Grand River Racing's Inframe the Hooker and the Stripper

O.G.

How dare you.

Slandering the PT mids. IMO, MX isn't about power at all. Once you get 40 hp you can clear every jump on the track, and from that point on its ALL about having a bike you can ride HARD for 20 minutes without getting tired, which means NO hit coming out of the corners and shifting gears as little as possible. Ill take a 40hp 4 stroke curve all day over a 65 hp aggressive port with pro circuits. Pro circuits are definitely NOT MX pipes. But Im not suggesting they are one of the two pipes you are talking about....

Bro, none of these guys understand how good the PT pipes are. I love riding my girls bike for the exact reason there so good. The bike just pulls consistently from the time I'm on the gas to the time I let off. No other bike I've ridden (banshees only) have done that.

O.G. could you post up a pick of your Inframes please

I agree with Gusto Andy, lets see some pictures of both new versions of your inframes. I'm assuming your hydro foaming these new pipes? I personally prefer hydro foamed custom pipes over custom built hand coned/ring pipes in both looks and performance. I've read that the tig welds on the Hand Coned Pipes cause a interruption or break in sound waves that carry the unused fuel/air charge that escapes from the exhaust ports back into the combustion chamber. It makes since, but a lot of guys get great performance out of the ring pipes but I would choose a set of hydro-foamed pipes every time if I had the choice between the two.    

BHQHandConedVSHydroFoamed_zps970a2ab3.jp         

Edited by Thack82

in all reality the "mx" port that i do is very similar to the "drag" port i would do.  the biggest difference is in how much would someone pay for it.   that would result in how much work i would do for it.  im sure anyone you call that builds motors you said  hey asshole  i only have 150 bucks to spend and i wand a "drag port"  would not get as much work ( time spent) as the guy who said i dont care what it cost's  just build it  both types of motor HOWEVER would have completely different port timings, angles of the transfer's and exhaust port shapes and size,   the no holds barred would both be fully welded cyls but have power bands in differnt realms of runnin.  so building one style of motor and thats it  then expecting the pipe to do all the work is a little ludacrist..  

THIS IS MY OPINION SO IF YOU GET PISSED WELL TO BAD pt mids suck.  for a mx pipe you might as well run modded stockers. they do have a very nice clearance for your legs  but power wise i dont see how they can be called the bad ass mx pipe..  in the last few years i have found 2 pipes that offer much stronger low end and midrage pull.  the only reason MOST like the pt is because they really dont do shit and have nearly no pipe hit.  so that means less wear on the rider ( due to lack of real training if actually in mx racing) i personally feel a predictable power band is much easier to ride.   in mx type riding,..   dunes also seem to favor this type of motor output as well.  

ah who the hell cares anyways!

I agree with you on the PT Mid's Cam, they do suck! I ran a set for a long time, I think the way the PT Expansion Chamber is twisted and the stinger tube section they have thats twice as long as every other set of pipes that are built for the Banshee prevent them from pulling heat from the cylinders. I attribute a lot of the over heating issues I had when I ran stock cylinders to the Paul Turner Pipes. The power flattens off real fast with them as well. When I ran them on a trail ported 392cc Serval I ended up running 16/41 gearing so I wouldn't get my ass handed to me in a open field. I have tried a few different pipes that performed down low and made tq like the PT Mid's did that also pulled hard in the mid/top range. I would put the PT Mid's in the same category that I put the Mono-Pipes.       

The pipes are not even made yet so how can he show you a picture?

I figured he had at least made one set of generic prototypes to show potential customers.

I would want to have a idea of what they would look like before I paid to have a set made. In order to truly know how a set of pipes will perform they need to be tested. A good computer program will do a lot and get a builder close but small areas will need to be tweaked. A new set of custom pipes will always need minor changes after dyno and real life testing is done. Thats why I was assuming he could post up a few pictures.

I said I felt like the design of the PT's "attributed" to some of my over heating issues. Which means they didn't help matters any. Any Pipe or engine builder will tell you the way a pipe is designed will effect the amount of heat they are capable of pulling from the cylinders which directly effects your engine operating temperatures.

I talked to Curtis Duncan a few different times on the phone about the PT Mid's and PT High Rev's when I had them on my trail ported 392cc Serval and he told me himself there were better pipe choices available for the 68mm+ CP Cylinders, and the PT Mid's and High Revs were both developed for 349cc-385cc engines. He didn't say they wouldn't work he said there were better choices for the CP Cylinders.

I never comment or say anything derogatory about performance parts/components unless I've had direct experience dealing with them. The quality of the Paul Turner Pipes was outstanding but I didn't like them on my Banshee. When I went with a different set of pipes it was night and day difference, I didn't loose any bottom end or throttle response and what I gained in the mid/top was huge. My bike even ran better when I went up to a set of 32mm Mikuni TM's with the new pipes over the 28mm Keihin PWK's and I had tried a set of 33mm Keihins a few years before with the PT Mid's and I didn't like them. 

If you like the PT's thats great, every motor and in particular setup performs different with a different combination of performance components, but in my opinion the PT's are far from the elite in-frame pipes.