Basic woods engine mods

icprey

Dont get me wrong i love to ride my shee in the woods. Ive been where he seems to be in making decisions as have many on this board.A banshee suits me because i love that hit.I just see alot of people making mods that they will proably later regret by this i include myself but live and learn i guess. I mean he may be building a one purpuse woods shee and thats cool and i hope he found my advice usefull. When i say ive been down this road i mean that I have ran many diffrent setups and all of them worked well just some better than others in there own situation.I ended up with a 4mill cub as my current setup and it suits me well but along the way ive piled up enough parts to build a couple of motors sorry about ranting on.Ive got a set of cylinders that i used to run that ran extremly well that i would be glad to mic and give yall the port timings and such just pm me if i can help.

Cool deal, I have seen a good amount of people do a whole bunch of wods mods, and then decide to build a top end bike instead. I don;t have anywhere to open my shee up legally, and no dunes in NJ, so I don;t mind building a woods bike.

Ever ran a single carb setup? If so, what did you think of it, I'm still trying to get opinions before I dump the loot on one, and seeing how this thread is about woods mods, I'm sure the starter won't mind me asking.

Happy riding,

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool deal, I have seen a good amount of people do a whole bunch of wods mods, and then decide to build a top end bike instead. I don;t have anywhere to open my shee up legally, and no dunes in NJ, so I don;t mind building a woods bike.

Ever ran a single carb setup? If so, what did you think of it, I'm still trying to get opinions before I dump the loot on one, and seeing how this thread is about woods mods, I'm sure the starter won't mind me asking.

Happy riding,

No ive never ran a single, The biggest advantage i seen to it is easy tuning and if you stuick to trails and no racing it might be worth tring. I would not give what trinity wants for them but you can usually pick a used one up reasonable or even set up your own on the other hand the stk. carbs work pretty well on the bottom and are very easy to tune. I went from the stockers to 34pjs and well lets say the pjs are a bit tricker Im thinking of tring out some lectrons but not sure yet. The pjs run good so i may just leave them on.

Hey guys ask away. Any information added to this post is valuable for evereyone involved. It is not like I didn't read others post before writing this one up. It just seemed like ther were not too many posts but tons of guys in those posts wanting answers.

I think we all know that these are not and never were the ULTIMATE woods machine but for many reasons many of us try and do our best with them. Number one for me is the amount of used parts around. I mean there is absolutely TONS of stuff around for these machines(unlike other great two-stroke wood quads quadzilla,tecate-4 and available but much too pricey 250R's). In 20 minutes I can find any part I need locally and to me that is reassuring. It is two-stroke which gives it a unique flavor and hell I just love the look. My trails are eastern rocky,grasstrack or muddy. Not the best machine, but I'm not looking to win a GNCC championship, just go out and have some fun and try and make the machine work better in those situations.

Come winter the trail system here is huge. I can leave from my door and pretty much go out for a full day and never really hit the same trail. Another reason I want pump gas use. These are through the woods and in the middle of farmers fields so 6th wide open if I want, but I tend to prefer corner to corner point and shoot trails (keeps you warmer by moving around more) even in winter so I've decided to focus the machine that way. Always my preference even with sleds, and if i want top speed I pull it out. Whatever floats your boat, right.

So I've decided to stay with stk carbs, better compresion, stk porting for now and maybe go with the timing advance. I'll even probably run the stock(gulp) pipes for now, although I do have t-5's hanging around. I'll do some testing with these later on.

As previously mentioned I was into the rebuilding process after a complete frame repaint but fell immediately into a problem. The frame is a 1988 converted to upper a-arms. However the guy who welded it did it too tight to fit the end covers of the arms so after all that painting I'm going to reweld it slightly wider to fit the proper parts and hope everything comes out well. I took measurements off another frame last night.

just because a engine is ported and polished doesnt mean it wil lbe more "pipey"

in fact if its done correctly yo u will have more torque and a much wider powerband for mx or woods

porting can be taylored to suit a given target power delivery ..theres more than one way to skin a cat

I fully agree with the porting statement and will in time look into a "woods" porting. However finances and time dictate that it will have to wait.

Off topic I will not be using the frame I spent a week prepping. I did reweld the mount last night but am not at all satisfied with the finished result, so I have another frame I am starting over with. Let's see if I can get this done before the snow hits!

I'm scouring E-bay and here for a reasonable head and think I like the NOSS because of the fact you don't need to change studs, but there is not much around cheaper than new with the right domes, so I may have the stock head milled instead.

