Basic woods engine mods

icprey

From what I have read here is what I will probably go with

Woods pipes

Head to 21cc chambers

slight advance on ignition(+4)

I'd like to remain with the stock 26mm carbs for a bit, then look at a woods port maybe 2 in 1 stuff. I am looking for mild mods, decent reliability and reasonable expenses. I also must remain with 91 octane fuel. Do you see anything that I am absolutely missing that ought to be done first(Airbox has filter adapter already).

Maybe suggest an order to do these things in.

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the replies guys.

13-42 gearing combo is ordered. I missed out on ebay PT mids the other day and if I am stuck buying new I will definitely go with the gnarlies.

It's a new machine to me and I put a flashlight into the port last night and saw something funny in the head. Assumed it was broken ring damage but it looks like the head was porous or something little cavities everywhere. So used head is pretty easy to find at about $40-50 around here, but I'm wondering if this isn't the time to upgrade.

I am surprised to hear hold off on head mod. If I go stock head how much should I have removed to increase compression.

I've looked into the 2-1 intakes system but they are expensive and all the used ones still sell quite expensive.

Keep suggestions coming. What cc is the stock dome head. I think I might have read this morning that it is 21cc anyways so I have to go to 20cc I imagine.

wood porting for sure will help and dont be afraid to put a 4 degree advance in my opinion.....21cc will help a lot thats for sure.......but a .030'' shaved on stock head can be a good band-aid....and after all this mod done...your clutch gonna start to slip soon! to prevent that it can be a good idea to invest 15$ for stiffer barnett clutch spring and another 20 for easy clutch clutch lever....

I've looked into the 2-1 intakes system but they are expensive and all the used ones still sell quite expensive.

I think the 2 into 1 systems tend to be amore of a preference rather then a nessity for trails. I have heard a lot of reviews that said stock duals were quicker, and pulled a lot more. A few people here ran them and didn't like them, others swear by them. I have no experince with them, and I'd love to try one, but you are correct, the price is up there. I'd wait on a 2 into 1 setup for a while IMO.

BansheePQ: Merci pour ton aide et tes opinions!

Liftd: I agree I think it is more a desire to feel the results of the 2/1 system more than the actual benefits per dollar. We should all pitch in buy one together and everybody gets to try it to see if we really like it.

Anyway I'm still wondering what stock cc is for the head. If I go the 21cc route how much am I going down over stock. And were is the limit for 91 octane gas.

I have barnetts in the clutch and was going to pull them out because it was just much too hard on my hand on my test run(ran it during purchase up and down a field and took it apart immediately once home to go thru everything...........it was put together by a way bigger moron than myself, it's not even funny to see some of the butchering that went on during this other guys "rebuild"), so I think the easy clutch is a good idea.

I just have to watch out because money is far easier to spend than earn and I've already ordered/ordering quite a bit. The little things add up fast.

I believe the stock head is 22cc, someone correct me if I'm wrong. As far as using pump gas, you should be fine with 21cc heads, +4 timing. You should compression test it just to be sure, if you search around you will find the compression limit for pump gas, I can't remember it off the top of my head. Stock is 125PSI, I think you can go up to 170 or so with pump gas, I don't remember though.

I believe the stock head is 22cc, someone correct me if I'm wrong. As far as using pump gas, you should be fine with 21cc heads, +4 timing. You should compression test it just to be sure, if you search around you will find the compression limit for pump gas, I can't remember it off the top of my head. Stock is 125PSI, I think you can go up to 170 or so with pump gas, I don't remember though.

You can go around 150psi on 93octane safely. If you really want lowend grunt as much as a banshee can have anyway stick with the stk carbs they peforme pretty well for that type of power and are easy enough to tune,But you can gain more lowend and roll on power from rasing the compression than most any other mod out there.The best results ive experinced were in the 185-190psi range on stk cylinders, however if you go that high you will have to run around 110 octane but if you can get it locally its a small price to pay for the results you will get.My experince with porting is the mre you do over a clean up the more pipey it will get the stk porting will produce plenty of power in the woods.Ive never gave this kind of advice on a banshee because in my mind your kind of going backwards, what i mean is there are much better suited quads out there for the trails like the 450s but hey whatever makes you happy.But anyway the higher compression will bring the lowend to life and you should be able to run a little better pipe than a knarly to keep from getting smoked by every 4poke out there.You should beable to run abou 21cc on pump and18s or 19s will put you in the 180-200 range.

Ive never gave this kind of advice on a banshee because in my mind your kind of going backwards, what i mean is there are much better suited quads out there for the trails like the 450s but hey whatever makes you happy.

:confused: I wouldnt really say that. All of you other advice seems to be sound at least. I would think it's more of a preference then one really being better or worse. Banshees definately hold their own on trails. I've spanked 4 storkes, and been spanked by them, but I've definately held my own in most of the shit I've come across. It's kind of narow minded to think of the banshee only as atop end drag bike, I always loved riding 2 strokes in trails, just something about it that egts me, 4 strokes were always kind of boring to me.

:confused: I wouldnt really say that. All of you other advice seems to be sound at least. I would think it's more of a preference then one really being better or worse. Banshees definately hold their own on trails. I've spanked 4 storkes, and been spanked by them, but I've definately held my own in most of the shit I've come across. It's kind of narow minded to think of the banshee only as atop end drag bike, I always loved riding 2 strokes in trails, just something about it that egts me, 4 strokes were always kind of boring to me.

Dont get me wrong i love to ride my shee in the woods. Ive been where he seems to be in making decisions as have many on this board.A banshee suits me because i love that hit.I just see alot of people making mods that they will proably later regret by this i include myself but live and learn i guess. I mean he may be building a one purpuse woods shee and thats cool and i hope he found my advice usefull. When i say ive been down this road i mean that I have ran many diffrent setups and all of them worked well just some better than others in there own situation.I ended up with a 4mill cub as my current setup and it suits me well but along the way ive piled up enough parts to build a couple of motors sorry about ranting on.Ive got a set of cylinders that i used to run that ran extremly well that i would be glad to mic and give yall the port timings and such just pm me if i can help.