my YFZ450 a-arm install

Mullet Man

I just read thru the entire thread. Felt like hours. Nice find. I am curious as to the geometry of the new setup. I'm not a front end geometry wiz but know its important. One test I have heard to check bump steer, tho kinda backyard, is to jump up and down on the front bumper and see if you notice toe in change. On a car you watch to see if the steering wheel moves. But if someone has the alignment tool to check camber and caster that would clinch the deal. Great read and I may try this. How does it feel over severe whoops guys?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i need some +3 arms for a yfz for my banshee and and very wide rear axle. make a nice duner.

+3 on each side? LOL you would probably need some 20 inch+ shocks to compensate

i think the only difference i have come across with YFZ front suspension is the tie rods. i believe they went larger beginning in '07.

For those of you worried about the frame hitting with this setup riding mx, dont worry any longer. Here is a pic of me coming up a few feet short on a 105ft tripple at MXPE in Clayton, NC. The front and rear suspension is bottomed in this pic and you can see I still have room under the front bumper/frame.

Your nuts. How does that new front suspension handle over whoops and rough terrain?

i think the only difference i have come across with YFZ front suspension is the tie rods. i believe they went larger beginning in '07.

The 06' tie rods that i bought had a larger diameter. I believe the change began in 06' along with the other 80 some updates that year.

I'm gonna give this one a shot, thanks much Mullet Man and everyone else that's posted. I'm scouring ebay and all the YFZ and 450R forums I can find for:

Two complete YFZ450 a-arm sets

Two pairs TRX450R front shocks

A pair of YFZ450 spindles (mmm aluminum, hopefully I won't break those heh, I'm on my second set of stock Banshee spindles)

A pair of YFZ450 dual-piston front brake calipers

A TRX450R front brake master cylinder (supposedly an improvement the YFZ guys go for)

The plan is to replace my son's stock Banshee a-arms with YFZ450 a-arms, TRX450R front shocks, and use my old tie rods from my Ricky Stator +2 a-arms (I upgraded to Tusk Honda-style tie rods & ends on mine).

Then on my Banshee, I'll replace my Ricky Stator + 2 a-arms with YFZ450's (mostly for the lighter aluminum uppers), compare stock TRX450R front shocks to my Banshee triple rate Works, and upgrade the entire front brake system with YFZ and 450R stuff. If I like the front shocks, there's a couple mods I can consider; Santo DeRisi claims to get another 2" of travel out of stock TRX450R shocks, and Works has a triple-rate spring kit that I hear makes a big difference. That along with the brake upgrades oughta make the front end a whole lot better...

Finally I'm gonna try to put the stock Banshee a-arms and shocks on my daughter's Blaster (which already has a Banshee axle that puts it at +2). Throw the stock Blaster a-arms and shocks on Ebay, along with my Banshee +2 a-arms and maybe the Works triple rates here...damn I might be able to upgrade the suspension on three quads for under a grand :banana:

I've got a lead on a local dude with a YFZ frontend, anybody else know of anything else available??

BTW hopefully the Banshee hubs, which are already aluminum, will fit the YFZ spindles, from the pics I've seen they look nearly identical and I wouldn't be surprised if they were, might even be the same part number I haven't looked yet. Which makes me wonder...after the front end is done, I'm gonna take a look at the back end. If I can make an '06 or newer stock YFZ450 swingarm fit (assuming I can find a cheap one), I might be able to make some big improvements there too, with the round housing setup and possibly a better linkage...

I'm gonna give this one a shot, thanks much Mullet Man and everyone else that's posted. I'm scouring ebay and all the YFZ and 450R forums I can find for:

Two complete YFZ450 a-arm sets

Two pairs TRX450R front shocks

A pair of YFZ450 spindles (mmm aluminum, hopefully I won't break those heh, I'm on my second set of stock Banshee spindles)

A pair of YFZ450 dual-piston front brake calipers

A TRX450R front brake master cylinder (supposedly an improvement the YFZ guys go for)

The plan is to replace my son's stock Banshee a-arms with YFZ450 a-arms, TRX450R front shocks, and use my old tie rods from my Ricky Stator +2 a-arms (I upgraded to Tusk Honda-style tie rods & ends on mine).

Then on my Banshee, I'll replace my Ricky Stator + 2 a-arms with YFZ450's (mostly for the lighter aluminum uppers), compare stock TRX450R front shocks to my Banshee triple rate Works, and upgrade the entire front brake system with YFZ and 450R stuff. If I like the front shocks, there's a couple mods I can consider; Santo DeRisi claims to get another 2" of travel out of stock TRX450R shocks, and Works has a triple-rate spring kit that I hear makes a big difference. That along with the brake upgrades oughta make the front end a whole lot better...

Finally I'm gonna try to put the stock Banshee a-arms and shocks on my daughter's Blaster (which already has a Banshee axle that puts it at +2). Throw the stock Blaster a-arms and shocks on Ebay, along with my Banshee +2 a-arms and maybe the Works triple rates here...damn I might be able to upgrade the suspension on three quads for under a grand :banana:

I've got a lead on a local dude with a YFZ frontend, anybody else know of anything else available??

BTW hopefully the Banshee hubs, which are already aluminum, will fit the YFZ spindles, from the pics I've seen they look nearly identical and I wouldn't be surprised if they were, might even be the same part number I haven't looked yet. Which makes me wonder...after the front end is done, I'm gonna take a look at the back end. If I can make an '06 or newer stock YFZ450 swingarm fit (assuming I can find a cheap one), I might be able to make some big improvements there too, with the round housing setup and possibly a better linkage...

sounds awesome Ben :thumbsup:

i have been looking at the 450r shocks also... i didnt know about the triple rate spring. do you have a link for that?

the Blaster idea is a good one. let us know how that turns out!

with the spindles and the brakes setup you are planning along with the arms and shocks, it sounds like it will be a light, great performing, economical front end!

please post pics, i might have too look into the brakes and stuff as well now LOL

i have a set of YFZ a-arms that i cut down already. they are ready to bolt on and go. i'm just waiting on the tie rods to get here from NOSS Machine to list it all up for sale (ordered 2 pairs, 1 for me and 1 for the extra set). i dont have shocks for them tho.

MM

Edited by Mullet Man

sounds awesome Ben :thumbsup:

i have been looking at the 450r shocks also... i didnt know about the triple rate spring. do you have a link for that?

the Blaster idea is a good one. let us know how that turns out!

with the spindles and the brakes setup you are planning along with the arms and shocks, it sounds like it will be a light, great performing, economical front end!

please post pics, i might have too look into the brakes and stuff as well now LOL

i have a set of YFZ a-arms that i cut down already. they are ready to bolt on and go. i'm just waiting on the tie rods to get here from NOSS Machine to list it all up for sale (ordered 2 pairs, 1 for me and 1 for the extra set). i dont have shocks for them tho.

MM

I couldn't find anything on Works' site, but here's a link for K&K...I didn't think it cost that much tho:

K&K Works triple rate spring kit

I emailed Derisi about just doing the fronts, can't quite tell from this page what the long travel mod would cost for the fronts:

Derisi conversions

No shit ya got a set?! What are ya plannin' on asking for them, say without the rods??

Hmm well I still haven't heard back from Derisi, but it looks like TRX450R stock front shocks are goin' pretty high on ebay; $150 to $250 on average (the only buy it now is like $275). Looks like Works offers a 450R triple rate LT shock that gives 12" of travel for $519 list. I gotta call those guys and see if I still get 50% off with sponsorship-if so I can get 'em brand new for $260...and have them put my finned rezzies on one set.