Need help adjusting my clutch

6 minutes ago, kawa110 said:

^^^nevermind...I just saw that it's a new cable...

Damaged actuator arm?

The actuator seems to be working just fine, how would I know if it's defected? I doubt it is, it's really just feels like my cable even though I know it isnt

7 minutes ago, hoppedupandcutdown said:

^^That^^

Are your 6 pressure plate bolts completely tight?

Forgot about this. Those need to be hand tight.  A clutch puller will hold it in place, or i take a rag and wedge it inbetween the primary drive and clutch gear so it dont move. 

13 hours ago, trickedcarbine said:

Buy a Clymer manual. Their procedure works every time. 

About to, since I keep hearing about it and the quad didn't come with a manual. But I don't think it would help me right now. I'm not doing anything wrong, something is wrong with the quad itself..

but all 6 of my screws and springs are in nice and tight. 

You may have already mentioned this but have you checked your perch/lever? Is anything bent? Lever possibly wore out or maybe cracked where your cable goes in? If you have everything put together correctly it almost sounds like your not getting enough "throw". You said this is a new to you bike so are you sure the clutch and everything is together right? Is it possible somebody has a wrong bolt in the adjuster?

11 hours ago, camp0429 said:

You may have already mentioned this but have you checked your perch/lever? Is anything bent? Lever possibly wore out or maybe cracked where your cable goes in? If you have everything put together correctly it almost sounds like your not getting enough "throw". You said this is a new to you bike so are you sure the clutch and everything is together right? Is it possible somebody has a wrong bolt in the adjuster?

It's a possibility, I'm on a trip right now.. much needed that banshee was just giving me a little too much trouble. Checked everything and everything looked pretty good. I got the quad used so it's possible some things weren't put together right. But I got as far as swapping the clutch hub and that hasn't changed a thing for me. New cable, added 2 screws/springs I was missing. Got a new ball, didn't need it. I just did the adjustment to the best I could with arrows aligned on top of the case and perch screwed all the way out for most tension and I filled her up with tranny fluid before I left. I will try firing her up when I get back and see if the actual function of the clutch has improved.. which I highly doubt.

If not I will take the quad to someone with more experience, since I pretty much have no other choice.

Does it have 1 (not 0, not 2) thrust washers between  basket and hub?

Sometimes the oil will stick them on and it's hard to tell.

A Clymers manual would be invaluable for you, I'm certain that alone would help you figure this out.

That being said, be careful taking it somewhere, "motorcycle mechanics" are NOT necessarily Banshee mechanics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoppedupandcutdown said:

Does it have 1 (not 0, not 2) thrust washers between  basket and hub?

Sometimes the oil will stick them on and it's hard to tell.

A Clymers manual would be invaluable for you, I'm certain that alone would help you figure this out.

That being said, be careful taking it somewhere, "motorcycle mechanics" are NOT necessarily Banshee mechanics

I'll get my ands on that manual soon, not too sure it would help me out right now though.. by taking it to someone I meant my boy, he's pretty experienced with breaking these shees open and putting them back together like nothing. Hopefully he can spot my issue. I haven't gotten behind the basket, but the hub did have one washer behind it that I put on when I swapped the hub.. I was talking to someone at a dealership & they meantioned a washer behind my basket by something called a "clutch boss" that if it's missing that might be my issue, but I heard of this after I tightened the new hub on.. & getting that thing off and back on tight was a pain since I don't have an impact driver.

hopefully I don't have to tear into it like that again as I doubt it's something internal like that at this point.. plus I already closed her up and poured oil & coolant in, everything looked nice in there. All 6 screws are on good one spring is being compressed more than another but it's because it's longer I'm guessing it's a heavy duty spring, figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal.. I was missing 2 springs and screws and my buddy gave me 2 off his spare motor

at this point I've pretty much done everything I can. I don't think I've left any stone unturned 

So I just came back from the first ride since I opened up my case to adjust the clutch. And I noticed a few things. My throttle is kinda sticking at times, I'm gonna have a buddy check that out. & now my clutch is working decently, not perfectly at all, still wasn't able to get it feeling right. But it rides. So I took it out warmed it up started ripping it and sometimes not every single time but once every 5 mins my clutch would go completely soft on me during 4th and 5th gear. After that I'm pretty much shifting with no clutch and engine breaking because my clutch is completely gone. Pull up back into my yard  and clutch starts working again, so I go back out, and same thing. What could be going on? How can I get my clutch working right? Soon im gonna swap levers to see if that helps.. but what else??

do you have the correct number of friction and steel plates in the clutch?  if i had it all ripped appart, i would have put a pancake bearing in there, so you dont have to worry about the ball seizing.  

as for throttle sticking, does the cable move freely, and does it have any sharp kinks in the cable or is it all smooth curves?