I have a utility ATV....my son has a 660 Raptor. One ride on the Raptor and I decided the utility was up for sale. I'm old enough to remember when ALL off road bikes (yes, before the 3 wheeled Hondas) were 2 stroke. I remember riding them and enjoying the hit. I also rode the 3 cylinder Kaw 2 stroke road bikes. NO LOW END..but when they hit the powerband, you were on the license plate.

Anyway....I want a Banshee. I've been doing a lot of research and feel that with the right combination of parts, I can still ride in the woods. I'm not a rock crawling, mud bogging rider, I just like trail riding. Our state park has LOTS of sand and dirt open areas and lots of semi-rocky/soft and hard packed dirt trails with moderate hills. Anyone else have experience in setting up a banshee for conditions like this?

Thanks.

Anyway....I want a Banshee. I've been doing a lot of research and feel that with the right combination of parts, I can still ride in the woods. I'm not a rock crawling, mud bogging rider, I just like trail riding. Our state park has LOTS of sand and dirt open areas and lots of semi-rocky/soft and hard packed dirt trails with moderate hills. Anyone else have experience in setting up a banshee for conditions like this?

Thanks.

I purchased a Banshee used. Live in Louisiana and only ride trails. Mud and sand. We also go to Wolf-Pen in Arkansas several times a year (taking the Shee for the first time this spring). Banshee already had cool head and PC pipes with stock carbs, and the K&N filter kit with no lid on the air box, when purchased. I don't think it has any port work (haven't had to open'er up yet, so no idea what is in the motor). I'm guessing around 20-21cc domes on the cool head, because it runs good on (Exxon Supreme) pump gas. I put new Kenda 21" tires up front and Kenda Bear Claw 22" on the rear. The larger tires gave much better ground clearance, especialy riding rutted 4x4 trails. I have no problem riding slow in first gear with the wife and kids. Geared 14/41 now. Next step will be new chain and sprockets with 13/41 gearing. (Need to be able to go just a little slower when following wife.)

With this combo, I can run pump gas. The trails we ride, I rarely get to 4th gear unless just cruising. It has more power than traction. Off the corners now, I slide my weight back and don't gass it all at once, in order to get better traction/acceleration. In 1st-3rd if I stab the throttle all at once, it just spins.

Anyway, based on my limited experience with this combination, for trail riding, I would keep the stock carbs, go with pipes and jetting. Then I would put some money in the suspension before I worried about more power. (I got lucky, mine already had +2/+1 A-arms, +4 axle, TCS shocks and a steering damper, when I got it.)

Thanks for the input. I'm sure I can set up a banshee as you did, given the type of trails at our state park. I figure configuring a banshee for trails is a challenge as well as having an atv with the Hp to have fun out in the sand flats.

Now I just got to find one for the right $$.

i am basically in the same type of terrain, right now my motor is being rebuilt by jeff at fast. i talked to him about a what a good set up would be. upping your compression will help bottom end a little running an adv timing plate will help bottom a little, having him do woods port help bottom end alot. reeds will help some too. you can do a little and get alittle or you can do alot and get alot.

you can do it a little at a time, or start saving $$$$$$$$ and do it all as one big upgrade, i figure it was better to let a professional, whose been there done that put a package together. than me pick and choose what i think will work and find out after i drain the piggy bank that the stuff i put together dont quite jive with each other. you can bet when i get my motor back from jeff the thing will haul balls. :beer:

Edited by JET 99

Keep this thread flowing with info. Real life experiences with different components and where you saw good gains are appreciated by everyone. Don't forget to mention the bad with the good so others can avoid disapointment.

Update on my status: Had to go with new frame, front end is all put back together(brakes took forever to set-up) but I'm awaiting some parts on b/o.

Keep this thread flowing with info. Real life experiences with different components and where you saw good gains are appreciated by everyone. Don't forget to mention the bad with the good so others can avoid disapointment.

Update on my status: Had to go with new frame, front end is all put back together(brakes took forever to set-up) but I'm awaiting some parts on b/o.

Know it's not an engine mod, but I put on the dual piston YFZ calipers on my 02 before I went and rolled it, and they seemed to help the weak stock brake setup a lot. They bolt right up, no mods nessiscary. I picked mine up for $50 shipped with new brake pads on Planet Sand, and they only go for a couple bucks more on e-bay. Just a though.

when you are putting new brake lines on 1.take cap or cover off. 2. hook your lines up to the to the resevoir. 3. fill it and let gravity start working. 4. start putting your pads and caliper assy back on( both sides). in the middle of doing that check your resevoir(fill if needed). 5. once calipers back on should see some fluid coming out of lines.

