PORTING QUESTIONS

DCBLACK

OBVIOUSLY I AM NEW TO THE FORUMS BUT WOULD LIKE TO ASK SOME INTERESTING QUESTIONS ABOUT PORTING. DO ANY OF YOUR PORT JOBS HAVE THE TRANSFERS OPENED UP AT THE TOPS OF THEM INTO THE CYLINDER? ALSO THINKING OF PUTTING IN FINGER PORTS AND OPENING UP THE TRANSFER PORTS DOWN AT THE BLOCK AND MATCHING THOSE TO THE JUGS. HOW MUCH CAN I DO AND STILL RETAIN A SMOOTH POWER CURVE AND SOME DECENT BOTTOM END. I DON'T JUST WANT TO DROP IT OFF AND HAVE A MACHINE SHOP PORT IT. I WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHICH CHANGES WILL DO WHAT. I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT CHARTING YOUR PORT JOB AND MATCHING THE TRANSFERS ACCROSS FROM EACH OTHER BUT THERE IS NO GOOD WAY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GONNA GET FROM CERTAIN CHANGES OTHER THAN EXPERIENCE. ONCE YOU GO TOO FAR WITH IT THERE IS NO GETTING YOUR LOW END BACK. ANYWAYS THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK AND IF YOU CAN JUST TELL ME YOUR EXPERIENCE ALONG WITH PICTURES THAT WOULD HELP A BUNCH. THE MORE INFO THE BETTER.

Sorry doesn't bother me but if it makes one person happy that isn't really going to help me.  THEN I WON'T USE ALL CAPS.

THANKS A BUNCH..............NOT

324770[/snapback]

Dude, first, all caps is the equivelent to YELLING! so relax and turn off the caps lock.

Second, there is a ton of info here and more knowledge about Banshee Performance than any place on the web.

Third, the people that post on a regular basis, the ones you want to help you, watch out for eachother. So don't piss them off.

RJV

If it matters to everybody that I don't do all caps I can handle that but being annoyed by it seems a little knit picky. The reason I do because when I am at work the dealership software is in all caps. It is a pain in the ass to change all the time when I am switching from program to program trying to post up. I'm not trying to be an asshole I just wouldn't get all mad over something small. I understand the concept of yelling but there would be a whole lot of cuss words in that if I was yelling :D:D I am assuming that yes some people on here do have the info I am looking for, yes I have searched and no there isn't a lot of info for the specific question that I am asking. In fact I expected this answer "Send it off to this guy or that shop and spend 400 - 700 dollars for a port job that isn't exactly what I want.

Sorry if I annoyed you all.

I figure that you won't be telling me the information that I need anyway. If you know the answer to the question then you probably do porting professionally and wouldn't want to give out these answers to the do it yourselfer and I will end up learning by trial and error just like I usually do.

Thanks if you help I have made my peace.

DCBLACk

I don't think that is really a big deal that you used "caps" in your post. I know you didn't mean to intentionaly offend anyone, and it is a commom courtesy in the states not to use caps. For someone just to post and complain about your "caps " and then offer no answer & help or guidance to your question I feel was intentional rude and direspectful, you were no doubt less wrong than that person.

I sometimes come on here to see if there is any usable information, this site is limited to members that are over-acheivers in motor knowledge and performance.Its very limited to do it your-self type of members and it does noe surprize me that any knowledge is not shared with you.This site is an avid supporter of the "builder" not the do it yourself crowd.

Pay your $10.00 for two years and go to www.macdizzy.com. That is where the motor guru's and god's hang out and their speacialty is to reveiw and share two cycle performance knowledge and engine building.They hold back no secrets and are the website inventors of the "do it yourself" mods derived around quads.

Most odten those who are not willing to share knowedge with you are generally insecure about their own understanding of their knowedge and are simply reluctant to share in fear that they may be judged wrong or corrected

Edited by kartracer92

What a piece of responses. When raising your transfers be sure to keep them level and even/same height. I'm not sure what you mean by finger ports but there is little room to add those if you're thinking around the ring end land area. Evening up the bottom of the sleeves is not a bad idea but it does weaken the cylinder around the intake side where the most piston stress is. PM me with your e-mail addy and I'll get you some pics next week.

Its very limited to do it your-self type of members and it does noe surprize me that any knowledge is not shared with you.This site is an avid supporter of the "builder" not the do it yourself crowd.

Let me define your statement a little better. Most people here use builders "only" for specialty work (porting, honing,rebore, flywheel lightening, etc..) and not general wrenching, welding, tuning and such. So in this aspect, yes we support the builder as a whole for specialty work. Is this the best decision and recommendation to anyone inquiring about these things? Absolutely!!! We know that the home mechanic cannot duplicate what these guys do for a living. Experience is everything and most of us take great pride in our quads and only recommend what we feel is best.

What's amazing about this site is, when a person posts a question and how they word that question, we can usually tell if you need to be trying something yourself or not. :lol:

DCBlack, There used to be several builders that came on here all the time and gave advice. I see them on Planet Sand and other sites.

If you want to read up on all of this get two books:

1. TWO-STROK performance tuning By A. Graham Bell

2. Motorcycle Tuning TWO STEOKE By John Robinson

Thanks for the help, those of you who did and I disagree with the statement that the home mechanic cannot expect to get the results of a professional. Everyone has to start somewhere and there is not any way to know what you are getting or could have if you don't do the research, read the books and do the necessary measuring and math. Those professionals do a nice job but they too had to start somewhere. I know that there is a wealth of information to be had on the internet and I am the type of person that would want learn how rather than pay someone else and not understand why my bike does or doesn't do certain things.

Thanks for the help, those of you who did and I disagree with the statement that the home mechanic cannot expect to get the results of a professional.  Everyone has to start somewhere and there is not any way to know what you are getting or could have if you don't do the research, read the books and do the necessary measuring and math.  Those professionals do a nice job but they too had to start somewhere.  I know that there is a wealth of information to be had on the internet and I am the type of person that would want learn how rather than pay someone else and not understand why my bike does or doesn't do certain things.

327503[/snapback]

There's a lot more to it than just reading about how to do something. It would also help to work with an engine builder under his wing for several months, purchase the several thousands of dollars of equipment they use, then you may be able to get the results of a professional. But then again, could we really call you a home mechanic after such training? It's your call, it's your motor. I persoanlly would only attempt it after having done the above mentioned beforehand. If you think you can get professional results the first time, have at it. Just know, the risk is that this can cost you way more than a professional builder.

Thanks for the help, those of you who did and I disagree with the statement that the home mechanic cannot expect to get the results of a professional.  Everyone has to start somewhere and there is not any way to know what you are getting or could have if you don't do the research, read the books and do the necessary measuring and math.  Those professionals do a nice job but they too had to start somewhere.  I know that there is a wealth of information to be had on the internet and I am the type of person that would want learn how rather than pay someone else and not understand why my bike does or doesn't do certain things.

327503[/snapback]

SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING ON, GET TO CUTTING....Thats how everyone else figured it out. We jumped on the net, read a few post, and went to hacking away....CC specialty will sell you all the stuff you need to do the job properly for 1500bucks....what a spode licker!!! Do what the dude above said and buy the books, they will tell you what you need to know and you will understand a lot better than getting second hand information from some choad on the web. :cheers: