new hot rods purchase ?

jscharphorn

cool thread lol, if your going to send your cyls out to get ported for a 4mm you might as well get a fresh rebore done too, then youre set for years of brapping

if you just want to freshen up the motor, you could hone it yourself and see if it specs out, honing wont fix oval shaped bores, sloppy piston tolerances can end in engine catastrophe

if you want to do things cheap you better be up to speed on checking these things

OK, thanks, as far as the multi posts, just figured I would get my post seen seeing some guys want to argue in it and fill it up.

Whenever I've experienced this it ended up needing a bore and pistons and rings. Should just do it all as one with the porting ect and whatever else you do. Last time I rebuilt a snowmobile that had staggered compression like that I got lucky, The piston skirts were cracked and ready to break off.

As far as rods go I have never had a single rod failure stock or hotrods it just depends on assembly , tune, setup. As far as using superior rods I'm not sold . Are there better option I'm sure there are I know a cpl . The first thing that comes to mind is "the wheel is round for a reason"

when a rod breaks you may as well throw everything but the transmission in the scrap bin. if you had good luck with oem and hotsrods then i see no reason you should change. i prefer to over build stuff alittle so i dont have to worry about it coming apart. wasnt my intention to change anyones way of thinking. cant remember what thread but some dude had a rod let go and it didnt look like there was much left to salvage

while back i posted the full volume of these engines with stock components. after you install the +4 crank, 115 rod, 795 piston, vf4 etc, your case ratio changes. most people dont fool with anything under the piston but you can take the ratio higher or lower depending on which parts you mix and match.