder about doing a woods port on your stock cylinders for you. my brother had one a few years back and it was awesome in the woods. tons of low end grunt.

I agree, a good woods port will be great, i've heard good things about them. I just find the idea of power valves really interesting and a good idea. I'm not looking for what I Should do with my Banshee. I'm looking for an open descusion about power vavles.

People that have done or ridden a RZ banshee? what were your ridding impressions, thoughts and idea's.

Yep, i've done my homework I have talked to most of the good builders/sponsors about a good woods port already. I have been apart of this forum for a while now, I normaly don't post because it seems like alot of topics are started by people asking which is better and it turns out to be I like this and I like that, only because thats what they run. I just couldn't seem to find much good information about the RZ engine swap and/or powervalves.

While the RZ engine is on topic, how hard is it to wire up one of those engines and what goes into it? Electrical problems I am pretty good with. I find it easy to read and follow most electrical diagrams and printouts. I understand that the RZ swap wont have printouts but I do not think it would be too hard of a job.

Yep, i've done my homework I have talked to most of the good builders/sponsors about a good woods port already. I have been apart of this forum for a while now, I normaly don't post because it seems like alot of topics are started by people asking which is better and it turns out to be I like this and I like that, only because thats what they run. I just couldn't seem to find much good information about the RZ engine swap and/or powervalves.

While the RZ engine is on topic, how hard is it to wire up one of those engines and what goes into it? Electrical problems I am pretty good with. I find it easy to read and follow most electrical diagrams and printouts. I understand that the RZ swap wont have printouts but I do not think it would be too hard of a job.

I would say where you get into trouble is when things need "tuned" and if you are unfamiliar with what needs "tuned" and how, you may always run a turd that lacks in power. PVs are something that show be offered on every single two stroke across the board. No they are really not needed for drag racing but the drag racing group is rather small in numbers compared to rec riders. For drags, simply block it, or pin it open, problem solved.

I would say the RZ swap is one of the easiest things mechanically. Electrically, not that bad either but working through problems can bite you in the ass and good luck with many repair guys on fixing what you did! Your mess, you clean it up. Most of the modern PVs use a simple spring actuator to open on pressure. Though that is an inferior design to the electronic stuff, it seems to work pretty well. I think Yamaha was WELL before it's time with the electronic PV. Now if we could make the engine as efficient as a diesel, the PV would take a STRONG upswing in technology.

As a matter of fact, the modern 4 poke cars have taken from this technology with the V-tec in the Honda line and so on. Variable valve timing is a sweet thing. Many OEMs recognize it but have to look at the bottom line and try not to raise the price of your new car by 5K to supplement the trick features.

If you are looking for a woods motor, Look no further than a woods port with a 2-1 pipe and single carb. That is the only way to do them IMO. The PV could help but doubt it would be worth the effort. Now if you want a woods motor than can dune with the best, that is when the PV will help.

Brandon

That's what I figured. You have a Cheetah pv motor? How does it run? is it a wild drag bike or can you ride it anywhere? is the power-valve worth the effort? also I know that most pipes will not fit on a pv motor. can you just make custom piece to fit any exhaust on? i've heard that PT pipes might fit on a PV motor but I have no experience here.

The motor is awesome in the sand...I can go play in the dunes and then go line up at the hill and race and hold my own if not win...The all out drag bikes tend to be a little faster...the PV's help on the low end when playing in the sand...most of the reputable exhaust systems will fit onto the PV cylinders.. Toomey's, T5's, CPI's, Shearer's, etc....

I would say where you get into trouble is when things need "tuned" and if you are unfamiliar with what needs "tuned" and how, you may always run a turd that lacks in power. PVs are something that show be offered on every single two stroke across the board. No they are really not needed for drag racing but the drag racing group is rather small in numbers compared to rec riders. For drags, simply block it, or pin it open, problem solved.

I would say the RZ swap is one of the easiest things mechanically. Electrically, not that bad either but working through problems can bite you in the ass and good luck with many repair guys on fixing what you did! Your mess, you clean it up. Most of the modern PVs use a simple spring actuator to open on pressure. Though that is an inferior design to the electronic stuff, it seems to work pretty well. I think Yamaha was WELL before it's time with the electronic PV. Now if we could make the engine as efficient as a diesel, the PV would take a STRONG upswing in technology.

As a matter of fact, the modern 4 poke cars have taken from this technology with the V-tec in the Honda line and so on. Variable valve timing is a sweet thing. Many OEMs recognize it but have to look at the bottom line and try not to raise the price of your new car by 5K to supplement the trick features.

If you are looking for a woods motor, Look no further than a woods port with a 2-1 pipe and single carb. That is the only way to do them IMO. The PV could help but doubt it would be worth the effort. Now if you want a woods motor than can dune with the best, that is when the PV will help.

Brandon

Word.

I have some ideas for a diesel Banshee engine.............. if you're interested, start a thread about it and I will contribute. As a teaser: you would not even need new cylinders, just some waterpump area modifications and a few other things. I am not sure what I could get out of it for performance numbers, but I could easily beat OEM Banshee numbers. :geek:

Firehead, I assume it would be a turbo diesel to get the needed HP. What would you use for an injection pump? Do you think the bottom end could handle the violence of the diesel combustion cycle? I would fuckin get wood if I saw a banshee rippin through the dunes blowin black smoke out the back. I love diesels. :evil:

Firehead, I assume it would be a turbo diesel to get the needed HP. What would you use for an injection pump? Do you think the bottom end could handle the violence of the diesel combustion cycle? I would fuckin get wood if I saw a banshee rippin through the dunes blowin black smoke out the back. I love diesels. :evil:

Easy there big fella. What you do in your private life with a Banshee is your business** :biggrin:

Brandon

It might need a turbo or it might not, I would have to work that out. The injection pump I have in mind is from a Kubota tractor. The bottom end would probably be ok. Diesel combustion done properly is usually alot less chaotic than gas engines these days.