used ATF in the cases last weekend

grounded

I use type F also, and have for many years. Mercon Dextron has addatives in it that will after time make your clutch slip, dont use Dextron. Chevrolet engineered it that way to lighten the shift on thier transmissions. If you rebuild a GM tranny (older stuff) and switch it ti type F, it will shift alot harder then it would with Dextron.

I will use type F all the time for a few reasons. Its cheep, it works good, its cheep, its easy to get, its cheep, and it doesnt cost me much.... lol

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My shee came with Bel Ray Gearsaver 80 and that's all I'll run it's like $3.99 a quart from rocky mountain I just add it to my orders every now and then. I typically change my fluid 1-2 times a year and have had no problems so far, my engine is sitting on my bench right now and I'll tell you if I change my mind on the bel ray when I check out the tranny this week. So far the 8-9 year old clutch fibers look pretty good but I am going to put in new clutch fibers anyway everything else in the clutch area looks new.

sounds like most everone who uses type f has had great luck with it ,and it may bevery well be an excellent alternative to the specilized 6 $ a quart tranny oils ,but for me,personaly, im not willing to chance it when i know the other oils are good for my motors tranny and clutch life . :bolt:

I use tractor ATF in mine, never change the oil and beat the livin' daylights out of it every ride. $8 for 2 gallon jug. Shifts better now too.

310435[/snapback]

I'm with you. I just buy the cheap crap at Pep boys by the gallon for like $5. I almost never change the fluid and beat the crap out of mine. I have been running the same Toomey clutch now for two years and it's still holding up with no slipping.

As long as it says type-F on it, I put it in mine.

yea if you are will to pay the whole whoopin $7 for some bell ray then you won't have to change your oil every single trip...

Just get a magnetic drain plug :) and use good oil...It's not that expensive! You won't see me using crap oil in my banshee for Pre-mix, and the case is much more of a pain to rebuild thant he topend.

My shee came with Bel Ray Gearsaver 80 and that's all I'll run it's like $3.99 a quart from rocky mountain I just add it to my orders every now and then.  I typically change my fluid 1-2 times a year and have had no problems so far, my engine is sitting on my bench right now and I'll tell you if I change my mind on the bel ray when I check out the tranny this week.  So far the 8-9 year old clutch fibers look pretty good but I am going to put in new clutch fibers anyway everything else in the clutch area looks new.

310699[/snapback]

Thats what all of my friends run, they have no problems. So they convinced me into running the bel ray 80w. So far so good!

Man, I,ve been using Moble 1... Maybe I should rethink my oil. I can get a bucketload of type f for 5 bucks. <_<

Anyone here have any input on potential problems switching from a fully synthetic back to a petro based oil? I've heard that there could be issues.

Thats what all of my friends run, they have no problems. So they convinced me into running the bel ray 80w.  So far so good!

311807[/snapback]

Same here...info found here on the good 'ol HQ convinced me to switch after installing an aftermarket HD clutch. No complaints & like Justintoxicated said, if I don't run cheap pre-mix, why run cheap case oil?