lockout

lonestar

If it makes you feel any better (not that you need to), I deal with that BS everyday. To a certain extent it was not that bad in the racing industry because the time from initial concept to the door was very short, but again we were never supplying to the general public.

Now, in my new position, every design, design change, or even an untimely nose twitch has to be thoroughly docuemented and run through various departments through out the world before it ever makes it to production certification and then finally the somewhat general public. IMO in this environment you have to have an even thicker skin as an engineer.

LOL I would agree with you on this as an engineer I see allot of crazy stuff I don

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to have guys like Nate, Boston, and GP here on BHQ along with the guys like Jim, Jeff, and a bunch of others. One of the purposes of the forum is to exchange information. Hopefully they realize that the majority of us don't act like idiots.

Ahhhh...I love threads like this.

You've gotta love the people who put all of their weight behind the term "engineer".

I've only been in racing for about 12 years on a daily basis, but it's always nice to watch those who tell you why something *SHOULD* work (engineers) argue with those who know something *DOES* work (racers).

I've had enough engineers as customers who tell me why something "could be done better" only to return to me at a later date to have me correct the issue.

:blink: .............brain numb,......must look away!!!

damn, no disrespect to anyone involved in this little squabble, especially since i am by no means qualified to throw my hat in the ring on this...........but here goes...

good thing you guys didnt hash this thing out toe-to toe, somebody might have gotten a slide rule forcibly inserted into a bodily orifice!!!! :yucky:

sorry, couldnt stop myself guys!!!!

Ahhhh...I love threads like this.

You've gotta love the people who put all of their weight behind the term "engineer".

I've only been in racing for about 12 years on a daily basis, but it's always nice to watch those who tell you why something *SHOULD* work (engineers) argue with those who know something *DOES* work (racers).

I've had enough engineers as customers who tell me why something "could be done better" only to return to me at a later date to have me correct the issue.

How do you feel that racing engineers fit into this? I agree with you by the way. My job title hasn't had the word engineer in it for awhile, maybe that lets me get a way with more.........................., but probably not. :ermm:

:blink: .............brain numb,......must look away!!!

damn, no disrespect to anyone involved in this little squabble, especially since i am by no means qualified to throw my hat in the ring on this...........but here goes...

good thing you guys didnt hash this thing out toe-to toe, somebody might have gotten a slide rule forcibly inserted into a bodily orifice!!!! :yucky:

sorry, couldnt stop myself guys!!!!

I am more a dykem thumb print to the forehead kind of guy myself...................maybe the back of an ear if I were upset at you for doing something sneaky. :biggrin:

I am more a dykem thumb print to the forehead kind of guy myself...................maybe the back of an ear if I were upset at you for doing something sneaky. :biggrin:

hahaha.......been a while since ive pulled that one on someone.....but then again, i have more of a sadistic "superglue gell on the toilet seat" kindof asshole!! :biggrin: ......the boss hates it when i do that!!

hahaha.......been a while since ive pulled that one on someone.....but then again, i have more of a sadistic "superglue gell on the toilet seat" kindof asshole!! :biggrin: ......the boss hates it when i do that!!

I have never done that, but I have stumbled upon the remnants of that once. Needless to say, I chose another stall.

The dykem thing is really the only physical abuse I give anyone any more and my group of peers to fool around with has gotten smaller as I move upwards in the world. I really doubt my boss would find anything like any of this remotely funny, however he does like to hear the shop guys storys about the engineer that works for that they call Borat, personally I think the guy looks like a Brazilian version of Fez from That '70's Show. :biggrin:

In high school football we seemed to have atleast a few people every week fall victim to the toilet paper roll in the stall being soaked over night in Icy Hot. I always thought that was the funniest thing ever, and I suspect that is only becasue someone only got me once with that and I am pretty sure they didn't use the right Icy Hot or didn't soak the roll long enough. :biggrin:

never did te football thing in school....gearhead to the core!!! :biggrin:

the icy hot trick sounds good, think i know just the guy to nail w/ it

i also have a bad habbit of keeping a unusually high nimber of bottlerockets and jumping jacks stashed in my toolbox, because they fit quite nicely under the bathroom door.......ok,ok.....so i refuse to grow up, big deal!!!!

never did te football thing in school....gearhead to the core!!! :biggrin:

the icy hot trick sounds good, think i know just the guy to nail w/ it

i also have a bad habbit of keeping a unusually high nimber of bottlerockets and jumping jacks stashed in my toolbox, because they fit quite nicely under the bathroom door.......ok,ok.....so i refuse to grow up, big deal!!!!

I did alot of car stuff in high school, but I was an only child and neither of my parents were much into cars, so the few lifted trucks I bought with my own money wwere all I ever got to fiddle with. The four years of high school autoshop I took didn't help either as it was mostly vocational training oriented and did little to teach the theory behind anything. Mosto f the time the instructor had to spend most of his time babysitting kids as they wound up being tossed in that class if they couldn't make it anywhere else.

I like to think one of the reason I am as popular as I am in my industry is one, because I will pretty much talk to anyone and two, is if a situation does not require prodessionalism or civilized behavior, then I am my own four year old. You have to remember, I am generally wearing a suit when I am doing the dykem thing these days.

The most elaborate prank I can remember this evening is when I was working at the university getting my master's degree, I was employed as an adjunct faculty member and ran the vehicle research lab. There was kid that was sort of in a similair position that ran the composites lab, but was there for other reasons, mostly because he couldn't cut it in a few of the other engineering majors. The students from my major always had to use the composites lab and this kid always taught them thing incorrectly and/or ruined their projects with bad instruction. Anyway, he rode his 10 speed women's bike to school every day, one day after he had instructed a student to use polyester resin with unsized carbon fiber on a multi-million dollar car body, I decided I need to help the wanker embarass himself. So, I wuickly modeled up and programmed a a relatively realistic looking penis, knocked it out on the live tooled lathe, and replaced his bicycle seat with it. When the guy went to go home in the evening several other folks and myself staked out the bike rack outside the building and got to watch the guy sit there and stare at it for awhile and proceed to try to ride home standing on the pedals. Of course since his new seat was pointing straight up out of the seat post much higher than a normal seat he had to be very careful not to take it in the ass every time he pushed a pedal down.

That still makes me giggle. :biggrin:

Maybe this thread will turn into helpful info after all. :cool:

As many of you might imagine, all lockouts are not created equal. And a comparison between the different brands of the traditional style is enlightening. I will have my own California test results compiled, and I will even share some my test methods in the near future. We have done extensive clutch tests over the last few years out of necessity. We have an 18mm setup that produced 100ft lbs of torque at only 7500rpm, the last time on the Dyno. So clutch testing never ends... :biggrin:

Maybe this thread will turn into helpful info after all. :cool:

As many of you might imagine, all lockouts are not created equal. And a comparison between the different brands of the traditional style is enlightening. I will have my own California test results compiled, and I will even share some my test methods in the near future. We have done extensive clutch tests over the last few years out of necessity. We have an 18mm setup that produced 100ft lbs of torque at only 7500rpm, the last time on the Dyno. So clutch testing never ends... :biggrin:

I am curious about how you are testing these clutchs (not asshole curoious). I know how I have done it and how the rest of my industry does it, but I suspect it's out of your guys budget range. Other than broken/not broken testing a chassis dyno how you guys qualifying your components against a traditional lockout? Do you guys have any break away torque numbers or possibly fade numbers? What temperatures are you guys seeing at the steels? I am sure I have more nerdy questions, but for now I have to go get on an airplane. :geek: