used ATF in the cases last weekend

grounded

I normally use the $6 a quart maxima mtl fluid , but decided to try atf this time with a new clutch in the quad.

I ran the PISS out of it this weekend, fanning the clutch and duning at a brisk pace, could not tell one bit of difference in shift quality or otherwise. I might be looking at running this stuff instead because its so much cheaper , and I change the tranny fluid after every trip to the dunes .

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally use the $6 a quart maxima  mtl fluid , but decided to try atf this time with a new clutch in the quad.

I ran the PISS out of it this weekend, fanning the clutch  and duning at  a brisk pace,  could not tell one bit of difference in shift quality or otherwise.  I might be looking at running this stuff instead because its so much cheaper , and I change the tranny fluid after every trip to the dunes .

310279[/snapback]

atf is badnews in a shes bottom end it is the equivalent of 10w ,auto motor oils and quad oils weight value os different ,i know guys who have tried in 250 dirtbikes because they heard its chemically same yamaha tranny oil but it destroyed (fried)my buddys clutch big time,its not worth it get some thing thicker to protect that bottom end !! B)

I've tried it back when I raced dirt bikes, and it seemed like it wore the clutch fast. ATF does not have the lubricating properties that oil does, I usually either run BELRAY 85W gearsaver or a good quality 10W30 motor oil, However ATF does have a lot of detergent in it and works great run for very short times to clean up the trani, and will also help swell up seeping gaskets.

you know it sure is funny. atf is used in auto tranny in all vehicles. my pu weighs 4000 or more and i pull trailers. there are a shit load of clutchs in a vehicle tranny. ive ran it for a while, bdbanshee ran it for yrs, he was the one that told me about it. havent had a problem with it. i do change it regularly about every 3 months. keep it fresh.

if you pour out belray 85w gearsaver, i looks just like it, smell almost like it also.

i use only TYPE F though. it has better shifting, lubricants than like dexron.

i had an 84 gmc pu with a shift kit in it. with type f it would bark the tires, using anything else it would shift like normal.

plus its like 2 dollars a bottle. ive ran 10-40 in my tranny once. it was a bitch to shift. i will stick with what seems to be working for me

:shrugani: I havn't ever tried type F maybe thats the way to go I only tried dexron and didn't like it due to having to adjust the clutch alot more than normal. I know what you mean about Gearsaver looking like ATF, but it doesn't seem to wear the clutch like the DEX did. So maybe Its more like Type F :shrugani: . Might have to try it out :D

I use tractor ATF in mine, never change the oil and beat the livin' daylights out of it every ride. $8 for 2 gallon jug. Shifts better now too.

310435[/snapback]

thats old school :cheers: go to the local coop and load up

ATF type F here too, though not as many miles/years as some of you have :) BTW, for those mentioning Dexron, etc, you *want* to use Type F -- something about the additives in it. But, there's nothing wrong with running it in the shee, at least not thus far for me.

And whoever said it didn't have lubricating properties... sure it does :) It may not have the same properties as 10w30 but it has more than enough for the bottom end, if you keep it changed.

atf is badnews in a shes bottom end it is the equivalent of 10w ,auto motor oils and quad oils weight value os different ,i know guys who have tried in 250 dirtbikes because they heard its chemically same yamaha tranny oil but it destroyed (fried)my buddys clutch big time,its not worth it get some thing thicker to protect that bottom end !! B)

310306[/snapback]

OK.... Whatever.... I've ran ATF for 15 years now. In my CR500 and my CR250 Which I ran in 3 outdoor motorcross series, and all three of my banshees. Dexron III may fry it, I have no idea. I only use Type F tranny fluid and have NEVER rebuilt a tranny in any of my bikes. The clutches wear as normal.

Don't believe the hype, I have no idea why people are so dedicated to the $6.00 a quart stuff when Type F has been PROVEN time and time again. Why haven't you seen anyone post one here "ATF BLEW MY TRANNY UP"........... It's never happened!

yeah its for ford. for some reason it got good additives in it adn shifts way better than the others. on my buick i put a full race shift kit in it. i would shift hard to begin with, but type f made it shift faster smoother than the dexron. dexron is really thin also.