Basic woods engine mods

icprey

Hey guys, Another trail rider here....I just bought my shee last week and I got to rip it up a little saturday evening for a few hours. WOW! is all I can say. I did have a piped blaster and this thing is a totally different beast...haha. Its all stock right now except rear stingers and tors removal. But I still love it. Its gonna be a lil while before I really start buying anything expensive for it, but i'm trying to plan ahead. I'm torn right now at choosing between DMC aliens, or PT mids. What do you guys think? Also, do you think it'd be worth it to spend on say the boyesen pro series replacement reeds, or just wait til I can afford an entire cage like the V3's. I had a Boyesen Rad Valve on my blaster, but seems like the V3's are a little better from everyones reviews. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a good chance to pick up some V Force 3s !!

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70521

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a good chance to pick up some V Force 3s !!

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70521

If that link is broken, just do a search of FASTOYS last 35 posts. Pretty much all of them have a link to his VForce3 Reed cage sale. It is a fairly decent price though. Then you could put the "Are you F.A.S.T. enough" catch phrase in your sig too and gain instant notoriety. :beer:

Ahhhh, dont be bitter Odean? Good to see your following behind me cause thats what you do when your NOT F.A.S.T. enough...follow behind. lol

10-2 central time sat. OPen

Ahhhh, dont be bitter Odean? Good to see your following behind me cause thats what you do when your NOT F.A.S.T. enough...follow behind. lol

kinda like the old saying

" the blind leading the blind"

And there's a clear distinction between bitter and annoyed.

and saracism.

• 2 months later...

Well guys I finally got some FMF Gnarly pipes and now I want more power. I'm thinking about going down TWO teeth on the front sproket since I'm running a little bit bigger, and heavier, rear tires. I got some 22x11x9 Maxxis Sur Trak's. LOL

So now I'm thinking about getting the 2-1 carb setup and some LSR +2 arms and some Elka's. Once I get my suspension the way I want it, I'll be looking at getting some more engine work done. Thinking a Noss head w/21cc domes and a woods port from FAST. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow so many replies I couldnt read all of them. I race in the woods and I've been on the stockers up until now. They will run fine as long as they are jetted properly. Here are a list of mods I had with my stock carbs:

DMC Alien pipes

No-Toil Foam filter

Jet kit for the 26's

Boyeson Power Reeds

No lid on the air box

2 degree timing advance

NGK Iridium Plugs (most say they you dont need, but with so much low end I never fouled a plug w/ them)

DynaTek FS Ignition (optional, I fried my stock one)

ITP Holeshot HD (front and rear)

Steering Stabilizer (a must if you dont want broken fingers or hands)

Engine Ice (anything to keep it cooler)

Stock Gearing (front and rear sprockets)

Noss Reed Spacers (helps w/ the low end torque in the tight sections)

Extended thumb throttle lever

:notworthy: Custom Rebuilt Elka Elite Piggies

Rebuilt and revalved stock rear Shock

Most of those are simple bolt on mods that arent too expensive (except the ignition and shocks). The only real problems I ever had were with engine heat, most of which can be cured with a Hi-Flow billet impeller, engine ice, and a cool head. One of the main things you need to do if you ride in the woods alot is keep the filter clean and watch the compression. Any type of air leak will let in dirt and will wreak havoc on your motor!

This year, I've added the 2 into 1 kit, shaved the head .010, advanced timing to +5, 50/50 110/91 octane race fuel (motor wanted to ping some last season so I want to make sure its not going to this year).

• 2 months later...

Wow, i thought i replied to this thread, but guess not. Well i built a XC banshee and raced it one time and went and bought a R450 the next week. Look in my signature for the mods. Some i still havent installed. The biggest problem i had with the banshee in tight woods was that it is unpredictable. On the motocross portion, well lets just say spme times it would point to the sky other times it would nose dive, i relaize it was partly me, but the R450 is much easier to jump and forgiving. In the woods it pissed me off, sometimes the tires would catch and throw me one way or the other, but biggest gripe would be how much more tired i am on the banshee compared to the 450. Honestly, i will never sell my banshee because its fun to ride, but i am way faster on the 450.

damn nation... Micorps..sounds like you need to work on the fitness side of XC..everything the bike gives comes from what the rider wants it to do..I built my banshee for XC and couldn't be more proud of it! the 450s don't have shit on me unless the fact your a BETTER RIDER! Never had my bike say say well i want to nose in, while I was in the air..don't blame the bike for rider error.. I think everyone is caught up in 450 HYPE its like rising gas prices or some shit. Pretty soon the once Affordable sport of motocross will be fazed out by the fact your gonna have to spend $1000 on a topend due to 2 strokes not being made anymore...

Just this past weekend at loretta lynn a guy on a 250r was whoopin everyone on 4 stroke like they were sittin still untl he hit a tree on the last lapand he still finished 5th...4 Strokes are for people who cant handle the Violent teeth chattering power a banshee will deliver its in some ways a expert only bike as for 4 strokes beginners of all ages IMO.....

Josh

• 3 weeks later...
damn nation... Micorps..sounds like you need to work on the fitness side of XC..everything the bike gives comes from what the rider wants it to do..I built my banshee for XC and couldn't be more proud of it! the 450s don't have shit on me unless the fact your a BETTER RIDER! Never had my bike say say well i want to nose in, while I was in the air..don't blame the bike for rider error.. I think everyone is caught up in 450 HYPE its like rising gas prices or some shit. Pretty soon the once Affordable sport of motocross will be fazed out by the fact your gonna have to spend $1000 on a topend due to 2 strokes not being made anymore...

Just this past weekend at loretta lynn a guy on a 250r was whoopin everyone on 4 stroke like they were sittin still untl he hit a tree on the last lapand he still finished 5th...4 Strokes are for people who cant handle the Violent teeth chattering power a banshee will deliver its in some ways a expert only bike as for 4 strokes beginners of all ages IMO.....

Josh

I am not going to even comment on half this other than I own both a 450 and banshee and there is a reason everyone runs a 450, i was against them to until i took the leap and tried one. I am alot faster on a 450. The fitness aspect yes, even though i only workout 5 days a week since i am in the military, it still kicked my butt. Lastly, a 250r is alot different than a banshee and better for woods racing. There was a reason everyone raced the 250r before the 450s and 400s emerged. My neighbor raced a 250r up until the second round this year and placed top 5 every race but now races a KFX 450. He too says the 450s are the way to go. I never said you cant be competitive on a banshee what I am saying is there are better machines out there. Like you said in your last email. This is all "IMO." But until you actually ride with me you may want to slow your roll commenting on my riding abilities. To sum it all up, I have rode a banshee since 1998 and have owned two and just couldnt get comfortable racing it. I can ride it hard all day at the track or in the woods.

Edited by micorps1