Basic woods engine mods

icprey

hey Liftd...yeah, another new englander. Not many on this site lol!

Thanks for the info man! I here ya on not having enough time. I plan on doing an MX/woods port on my next re-build. I hate tearing the top end apart if I don't have to. Sounds like a good setup, I was thinking about doing the -1 swinger too, you can have the stocker cut down, or you can buy a cut stocker pretty cheap on e-bay. I have +2 LSRs, and Works shocks for my 01 that I'm building, also have a +2 axle on order. I'm doing just the opposite as you, suspension first, and then the engine. I'm a little worried about running a wide suspension like the one I have here, but the trails I do arent too too tight. Not sure, I have been itchin to try the 2 into 1, but the price has kept me away. I'll get around to it one of these days, if I didn't have $50 worth of Mikuni jets sittin' here it would be a little easier too. I don't have a problem keeping up with 400exs or yfzsin the trails, and I usually run just as reliable, but the handling isnt all there on the banshee. I get pretty sore after a days ride. A little more low end grunt wouldnt be bad either for those tricky tricky hillclimbs(still getting over my roll from last month).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm doing just the opposite as you, suspension first, and then the engine.

ahhhh - you mean you're smart and are doing it the right way! Wish I did the suspension first, needed a top end and kinda just got out of control from there. Next spring will be the chassis...stock is pretty bad but once you get some mods that give a little more grunt it goes from pretty bad to dangerous. Plus my out of shape a$$ needs all the help it can get! Good luck with it :beer:

Edited by Flip73

ahhhh - you mean you're smart and are doing it the right way! Wish I did the suspension first, needed a top end and kinda just got out of control from there.

If I needed a top end, I woulda went that route too, much less work to ahve evrything apart at the same time. Everyone know the go fast mods are always more fun too!

Hey guys here in Canada just above Newport, VT.

Been working on the machine about 4 nights a week from 10pm-2am but have had alot of setbacks. 2 steps forward one step back all the time. Picking and choosing the best parts from two machines in boxes. Working at my country place so a very average working environment and not my full selection of tools. At the very least I'm learning this thing in/out pretty good.

Put a stock head milled ??? on an unknown long block(stock bore at least) and will try to start it tonight or tomorrow to see if it runs and then I will replace everything permanent(I'll also check compression to see gas issues, which of course is at home).

Once I run it for a bit I'll sart putting together the intake, port,pipe and head package I really want. One spare engine I have is supposedly ported but I found major piston damage when I stole its head. I'll post a pic later and maybe someone can help me determine what kind of porting has been done.

Really trying to figure out where to route all the wires and hoses because there is quite a few of them and I never saw an unmolested machine to see factory routing.

Good luck in everyones projects.

Hey guys, Another trail rider here....I just bought my shee last week and I got to rip it up a little saturday evening for a few hours. WOW! is all I can say. I did have a piped blaster and this thing is a totally different beast...haha. Its all stock right now except rear stingers and tors removal. But I still love it. Its gonna be a lil while before I really start buying anything expensive for it, but i'm trying to plan ahead. I'm torn right now at choosing between DMC aliens, or PT mids. What do you guys think? Also, do you think it'd be worth it to spend on say the boyesen pro series replacement reeds, or just wait til I can afford an entire cage like the V3's. I had a Boyesen Rad Valve on my blaster, but seems like the V3's are a little better from everyones reviews. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have the DMC 916 exhaust and the midrange hits harder then Mike Tyson. I never had the chance to try out the PT pipes. They definately are a strange looking pipe. They're also $100 more then mine so I hope they're good. Also the DMC are stainless. My pipes are 3 years old and are not rusting.

Soooo many people were ranting and raving about the PT mids, so I bought a set, havent had the chance to try them out yet, they are going on my 2001 when I build it ths winter. I've always ran FMFs, if your on a budget, you qill be able to find them a lot cheaper, especially used, then any other pipe. They have amazing low and mid range, but lack on the top end. I've never ridden anything with a hard low end hit then FMFs, and I loved the 2 sets I had for trail riding. The cheapest PT mids I found new here 599 with silencers, and bare metal, I also paid an extra 80 to have them PCed. The PC is cheaper then the chrome, and I think it hold up better, here's a pic of my PT mid headers:

ec35c761.jpg

Like I said, I havent had a chance to run them yet, but I have heard tons of good stuf about them. I might even throw them on my 02 for a few winter runs just to se how they work out. How you liking the shee so far? Little bit faster then the blaster huh?

