A-Arm widening kits

Bairdy13

Per Fireheads request.. some pics of some of my old trikes.

This is the 85 Z, I fit an 85 CR500 engine into. I extended a stock swinger to +12 and she ran like a raped ape. I painted it all flat black so no one would be able to tell what the hell it was from a distance.

5003.jpg

5005.jpg

Here is my 86 that I did a ground up total restoration on. She was sweet!!

86sand.jpg

Now, here is something you will never see anywhere... at least probably never in person. The bottom end is a 85 Tri Z, with cut billet gears. The top end was originally a YZ465 (aircooled) The fins were cut off, and waterjackets added to convert it to liquid cooled. The crank is out of a YZ400, was narrowed with roller bearings and stroked 7mm. So when its all said and done with, the actual displacement was around a 425cc. On alcohol she ran mid to low 4's and was a screamer. All the polishing and engine turning was done by a local aluminum polisher.

big6.jpg

Here are a few shots of the bike it was in. Now I just put my little YZ250 engine back in this bike, and have it as a little 250 dragster.. Its fun to ride.

chrome1.jpg

chrome3.jpg

drag4.jpg

Thats the only trike I still have. Sold everything else, besides my 96 shee, and a frame I plan on eventually building another nice shee with.

Oh and one more.. here is when I had all 3 Tri Z models at one time.

triad.jpg

Edited by CHAINSAW

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im actually considering into getting one of these kits but since I have the 450 shocks wouldnt I be able to leave then in the stock shock mounts up to being a longer shock? Would atleast eliminate the worrie of the upper bracket. Let me know what you think

Per Fireheads request.. some pics of some of my old trikes.

This is the 85 Z, I fit an 85 CR500 engine into. I extended a stock swinger to +12 and she ran like a raped ape. I painted it all flat black so no one would be able to tell what the hell it was from a distance.

Here is my 86 that I did a ground up total restoration on. She was sweet!!

86sand.jpg

Now, here is something you will never see anywhere... at least probably never in person. The bottom end is a 85 Tri Z, with cut billet gears. The top end was originally a YZ465 (aircooled) The fins were cut off, and waterjackets added to convert it to liquid cooled. The crank is out of a YZ400, was narrowed with roller bearings and stroked 7mm. So when its all said and done with, the actual displacement was around a 425cc. On alcohol she ran mid to low 4's and was a screamer. All the polishing and engine turning was done by a local aluminum polisher.

Here are a few shots of the bike it was in. Now I just put my little YZ250 engine back in this bike, and have it as a little 250 dragster.. Its fun to ride.

Thats the only trike I still have. Sold everything else, besides my 96 shee, and a frame I plan on eventually building another nice shee with.

Oh and one more.. here is when I had all 3 Tri Z models at one time.

Ahh yes, those are the bike I was thinking about (especially that engine). :thumbsup:

Im actually considering into getting one of these kits but since I have the 450 shocks wouldnt I be able to leave then in the stock shock mounts up to being a longer shock? Would atleast eliminate the worrie of the upper bracket. Let me know what you think

???

Hey Chainsaw. I bought that red and white 86 off of you about 3 summers ago. I switched to a banshee a month ago. I had the hardest time selling the the tri-z. I couldnt find anyone to buy it so i practally had to give it away about 4 weeks ago to a guy out here in colorado.

I had it in the show and shine a few months back here is a picture.

post-25321-1179715345_thumb.jpg

Edited by 02buster

Hey Chainsaw. I bought that red and white 86 off of you about 3 summers ago. I switched to a banshee a month ago. I had the hardest time selling the the tri-z. I couldnt find anyone to buy it so i practally had to give it away about 4 weeks ago to a guy out here in colorado.

I had it in the show and shine a few months back here is a picture.

I wish I would have known that it was for sale. I would have bought the hell out of it. :geek:

???

Ok, since you didn't read the thread, I'll summarize. DON'T buy this kit. While its durability may be ok, it WILL increase bump steer. While the added width will improve handling, the high speed stability will be compromised. There is no way around it. The people that said they didn't feel bump steer probably don't know what bump steer really is. It occurs when the tie-rod is out of alignment with the a-arms. The tie-rod steers the wheel as the wheel moves through its range of motion. Its determined by the geometry of the front end, and moving the a-arm mounting points further from the tie-rod ends increases bump steer, period, end of story.

Buy wheel spacers, flip your rims, do anything other than buying this kit.

• 8 months later...
thanks man all i needed reallly want arms anyway but was just curious.

I put the diamond j customs wheels spacers on the rear until I buy an axle. I had them on my YFZ450 for awhile as well. They work great. I wouldn't put wheel spacers on the front of anything that goes over 40mph. I have some wheels that are offset -1.5, so that they stick out 1.5", and that gets rid of wheel spacers. I also wouldn't buy this widening kit, but I would ride someone else's to check it out.

• 2 months later...