Dune Port Newbie

hey guys, newbie here. I hope you guys can turn me in the right direction. I’m currently re-sealing my motor and was told by a friend that I should might as well as mods and do a dune port. My question is, if I port my cylinders, do I have to get bigger carbs? I currently have stock carbs with tors delete.  What do I need to adjust exactly if I do a dune cylinder port? 

99 stock

mods:

wiseco clutch basket, billet shift star, cool head pro design, lockout clutch, t5’s 

No need for larger carbs, oem are good for 65-70-ish hp before they really start to choke the motor. Realistically, if thinking of having port work done, I’d get aftermarket pipes before carbs. Like 375 said, go with something your builder recommends. And on the builder note, please….make life easier on yourself and send it to an ACTUAL builder. We have plenty of them that are recommended on here……don’t just send the cylinders to some dude who says he can port them because he’s close to you. 

Call em up……the hood ones will ask questions like “what aftermarket parts do you currently have on your bike” and “what type of performance are you looking for”

I went through Jeff at F.A.S.T. Racing and he asked me things like my riding conditions, what I wanted in terms of performance, my riding style, what fuels I wanted to run or have access to, current bike setup…..

super glad I went him, he kept me up to date on the whole process and even had me call him with compression numbers after i finished the build to verify i wasn’t above what the fuel could handle.

aside from port work, I’d also recommend pipes, air filter, true/weld the crank, timing, and possibly having the transfer ports ported to match the dune port (your builder will know what I’m talking about)

I rebuilt my 04 for the first time back in October 2022. All I did for my rebuild was a Driveline stock stroke crankshaft that’s true & welded with OEM crank seals. My cylinders are not Ported and are bored .020 with stock head. I’m running Pro X pistons and Pro X complete gasket kit with Mac Daddy Racing complete billet high flow water pump kit with billet water pump gear. My only mods at the moment are pipes, carbs, reeds and air filter. All I can say is she rips for my riding style and I don’t have to worry about the others that I ride with. I’m happy where it’s at and I’m gonna leave it where it’s at…

You can definitely get the cylinders ported. If it’s already apart it would be worth making a few other easy and cheap upgrades that make the rest of the package run right. You’ll need domes for your set up, and a timing plate would be worth tossing on there. The carbs can be jetted for the new set up. A ported stock bore/stroke set up dialed in could make 60ish hp depending on how it’s set up.