6. hook lines up to calipers.

7. crack open bleeder valve.

8. squeeze or push brake lever(do not let off).

9. tighten bleeder valve.

10. release lever.

repeat process on one side until all air has quit spitting out bleeder valve. plan on using alot off brake fluid!!!! it dosent hurt to flush the system. then switch over to other caliper.

remember to keep an eye on the resevior dont let it run low your you just screwed yourself.

hope that helps next time yor doing brakes

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Just ran across this thread, cool to see people interested in setting Banshee's up for trail. I was anti-Banshee for basically my entire riding life because I life in Western Mass and ride in the Berkshires. Basically, if it isn't mud - it's granite. Not Banshee territory. About 2 years ago I rode my buddys, bought one a week after and will NEVER get rid of it now. Love that quad, nothing else like it. I get a sence of satisfaction getting that beast through a trail that my friends on the all mighty 450's have trouble with. Then we hit the dirt roads and I roost the shit out of them when I blow their doors off. You can definitely set these things up for tight crappy trails. The mods in my sig work very well together. Next spring I'll dump the T-5's for some PT Mids, but other that that I love the set up. T-5's are great, but just want to try to smooth out that hit a little more. Plus, you can really do any of the mods one at a time, other that the trail port it's all simple bolt on stuff. Now I just need time to ride the friggin thing... :banghead:

I was surprised that only one guy (that I noticed anyway) mentioned suspension for a trail set up topic, those stockers are pretty bad. A descent suspension set up makes a huge difference. It can get pricey so suppose that's a good reason it's been back-burner'd lol.

Just ran across this thread, cool to see people interested in setting Banshee's up for trail.

Ahh, another New Englander, I felt the same way too, I always rode 4 strokes for trails, started out with a Mojave, then went to a raptor 660. Banshees are soooo cheap comparitavely to other bikes in the northeast, and they are sooo easy to find parts for, I decided to give them a shot, a week later I gave my raprotr to my brother, and have been beatin on the banshee ever since. I just ordered some PT mids, had to send them off to powdercoat though(wouldnt shell out the extra $$$ for chrome).

Wanted to ask you if you noticed a big difference with the Trinity 2 into 1? I have been tempted to do that setup for a while, but have been hesitant. I have heard mixed reviews about them, some poeple said it actually made the bike slower. In theory, I'm not sure how it would work, and it took me a long time to learn how to setup 2 carbs, but I finally got the hang of it, so the tuning issue wouldnt really bother me.

Also, anybody here running a -1 or -2 swinger for trails? Was thinking about doing oneof those too on my 01 build, but was a little leary. Does it make it into a wheelie machine? Also, do you have to revalve the back shock? How is the improved traction?

hey Liftd...yeah, another new englander. Not many on this site lol!

I love my 2:1 carb, but I'm not a good guy to give you a review - I added the head, new top end and mild porting, reeds and +4 timing all at the same time as the 2:1. Needles to say, it's substantially better. Wish I added it all separately so see how each did, but I don't always have as much time as I wish so kinda gotta do it all at once or it will never get done! I only had the stockers with the pipes on it before that so not a fair comparison. I LOVE the way this thing runs on the trails now though. I still like the 4 strokes, and I can't tell ya it has 4 stroke low end, but I can tell you that when one of the people in my group gets stuck, it's seldomly me. This thing gets it done on the trails. Not that I have an expensive set up by any means, but if I was looking for bang for the buck, I'd bore the stockers to 28 and use them and pocket the $500. Don't get me wrong - love the single intake, but a couple 28's are supposed to be pretty good too. If you have $500 laying around, it really is a nice set up for the woods. I don't mind screwing with 2 carbs, but I'll tell ya 1 is really nice. I love how people say Banshees run like shit, yet when we ride I'm NEVER the broken one! My buddy and his rock solid 400 ex has to crank the shit out of that thing to start. Two kicks cold, one hot and I'm off...not sounding like lawnmower lol...

I've heard nothing but good about the -1 rears for MX or trails, it's on my list for spring. Doubt I'll be out any more this year...kinda expect snow any day now. Love winter, but sure does sucks for riding.