Oh, I love my shee! haha I've only got to ride it a little bit, but i'm in love. It almost scares me sometimes cuz i'm not used to the power...haha. I'm really likin' the reviews i've been reading about the PT mids, so i'll probably end up going with them even if they are a little more. You need to swap them with your gnarlies and give me a good comparison review before I buy a set :wink: ...haha. My cousin has got the sst's on his shee and they hit good, just later than what could really be desired for trail riding, although he never has any real complaints and manages just fine. But then again, he's never ridin' any other pipes either. I'm also possibly thinking about going with the DMC aliens too(I just like the twin silencers). I've heard they are pretty good all around pipe. It'll be a few months before I get ready to buy them though, I've got a V8 project im trying to get ready to drop in my truck :evil: haha. But anyways, thanks for the input. :beer:

Cool, I have SSTs on my 02, and I wasn't really impressed, they hit a little too high for an FMF pipe, and don't seem to make that much power when they hit. I have a set of powdercoated FMFs, I'll probably put them on my 02 and save the PT mids for my winter build. SO I probably won't have a good comparison until next spring. I saw your truck in the pic thread. Nice lookin, I used to have a '91 Sierra 2500 2wd. It had the bigger v8 in it, think it was like a 5.7 or so. Got rid of it a while ago, but it was a nice truck, no complaints, wish my Ford ran that nice.

Cool, I have SSTs on my 02, and I wasn't really impressed, they hit a little too high for an FMF pipe, and don't seem to make that much power when they hit. I have a set of powdercoated FMFs, I'll probably put them on my 02 and save the PT mids for my winter build. SO I probably won't have a good comparison until next spring. I saw your truck in the pic thread. Nice lookin, I used to have a '91 Sierra 2500 2wd. It had the bigger v8 in it, think it was like a 5.7 or so. Got rid of it a while ago, but it was a nice truck, no complaints, wish my Ford ran that nice.

Sweet, Yeah...Mines just got the 4.3 in it right now. But i'm fixin' to drop a 350(5.7) in it. I just bought the motor a week or so ago and saving up to have it rebuilt and do a few mods to it. :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

at sea level, can one run 4 degrees advanced timing AND 21cc domes on 93 pump gas or is this cutting it too close for comfort?

For the first time since I got her, I rode with several other Banshees. One guy had a 21cc Noss, +4 timing, a lightened flywheel and T6's. He ran 93 octane and was very happy with his machine ('05).

I also ride mostly tight trails and the swamps and I wouldn't sell my Shee. My first performance updrades were shocks and exhaust. I plan on making it a better woods machine too, and like ever1 mentioned parts and knowledge are plentiful. I have a ball riding in these conditions! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Figure I owe an update on this thread. For approx. the last month I have been fighting with a (now) intermitent electrical problem. After the rebuild I could not get spark and tried plugging in alternate components I have as spares(many) but still no dice. The only real unknown was the motor and stator because I had never run those components but yes to all the others. I have absolutely zero electrical knowledge so I waited for my bro to visit. While doing lots of tests one evening and everything appearing to be in order we suddenly got spark. Both of us couldn't really figure out how, but since I had just reinstalled the coil wire I assumed I was probably not clipped on well and just sitting with the little clear rubber cover on the coil not the actual metal in there. At that moment he had been fiddling elsewhere.

Things were good, the next night(sunday) i put the machine together well enough to try and fire and sure enough 5 kicks later she fired. Next morning same thing, had her running and revving a good ten minutes(no idle).

Came back a week later and fired again, next night fired again but died out immediately because choke went in, and then I tried kicking and kicking, assumed plugs had fouled and changed them only to realize no more spark. Obviusly problem was not the plug previously mentioned and I can only assume a short or more likely an intermitent stator issue. You'll read why. I have even taken another harness and plugged in extra essentials(cdi,coil,regulator...) piggyback to the installed system to test and still no spark. I think I am going to have to look at the stator on the engine(broken keyway that allows it to catch at times??).

God news: On one of my spare parts engines I got in this package I found a brand new adjustable timing plate and pick-up coils from ricky stator I believe. That should help my woods package.

The bike has been completely rebuilt from bare frame, has no cracks, new paint, everything greased and nice and tight, new parts or the best used ones I had a choice of and I can't get her to run. All I had left was the plastics when it last ran, now I had to take even more parts off to diagnose. I sit and bounce on her but she won't run for me. It is now freezing in the shed and my brain is too tired to try and figure this out. I've been working 4-5 nights a week(often untill 1-2 am) for 2 months at least on this and I have to get my sled ready. I'm going to wait until my brother comes back for x-mas and we'll work at my house in a well lit heated garage and get this thing figured out.

I will let you guys know when we figure this thing out and also post some pics.