I don't get why you guys say I'm readventing the wheel? The stock Banshee frame is heavy and the front suspension geometry is far from ideal for somebody that MX races or XC races. I'm trying to bring the suspension and frame geometry up to date with the new factory produced race quads without giving up all the things that make the Banshee what it is today. Compared to most of the 4-Strokes I ride with my Banshee feels heavy even though the total wet weights aren't to far off. The Streamline Steering Stablizer I run doesn't help matters either but its useful in the woods.

You'd spend a lot less money just putting a Banshee motor in a YFZ frame.

There's ZERO reason to spend all that time and money retrofitting YFZ parts onto a Banshee frame.

Damn Tyler! $3,000 won't even get a sand blasted Banshee frame and a stock YFZR Sub-Frame modified? What peice range would something like that be?

I don't want to do a heart transplant on a YFZR because I want to keep the terditional Banshee look. It's not that I don't think the Hybrids are bad ass because a lot of them I see are. If its going to cost more than $3,000 just to mod the Banshee frame and a YFZR Sub-Frame I guess I'll hold off until I find a YFZR aluminum frame, a spare Banshee frame and a YFZ-450R sub-frame and send everything to my buddy's at Qualex and let them mod the Banshee frame to match the YFZ's geometry, gusset the weak points, and mod the aluminum sub. It might take them a while but they can do it and make it right. I just hate to wait until I find a aluminum YFZ frame for them to go off of.

Outlaws and eliminator chassis are sweet. But for the cost, I'd rather make the updates and slimmer seat section. You folks saw what Jordan is doing the look alike chassis for right? This is totally doable, but I think it'll be about 4,500 not 2/3k

the way your going you might as well buy the outlaw chassis

You want the best of everything but you dont want to do a "transplant" which would be LOADS better and all because of looks is the reason you dont want to.....

Worried about companies not making aftermarket parts for the yfz... you do know ANY builder we just mentioned COULD build you the custom parts you wanted for that hybrid.... VS you wanting to re spin the wheel with something thats going to cost you tons more once and if a builder agree's....

I duno imo... the hybrid is proven and im sure the yfz model you want to be done is just as doable

Like I said, I like the YFZ Hybrids and I'm sure they are one of the elite setups but I want a Banshee that has good frame and suspension geometry. The Banshee Hybrid Frame I drew up has 2009+YFZ-450R Frame/Suspension Geometry with 11 degrees of front rake. Yamaha's YFZR was the first out of the box "race ready" sport quad ever built that a professional rider could buy off the show room floor, tune the stock suspension to their liking, and actually be a threat to the competion. From what I understand Yamaha spent 5yrs developing and perfecting the 450R, their factory race team dirt bike motocross racers said it was the only quad they had ever riden that they could transition over to with ease. The R has a lot more technology, time, and expense invested in its design than its predecessor the 2004-2008 YFZ450.

The Outlaw Frames are nice and they are a big improvent over a stock unmodified Banshee frame but they use the technology and geometry that Honda developed for the 250R 30yrs ago. Not to mention your married to LSR on A-Arms, Swingarms, and other components.

This Banshee/YFZ-450R Hybrid Frame that I designed also has the clearance thats needed to mount a 7" 12V Thinline Radiator Fan between the Steering Stem and a Oversize Aluminum Radiator. This feature alone solves one of the biggest issues assosiated with the Banshee, the infamous over heating issue! Not to mention it has all the newest technology available to the ATV Racing World and its completely upgradable, any stock or aftermarket YFZR A-Arms, Shocks, Steering Stem, Hubs, Spindles, Brakes, ect will bolt right on it. If Walsh or Roll Design come out with a new set of A-Arms or Fox develops a new Float Shock you can upgrade if you choose to, your never married to one aftermarket suspension or shock company.

