Pods and there effectiveness

If you don't think that what I'm saying is relevant, stick a piece of sheet metal between your pod filters to completely separate them.  In some cases, there will be no change due to equal changes in resonance.  In most, however, there will be an alteration of the torque curve.  Jetting can potentially be affected as well. 

Sorry! This is a little off topic, but I have always wondered, how much it will affect to a power, when ususally these pod-filters sucks pre-heated air in?

I mean, there is hot stinger tubes right next to them. Chambers and hot cylinders + a radiator, all in front or aside.

Out of frame drag pipes, small "drag" radiator (lower position) and running alky (cooler motor) helps those filters to get a little colder air.

Sorry my english.

I have been thinking of building somekind of "plenum" in front of carbs and move my K&N filters out of frame. Just for fun.

For what its worth I'll never run an Uni or any other type of foam filter on any of my machines. I am a K&N believer as long as they are oiled and are wearing an outwears. I will not run an K&N without the outerwear unless I'm out on the ice. I think the K&N capture the fine dust particles better than the UNI or foam filters. I spray the intakes with the K&N oil and the air box as well. This is coming from someone who has built a few fourstokes and one banshee.

I ride in sand with areas that are like a silt and sand mix. The silt dust has gotten by the UNI every time even after I was sure it was cleaned and oiled well. I spray the intake walls with the K&N oil and it captures any dust so that I can tell if the filter is doing its job. Just a clean paper towel will tell all.

Id probably cut the ends out of two of those filters so you can glue in a piece of pvc pipe. That way you can clamp another set of filters to the pvc ends.

This is a great idea. I think I will build a custom subby so I can get 4 filters stacked to a side. I'll be making all kinds of POWA on my stocker.

I ride in sand with areas that are like a silt and sand mix. The silt dust has gotten by the UNI every time even after I was sure it was cleaned and oiled well. I spray the intake walls with the K&N oil and it captures any dust so that I can tell if the filter is doing its job. Just a clean paper towel will tell all.

I've done that trick for years with white lithium grease on the inside of the carbs horn. One glance and you can see if ANYTHING got past the filter.

Great tip for others.

For what its worth I'll never run an Uni or any other type of foam filter on any of my machines. I am a K&N believer as long as they are oiled and are wearing an outwears. I will not run an K&N without the outerwear unless I'm out on the ice. I think the K&N capture the fine dust particles better than the UNI or foam filters. I spray the intakes with the K&N oil and the air box as well. This is coming from someone who has built a few fourstokes and one banshee.

only way a k&n will out perform a uni (as far as protection) is if you oiled the uni with shit ass oil.
  • Like 1

I've oiled my UNI with quality oil every time and I still have the factory hone marks in my main Banshee after over 40 tanks of gas.  Every time I've pulled my filter to clean it, everything post-filter has been spotless. 

I've never seen a UNI not perform well.  Furthermore, I've never seen any K&N filter more than a UNI in sand or dusty areas.  I used a K&N for about 20 minutes with quality oil and no outerwear and the carb on the 250R was spotted with dust.  I took it off and used a UNI and have never seen a speck of dust since. 

• Like 1

Uni or any dual stage foam will filter more then any gauze type filter and outerwear. < fact. However, the uni does clog up faster, which in my opinion is due to the fact that it catches more dirt with a much finer filter. When I ran uni's they literally got cleaned every ride. If you aren't in heavy dust the Gauze type filter is the better option.

Uni or any dual stage foam will filter more then any gauze type filter and outerwear. < fact. However, the uni does clog up faster, which in my opinion is due to the fact that it catches more dirt with a much finer filter. When I ran uni's they literally got cleaned every ride. If you aren't in heavy dust the Gauze type filter is the better option.

^^^^

I had UNI pods. Oiled them, rode on a 90° average for 2 week with no rain. Dust was wild. Pods were clogged to the point the bike wouldn't idle it was so rich.

these are what I used when I worked at the dealer. Best I found.  I tried Klotz areosol foam filter oil.. but it didn't tack up like these. I dont know if the aerosol bel-ray foam oil

is the same formulation as the quart jug.  never tried it.  i've also had the best luck with twin air for filters.

bel-ray-foam-filter-oil.jpg910-625_A.jpg

Sorry! This is a little off topic, but I have always wondered, how much it will affect to a power, when ususally these pod-filters sucks pre-heated air in?

I mean, there is hot stinger tubes right next to them. Chambers and hot cylinders + a radiator, all in front or aside.

i believe this is true. keep anything that can preheat the air as far away from the carbs as possible. or build a large airbox that can sheild out the heat. either around the filters or around the carb and filter might even be better if theres enough available space to do so

You will NEVER see a difference.

I've tried dyno runs with huge fans and with no fans. Water temp is the only factor that really matters.

If I blow a fan right at the filters to keep that area from heat soaking, the motor makes the same power as airflow on the nose of the bike.

Yes....you can debate the theory, but in reality the result has the impact of a gnat fart.

You will NEVER see a difference.

I've tried dyno runs with huge fans and with no fans. Water temp is the only factor that really matters.

If I blow a fan right at the filters to keep that area from heat soaking, the motor makes the same power as airflow on the nose of the bike.

Yes....you can debate the theory, but in reality the result has the impact of a gnat fart.

Short version of what I was about to say.  The effect is absolutely there, but it is incredibly negligible.