need help, run in with highway patrol and my bike is gone

Hi guys, I'm going to try and make this short. Was riding on the 4th with some buddies. Was a great day. Coming home we get pulled by ohio highway patrol for "speeding". All he wanted to do was talk about the bikes and who they belonged to and where we got them. So my just broke in 391 shee is on my trailer in my name with my bike. They were checking vins. Mine had the problem. 10 years ago I had the Damn thing sandblasted and powdercoated. He couldn't see it. So I'm on the side.of the highway scraping my powder coat with ago screwdriver since it's all I had. The outline of some blur was there but no real legible numbers. I didn't want to sand on it and erase them all. This bike is 100% legit. I even had my girlfriend drive 45 minutes with the title and the plate for it. So he says since he can't read all the numbers legibly, it's confiscated until an investigator comes to try and see what he can do. He claims if they can't get a number that it will be destroyed. I hope he can get the Damn number. I have $7000 in this bike from the time I bought it 10 years ago till now. I can't believe this is happening and I could lose my bike forever! I guess I don't know if I should seek.legal advice or not or if anybody else has had anything like this? It makes me sick to my stomach and I just want to beat the shit out of "somebody".

No some sort.of it is there but it needs help. I would hope the investigator has the proper tools the "raise" the vin. I have been doing a lot of reading on how to raise the Vin out of a ground up surface like how they pull serial numbers out of pistols that have been shaved off. If he can I will, or I will hire a metallurgist locally that I can pay to go and use his magic to reveal the impressions. I have too much money in this for these fuck wads to take my shit. I swear where to they get off doing this shit. I mean I get it u check but my story is legit, I have my receipt from blast and powdercoating and have a title! Should I get an attorney now or wait for the investigator. This bike was caked in mud , you couldn't even see it was a shee, so if they are fucking riding it I will know and will prob be in jail.

• Like 1

Get an attorney. Get you shit back. It sucks but if you get another frame with a title when they powder it make sure they block of the vin part in a small box shape then have them clear it so vin is visible and you still have your powder. Yes it's a little eye sore not having that spot powdered your choice of color but if it saves you a hell of a lot of trouble down the road as you already know, it's worth it.

I would suggest doing the following. Getting a lawyer to put an injunction in so the police department can't destroy the quad. While doing this, try to talk to a cop/investigator from a different town/station about what is going on and the best way to prove the quad is yours. A lawyer can help with this too, but a cop might know other ways. Also, might help to try a few different cops from different places, never know if the cop you get is a huge dick or very helpful.

Were you riding on a public road or public property?

He said it was on his trailer so I would guess it was on a public road since he was speeding

Muriatic acid can bring the Vin back sometimes, you can start with diluted. If you can't bring the Vin back it would get destroyed in California. Just the frame though not everything else. And this is just the way CHP does it here.

Go and speak to a Justice of the Peace or a First Appearance Officer if you have such a thing in the States.  This is essentially a free trial you can have to plead your case. If you have any pictures of your build bring them along as proof of what youve done.  You should be able to get this bike back.

I will now be leaving my VIN sitcker when powder coating after reading this nightmare.