The YFZR has 11.0" of rear suspension travel. With Elka's Banshee Long Travel Linkage and the right dual rate Elka or Fox Podium Rear Shock you can bump the Banshee's rear suspension travel from 8.7" to 11.5", which in turn matches the Hybrid Frame's front and rear suspension travel and allows it to work together like the Yamaha research and development team designed it to on the 450R. I opted to keep the Banshee rear suspension setup because I wasn't aware of any other sport quad that had as many different swingarm configurations that are available for the Banshee. You can buy any style roundhouse swingarm in any length you want, from 25+ different suspension builders, and its capible of producing the rear travel needed to match the YFZR's Front Travel. By going back with the Banshee Rear Desighn every single factory component even the air box/lid can still be used if the rider chooses to do so.

Last but not least a Banshee thats using this Hybrid YFZR/Banshee Frame constructed out of chromoly steel with a 10pc gusset kit, and powder coated will be stronger and it reduce the total wet weight of the bike in full trim by 18-21lbs. Other than the time and money that would need to be invested in order to build this frame correctly I don't see a down side to it, and I for sure don't think I'm readventing the wheel. Nobody sells a production aftermarket frame that addresses all these issues and offers the advantages that this chassis offers. You can do a heart transplant and create a YFZ Hybrid but its not a Banshee.

image_zps5f0ac135.jpg

Edited by Thack82

the way your going you might as well buy the outlaw chassis

You want the best of everything but you dont want to do a "transplant" which would be LOADS better and all because of looks is the reason you dont want to.....

Worried about companies not making aftermarket parts for the yfz... you do know ANY builder we just mentioned COULD build you the custom parts you wanted for that hybrid.... VS you wanting to re spin the wheel with something thats going to cost you tons more once and if a builder agree's....

I duno imo... the hybrid is proven and im sure the yfz model you want to be done is just as doable

Ride.Race.Live I'm sure you've seen Banshee's with the Maier Custom "Raptor" Style Plastic, 99.999999% of all Banshee owners absolutely HATE that Plastic and the guys that run it and like it catch all kinds of hell. I don't know how many times I've heard people say they hate that plastic and a Banshee should look like a Banshee. The unique squared off front plastic and the radiator mounted high in the frame is one of the main reasons the Banshee is so well known today. Even people that wouldn't know a TRX250R from a TRX-450R can point a Banshee out in a large group of quads. I feel the same way about a Hybrid with a heart transplant as I do the Maier Raptor Style Plastic, they make since and they look good but its not a Banshee.

alright fair enough you still want the banshee look.... still possible.. but I doubt your going to get the best of everything in the process...

I wish I had the skills and equipment required to make the modifications myself to a stock Banshee frame. I would work on it until I felt like it was perfect and I was getting all the best assets from both quads rolled into one hybrid frame, but I can't tig weld and I don't have all the equipment to do the job right and everything turn out perfect.

I'm sure you know the YFZR has a short narrow frame with long a-arms and a longer swingarm. I'm not sure right off hand what the total length is on the YFZR aluminum frame without the program here in front of me but I feel pretty certain it was around 3" shorter than the Banshee Frame and the wheel bases is made up with a longer swingarm.

Ideally, I would want the new hybrid frame to be the same length as the YFZR frame but that could pose a issue if a stock Banshee frame is used as the platform you start with. I'll need a YFZR frame in hand before anybody will be able to do anything. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Just a thought. Look at bend tech. Figure out what software package you need and draw up your parts. They will create prints of every tube. A metal shop could bend the tubes to the prints. Bend tech also lets you make dxf files you can send to jd to cut the tabs etc. Kind of like making a kit. It would be time consuming and at the top of your budget not incl. Your labor hours.

• Like 1

Just a thought. Look at bend tech. Figure out what software package you need and draw up your parts. They will create prints of every tube. A metal shop could bend the tubes to the prints. Bend tech also lets you make dxf files you can send to jd to cut the tabs etc. Kind of like making a kit. It would be time consuming and at the top of your budget not incl. Your labor hours.

Thank you M671054, I'll look into that. I have a machine shop that builds custom parts for me all the time. As expensive as it sounds like its going to be I think my best bet is to keep my eye out for a wrecked or blown up YFZR and buy it. Then buy a used Banshee frame that's in good shape and send them both to Qualex and have them mod and gusset the stock Banshee frame.

That way they can take their time and make it right and my Banshee won't be down. Then When it's finished and powder coated I can bolt the new arched latter swingarm and a-arms on it and transplant everything over.