Need help adjusting my clutch

Just picked up an 03 banshee I took it to a buddy's house and he told me the actuator (on top of the engine) needs to be aligned with the two arrows when handclutch is not being pulled and mine was all the way to the left and pretty much matched arrows when I pulled the clutch. Clutch was a little stiff and not smooth so he told me to open up my case and check it out in there. So I did but when I screw the adjuster in there, it doesn't move my actuator, and when it does it barely moves it. What's worse is that now the outer plate (the one that holds all clutch plates together) is now spinning on me instead of being held in place and actually moving the whole gear. Is this normal?? Please help!! What's the right way to have my clutch and how do I do it??

First, the outer plate only goes on 3 of the 6 ways so the splines engage. There are arrow to go by on the plate and hub. The ones on the hub are in the dots so are hard to see. Either way, put it on so the splines engage.

Second, completely loosen the cable at the handlebar lever. 

While pushing the actuator on the top of the case over with your finger against the return spring tension, screw the adjuster in the center of the pressure plate until the arrows line up.

After all that, adjust at the bars for a little slack. Done

And welcome to BHQ

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply, glad to become a member. Just bought this she used almost a week ago and pretty much rode it for 30 minutes before I started noticing issues. Got a pretty good price for it so that isn't the worry. My issue with the clutch is that when I have the arrows aligned on the actuator and tighten the retention bolt to hold it, I go to pull the clutch and it's almost loose, I adjust the lever all the way till there's barely any slack and all that does it allow some tension and it only moves the actuator like a cm past the arrow, if even a cm.

Could I be in need of a new cable? Might it be the lever? I have no clue what else to do. I have swapped clutch hubs because the old hub had a screw stripped in there which didn't allow me to insert one of the spring & bolts for the pressure plate. So even now with all 6 bolts in there still having the same issue.

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i66.tinypic.com/efl1kw.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

that is with clutch not being held

This is with clutch held all the way in

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i66.tinypic.com/bf25qw.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

its like the cable is too long and doesn't pull on it enough?? There is a lot of slack on my clutch lever it is not all the way out and solid

When I adjust my clutch I take the cable completely off the arm. Then like hopped said, push that arm all the way to the clutch side and turn that adjuster screw in so the arrow is just a tad after the arrow, then tighen down the lock nut on the adjusting bolt on ur pressure plate.  Then Ill screw the barrel of my clutch cable all the way in so it has  a ton of slack, hook it back up to the arm, then adjust it so it has a touch of slack in the perch.  Maybe ur cable is stretched too who knows, 20 bucks for a new cable if it is.

• Like 1

I think the issue might be my cable cause I just got back home adjusted it perfectly in the case and then I went up to the perch and made it all the way tight so that it wouldn't have too much slack and I realized the more out I pulled the perch adjusted the better my clutch got.. it seems to work properly when the perch is screwed off and I pull on it to give the lever some tension so I'm assuming my cable is over stretched? I'll be hitting up some local shops tomorrow to see if they got a replacement cable... before I do that anyone got anything else in mind that could be my issue? 

If ur cable has to be completely unscrewed from ur perch for it to be in correct adjustment, try a new cable.  But obviously when you have it screwed completely all the way in while you adjust your clutch, you have to unscrew it quite a bit to get it back to proper adjustment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayesully810 said:

If ur cable has to be completely unscrewed from ur perch for it to be in correct adjustment, try a new cable.  But obviously when you have it screwed completely all the way in while you adjust your clutch, you have to unscrew it quite a bit to get it back to proper adjustment

Yeah I've seen the videos for them everything just works like it's supposed to lmao. But I will try finding a new cable tomorrow and post the results. Appreciate the help fellas

That's the video I've been following. I just got back swapped clutch cables and adjusted it again in the case to line up the arrows but when I go to pull the clutch it's really soft and barely moving the actuator. So when I pull all the slack on the perch out so that it's almost screwed off it's still not enough tension to pull that actuator like it should.. & the pressure plate barely moves out when I pull the clutch too.. what else can it be guys??!!

e- when the arrows are lined up the adjuster bolt is really soft, like it's barely screwed in, could this be my issue? If so what's the fix

Edited by Rawnold