PORTING QUESTIONS

DCBLACK

I have read and also taken input from some "spoads" as you call them ....Whatever, I'm gonna tear into it tomorrow morning and yes I will be doing all the port work myself.  I'm going to town.  You all can say what you want.  I'll report back after it is done then you can badger me or feel stupid when you realize that it is actually a good job.  I have always been able to figure these types of things out.  From building RC cars to big stereos in cars to extreme rockcrawling suspensions.  I haven't failed yet and I am much more proud of something I did rather than payed for.  Not only that but they have all performed extremely well at a fraction of the cost of what others have paid for something similar.

327922[/snapback]

Do us a favor... take your bike to a dyno and do a before and after. Take lots of pictures of your port work after your done. We all want to see your abilities.

Don't let these people stop you, the only way to learn is to do it. There are a few things you will need. Get a degree wheel, and check out CC Specalties web site. They have the only 90 degree die grinder that is worth a toot. Also check out McDizzy for mapping a cylinder. Go wider befor you take the ports up. Good luck

Most important thing not to forget is to do some flow bench testing. You need to check your work during and after your porting. . The banshee is a 2 cylinder and both cylinders need to be as close to identical as possible or >=95% efficiency.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing it, you just need to be aware of the reality of what's actually involved to do it correctly.

SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING ON, GET TO CUTTING....Thats how everyone else figured it out.  We jumped on the net, read a few post, and went to hacking away....CC specialty will sell you all the stuff you need to do the job properly for 1500bucks....what a spode licker!!! Do what the dude above said and buy the books, they will tell you what you need to know and you will understand a lot better than getting second hand information from some choad on the web.    :cheers:

327730[/snapback]

hahahahahhahahahaha

Damn, tough crowd.

328440[/snapback]

Agreed. Anyway for the guy that said run it against a professional port job. I already did before I did any of my latest mods on my porting and I was right with him beat him twice and he beat me twice and that was just with polishing and matching the exhaust and cleaning up the intake and transfers. Just want a little more so I went down on my domes lightened the flywheel and opened up the exhaust port a little. Course now it doesn't have any spark. If you wanna help check out my other post. It has all the info. This site is a lot of fun. Everyone has a very strong opinion and it is good for input if you don't take it personally. I'll let you know how it runs when it does. If it runs like shit I'll just throw a big bore on it......

I would recommend a porting template for DIY porting. If I remember the name correctly, a lot of people on the HQ have had good results with the race logic stage II or III port templaltes, something like that. If you search you'll find it.